[REPORTED] underperforming engine

Vatikus

Yo-Yo has been tuning the engine a bit, I hope to see it hit the next Open Beta, so feel free to see what you see then.

I love all your graphs that I don't really understand...all I know is that she is always on the verge of a stall and can't be looped. Not helpful as a dogfighter. I seem to have her firewalled all the time - just waiting for a catastrophic engine failure. I'm sure she performed better for real in action. Supermarine developed the LF IX to counter her threat afterall.

I love all your graphs that I don't really understand...all I know is that she is always on the verge of a stall and can't be looped. Not helpful as a dogfighter. I seem to have her firewalled all the time - just waiting for a catastrophic engine failure. I'm sure she performed better for real in action. Supermarine developed the LF IX to counter her threat afterall.

i can do loops in A-8 as long as i can. you are doing something wrong maby you pull too hard ??

A-8 outperfrom early spits in speed and power departament not turning departament mkIX matched power and speed departament of A-8 only with roll rate spit lagged(mkix CW version appeared to match roll rate more closely)

you cant pull stick all way it will stall at every speed its called accelerated stall

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yes...sounds like accelerated stalls. I have tried looping her aggressively and gently and she drops a wing every time. The only time she will go over is after a dive from altitude at speed. I don't really understand her engine management. Is RPM supposed to do anything? I have it mapped and even using the throttle button there is no effect in performance or in the needles. Is it an auto function?

Is RPM supposed to do anything? I have it mapped and even using the throttle button there is no effect in performance or in the needles. Is it an auto function?

You have to switch Off "Komandogerat", then manual RPM setting works.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

You have to switch Off "Komandogerat", then manual RPM setting works.

Komandogerat should take care of rpm so in normal fligh should not bother you then

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

tbh I think it's just sad we got the 1.42 ata instead of the 1.55 or 1.68 ata engines. But it still feels underpowered in combat.

I still don't understand the story with the C3 injection system either, every source I read of talk about it for the A8 variant, so why is it not going to be done?

tbh I think it's just sad we got the 1.42 ata instead of the 1.55 or 1.68 ata engines. But it still feels underpowered in combat.

I still don't understand the story with the C3 injection system either, every source I read of talk about it for the A8 variant, so why is it not going to be done?

c3 injection (1.65/68 ata dont remember exact number) was added mostly only to improve max t/o weight for short airfields it could be engaged up to very low alt something like 1000m max so hardly usefull even for DCS envirmoment

Yes...sounds like accelerated stalls. I have tried looping her aggressively and gently and she drops a wing every time. The only time she will go over is after a dive from altitude at speed. I don't really understand her engine management. Is RPM supposed to do anything? I have it mapped and even using the throttle button there is no effect in performance or in the needles. Is it an auto function?

i dont remeber exactly but 400kph is enough to make nice loop oh remember to keep slip ball in centre without it you can only dream about loop no matter of the speed

Komandogerat should take care of rpm so in normal fligh should not bother you then

I am still none the wiser. What/where is this kommadogerat and should it be on or off? In Spit and P 51 rpm is managed by the pilot according to requirements. Not so in the A8?

I am still none the wiser. What/where is this kommadogerat and should it be on or off? In Spit and P 51 rpm is managed by the pilot according to requirements. Not so in the A8?

in A-8 kommandogerat(very similar to what bf190 and D-9 has) is a mechanical ECU which will change engine rpm to match best preformance set by designer so it is simply make easier to pilot in terms of engien managment.

why is that if you fly in p-51 at low MP and high rpm it is not good preformance wise, you should reduce rpm with MP to be in optimal engien settings but it is a lot of work for pilot

Komandogerat take this load off the pilot.

Crusing at 30"/3000 rpm you will burn way too much fuel than 30" 2000rpm

Edited by grafspee

I believe it is, every HP you can get while running away is taken

true but we have 1.42 ATA version same with we have p-51 and spit limited to 67" boost and we cant change that (67" in p-51 is actualy unusable so 61" fro p-51)

we have to go with what we have right now

i just tested fw190 a8 wow im shocked yo uare right it is so hard to do a loop in fw190 a8 now.

when i flown it at release it done loops just fine now it look like disaster. beraly touch stick and you are stalling

• ED Team

Far as I know we will get it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

i just tested fw190 a8 wow im shocked yo uare right it is so hard to do a loop in fw190 a8 now.

when i flown it at release it done loops just fine now it look like disaster. beraly touch stick and you are stalling

Thank you grafspee...I thought I was losing it. Yes it is impossible to stunt or dogfight it at present - unlike the Spitfire which is a pure delight (or was, before the recent rudder disaster).

