DCS VR on RTX2080maxQ

Pai

Hi everyone,

I am frothing to get into DCS in VR. Trying to figure which laptop ( required for work) I should get. Therefore, would appreciate any comments on how well RTX2080maxQ laptops handle DCS in VR.

Can I go for a nice slim frame with maxQ version, or is a chunky one with RTX2080 laptop edition a necessity?

Thanks!

For VR you need every little bit of GPU power as well as every MHz you can squeeze out of your CPU. By definition, a laptop is not the ideal device.

If you need a laptop, get one with all the horsepower you can even if it is 3-5 pounds heavier and has 2 PSU's. The lighter ( less mass ) it is the less it can usually cool the chips.

Get an Intel CPU that boosts towards 5G and the biggest GPU they have and you will still have a compromise as it will NOT be able to sustain those boost clocks, that is the truth.

How well it will perform has to be tested. You should not draw conclusions from GHz and MHz specs on a data sheet as likely, as said above, those are only short period boost clocks until the Firmware says " CLOCK DOWN or we will melt".

Sorry to say this. I have had multiple gaming laptops, even SLI ones, from Dell and Asus and none really performed as their desktop counterpart.

Cooling is the #1 issue.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Not really a "laptop" more of a mobile workstation. 9900K @ 5ghz and 2080

eurocom SkyX9C

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Thanks guys!

I was already planning to smash my piggybank, now i am considering to get a laptop for work and a desktop for dcs

The far better approach !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If you don't have the money for both, there's a sort of a hybrid solution involving an Alienware laptop (preferably some thicker model with good cooling for the CPU) connected to an Alienware external graphics case which would house a 2080Ti desktop graphics card or whichever.

For some reason, all the other brands' laptop external GPU solutions use Intel Thunderbolt 3 cases, but from what I've seen the performance hit is rather large (like at least 25% or more) as the TB3 controller gets overwhelmed.

Still, getting a separate desktop for DCS and some more portable laptop for work (i.e. thinner) would of course be a safer (less risky) choice.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!