Oh, C'mon Now!

Ercoupe

I flew my P-51 and set myself up against the new 190A. I got behind him, but it seems a little too fast. A Mustang shouldn't have that much trouble staying with an A model Focke Wulf. But that's not my complaint right now. I did manage to hit him. Again and again and again. "Fw190 hit, FW190 hit," over and over again. Dozens of hits. He goes on flying. The 190 finally manages to get behind me when I almost spun in. He shoots. Once. I'm dead!

After I crashed I'm shown the 190 flying around. He's a sieve. I've managed to put holes all over the airplane, especially his right wing. The right aileron is swiss cheeze and the wing and right side of the fuselage is full of holes.

Didn't bother him a bit.

I had flown the Spit against it last night, and 20mm do him in. But the plane seems to absorb 50 cal like it's a sponge.

I think that, and the speed, may need some work.

I flew my P-51 and set myself up against the new 190A. I got behind him, but it seems a little too fast. A Mustang shouldn't have that much trouble staying with an A model Focke Wulf. But that's not my complaint right now. I did manage to hit him. Again and again and again. "Fw190 hit, FW190 hit," over and over again. Dozens of hits. He goes on flying. The 190 finally manages to get behind me when I almost spun in. He shoots. Once. I'm dead!

After I crashed I'm shown the 190 flying around. He's a sieve. I've managed to put holes all over the airplane, especially his right wing. The right aileron is swiss cheeze and the wing and right side of the fuselage is full of holes.

Didn't bother him a bit.

I had flown the Spit against it last night, and 20mm do him in. But the plane seems to absorb 50 cal like it's a sponge.

I think that, and the speed, may need some work.

i think that AI fw190 a8 has still AI Dora FM that what im thinking now

about 50cal damage this is how it is sometimes 1 bullet will kill sometime you would need 100

that is why almost all late ww2 planes featured cannons

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Six 50's are pretty deadly if you watch USAAF gun camera footage. The U.S. continued to use them in it's fighters throughout the war. And then put them in the first generation jets. Actually, nearly all U.S. fighters had the browning 50 caliber machine gun as it's armament.

Well, maybe you could argue that I just didn't hit anything vital. A stretch I think, but okay. I'll go with that and continue testing.

Has the new damage model been already implemented?

nineline said no.

The A8 is a tough cookie for cal 50, i don't know how accurate this is but a B-17 gunner has a hard time killing me in my A8 while i get wrecked in seconds if i Im in a K4 or the D9. But i got couple of times where i couldn't use several cannons/mg anymore because my plane was looking like a sieve, but i was still flying :joystick:. Maybe because this is EA and WIP, for example you can fly all the time with max throttle without your engine overheating.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

The Anton has a radial engine, so no radiators to puncture - the usual demise of a 109, spit or stang is not a weakness on the Anton. It also has extra armour, as it is optimized for attacking 4-engine bombers. It is a tough plane, and was in real life. The Mustang's 6x.50s throw far less weight per second of fire than the 4xcannon + 2x13mm guns of the Anton. Again - designed for knocking down big tough bombers, this armament makes short work of any fighter plane.

If you catch an Anton with a good 1 second burst at convergence, it will go down. By contrast, it only takes one bullet from a .50 to take out a 109, if it hits the radiator.

In my opinion, the AI FW190A8 is too fast by a good bit, however. When I'm flying the Anton myself, I can get about 540 km at 5k, which I think is in the ballpark for the real bird. But the AI can catch me in my mustang if I am not fire-walling the throttle, and that is nonsense.

I've noticed that the I-16 is a tough little plane to take out - again with a radial engine - it can take a good pasting and stay in the sky.

And when we get our P-47, I'll be expecting a lot of complaints about it being "too tough", too. It also has a radial engine.

Edited by fencible

I dont know, .50 cal is able to knock out APCs and light armored vehicles, surely 6 of them can take down a plane effectively.

it alwayes depends where those bullets hit

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Has the new damage model been already implemented?