I think ED needs to have a look at both, like right now.

Interestingly I noticed no difference between first release and current version in this regard.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Interestingly I noticed no difference between first release and current version in this regard.

Fox

i think i know what can be a problem last time i flown fw190 a8 i removed centre line mount maby this one is making this. I remember crearly that A8 could make loops easy yesterday i speed up to 500kph at this speed you should be abble to fly streight up for a couple secconds than you should be abble to finish loop right now i cant do loop at all :P

i will test it w/o this centre line mount maby i was lower on fuel i will test it today

• ED Team

Honestly, as far as dogfighting, I am not sure the best tactic with the 190A is doing loops. It also wasn't really designed for airshows in mind, perhaps you should look at the Christen Eagle for that. Energy management is important in any of these prop jobs, Boom and Zoom would not include loops, and not really involve getting yourself in a turn fight either. You need to make sure to adapt your tactics to the aircraft, and not hope for the fighter to adapt to your piloting methods, I believe the Germans are done changing the 190A, so we probably won't see any improvements there ;)

I should add I was able to loop the 190A just fine. But I am unsure how many loops are expected by everyone.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

i think i know what can be a problem last time i flown fw190 a8 i removed centre line mount maby this one is making this. I remember crearly that A8 could make loops easy yesterday i speed up to 500kph at this speed you should be abble to fly streight up for a couple secconds than you should be abble to finish loop right now i cant do loop at all :P

i will test it w/o this centre line mount maby i was lower on fuel i will test it today

Even with the centerline mount you can loop. But its a bit hard.

Current Open Beta

1st loop was okayish

2nd loop was meh

3rd loop was okay

Centerline mount installed.

Full fuel, full ammo.

Throttle was set to full power most of the time.

I also installed the version of OB with the Anton release. The performance was similar.

Honestly, as far as dogfighting, I am not sure the best tactic with the 190A is doing loops. It also wasn't really designed for airshows in mind, perhaps you should look at the Christen Eagle for that. Energy management is important in any of these prop jobs, Boom and Zoom would not include loops, and not really involve getting yourself in a turn fight either. You need to make sure to adapt your tactics to the aircraft, and not hope for the fighter to adapt to your piloting methods, I believe the Germans are done changing the 190A, so we probably won't see any improvements there ;)

I should add I was able to loop the 190A just fine. But I am unsure how many loops are expected by everyone.

WOOOT?? Looping is not a good idea in a Dogfight.... that explains some things...

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

You can't be serious. An aircraft that you cannot even loop confidently? It is a basic manoeovre in dogfighting. The A8 won't do it. Many have said so. But who am I to question the Guru. Adapt your tactics to the aircraft? So lets see how bad it is then don't loop or turn too hard. I know what Galland would have told you : "Lets give that aircraft to the British!"

Adapt your tactics to the aircraft? So lets see how bad it is then don't loop or turn too hard.
:huh: Well, actually you're supposed to do exactly that even if the module was perfectly fine and finished. If you can't reach 50000ft in the thing, to say something, you just don't go there. Not that hard to understand.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

You can't be serious. An aircraft that you cannot even loop confidently? It is a basic manoeovre in dogfighting. The A8 won't do it. Many have said so. But who am I to question the Guru. Adapt your tactics to the aircraft? So lets see how bad it is then don't loop or turn too hard. I know what Galland would have told you : "Lets give that aircraft to the British!"

top part of loop is well known of the best turn radius for every plane very often used in dogfights, soon we get fligh restrictions like in b-17 no bank more then 15 degrees

I don't know if NineLine can be serious or not, but unless you have enough energy advantage, looping isn't something I would advise in a tight dogfight, that makes you a sitting duck, especially vs a Spitfire, a bird notorious for her very good instantaneous climb rate. She would keep up behind you and hit while you're at low speed at the apex of your maneuver.

That doesn't mean the current DCS A8 looping performance is OK or not, mind you. I'm just commenting on the necessity of looping in the A8.

And yes, proper B&Z usually means you don't loop or turn hard (at least not for prolonged turns). You totally have to adapt your tactics to the aircraft you're piloting. Current A8 has few advantages, hard turning and hard climbing are not part of them => don't use that.

I don't know what should be the actual perfs of A8, I know that I struggle currently with it, hopefully (since this post is tagged [WIP], ED is looking into it, which is good) it will get better. In the meantime, I try to use the 2 good points I have found with her : rollrate for defense, to give the space to extend, and firepower, that I use after extending to roll back into the ennemy and try to shred him in a frontal pass....Not too sure it's good, or whatever, but that sound far better to me than trying a looping, which I would avoid in nearly every situation, tbh, even with an A8 performing better...

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16