Some parts of it yes, by mistake as Nineline said. So far it looks great and you can really notice the difference in the damage you receive as you will see small pieces of your plane falling off. Also the sound when your are hit are different as well as the VFX. However, the 'pluffs' are all the same no matter the caliber of the ammunition used but Nineline also said that this is being tuned and it was not meant to be released yet.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

In 2.5.5 multi-player, I have seen the A8 go down pretty easy and other times soak up tons of rounds. I have started to get the idea that at least part of it might be network related, that not all parties are registering the hits.

Chatting with someone who said they fired on my mustang, they said the same thing, that they had poured a lot of rounds into me, where from my perspective, I saw some tracers, heard the ping from a hit and I rolled out of it with minimal damage.

In any light, until they have actually fully implemented the new damage model, there is not much to be said, they are working on it. We just have to wait and see.

Ping and netcode can play a large role in DM stuff. Also worth noting is that using missions built in older versions of DCS can cause some.... wonkiness with FM/DM as well. For whatever reason eekz, who runs pretty much the only regularly populated WWII server, has decided to go back to the same mission that was running on his server in DCSW 1. something or other, which definitely doesnt help with these things.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

My own testing of P51D guns, based on shooting up helpless AI aircraft that are taking off, is that the BF109K4 is MUCH tougher than the FW190A8 in the current incarnation of DCS World. Considerably so. I can consistently take out 4 FW190A8s in a single attack run, but can rarely take out more than one or two BF109K4, and sometimes only manage to damage them a bit. The survivors then quickly take revenge.

I've seen enough real gun camera footage to indicate that FW190s with radial engines WERE tough and took plenty of punishment from .50 cal guns.

And remember - we are forced to use the ineffective default box-pattern synchronization on our DCS P51ds, which greatly reduces the effect of the .50s and scatters the rounds like a shotgun, even at convergence range.

Edited by fencible

Given the Anton is 1. in early access Beta and 2. has been out less than a week, then combine that with the fact that the ENTIRE DAMAGE MODEL FOR WW2 A/C is in the final furlong of a long awaited upgrade - which it was confirmed the current release Anton DOES NOT YET HAVE - well...

I'm curious, what exactly do all you peeps in here griping about the perceived issues expect to accomplish?

And here my experiences differ, against a blind AI, or just getting in a good shot at convergence distance with my mustang, I have been able to shred ANY of the Axis aircraft with a 1 to 2 second burst, in either single or multiplayer.

Again, though, until the new damage model is fully in, will any discussion matter. They know it is off, the changes are coming, we just need to be patient. When they are in, then we can start with the bug killing discussions again.

The Anton has a radial engine, so no radiators to puncture - the usual demise of a 109, spit or stang is not a weakness on the Anton. It also has extra armour, as it is optimized for attacking 4-engine bombers. It is a tough plane, and was in real life. The Mustang's 6x.50s throw far less weight per second of fire than the 4xcannon + 2x13mm guns of the Anton. Again - designed for knocking down big tough bombers, this armament makes short work of any fighter plane.

If you catch an Anton with a good 1 second burst at convergence, it will go down. By contrast, it only takes one bullet from a .50 to take out a 109, if it hits the radiator.

In my opinion, the AI FW190A8 is too fast by a good bit, however. When I'm flying the Anton myself, I can get about 540 km at 5k, which I think is in the ballpark for the real bird. But the AI can catch me in my mustang if I am not fire-walling the throttle, and that is nonsense.

I've noticed that the I-16 is a tough little plane to take out - again with a radial engine - it can take a good pasting and stay in the sky.

And when we get our P-47, I'll be expecting a lot of complaints about it being "too tough", too. It also has a radial engine.

There is, however, an annular (do-nut shaped) radiator just behind the fan, for the oil.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Given the Anton is 1. in early access Beta and 2. has been out less than a week, then combine that with the fact that the ENTIRE DAMAGE MODEL FOR WW2 A/C is in the final furlong of a long awaited upgrade - which it was confirmed the current release Anton DOES NOT YET HAVE - well...

I'm curious, what exactly do all you peeps in here griping about the perceived issues expect to accomplish?

We're just having fun chatting about our favourite sim and sharing and comparing experiences. That's all we hope to accomplish. No thought policing required.