testing 1,2,3 testing..New user

Trespasser

Hiya all.

Hope everyone is staying safe and unfortunately lonesome. Thanks Konstantin K for getting me set up on the forums so I can at least post (even that was an issue lol)

Downloaded DCS last week and bought the F-16, DC3, and the P Gulf map. I'm new to DCS, but I still have have my old Falcon 4 manual here so yes..I've been out of the loop for a long time (10 yrs+), but back in game and a huge viper fan. I went hiatus from PC gaming fer a long time. Just got tired of having to update my hardware every 18 months. Just spent 4k on a new sys (last sys had bios rev date of 2007 lol) so it's been a while.

quick question; is Natural Point out of business or is it that TrackIR is just shut down due to the global C19 crisis? I assume this is the case.

My main issue is sitch awareness. I would rather not assign views to to my hat and not ready for VR so I thought TrackIR is the way to go. I just cant find it for sale anywhere (i'm in Canada). I assume its because it's closed down (due to virus) which I totally understand, just curious if it (NaturalPoint) is still a thing(is it still an operating company?) (I don't know as I've been away... for 10 yrs lol}.

Cheers

Trespasser

Edited by Trespasser
clarity

You got a webcam lying around anywhere (or buy one online)?

You can use that and Opentrack to build youself a substitue TrackIR for the time being. You can also have a look at EDTracker.

There might be other options too, use Youtube to find some stuff...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Welcome, Trespasser!

I'm really new to the game as well and looked into getting TrackIR, but it's more than I'd like to spend after buying a HOTAS & several DCS modules.

There are cheaper alternatives (DELANCLiP, TrackHat, etc.), and you can easily build your own, which is the path I took (a quick search for DIY head tracking will bring up lots of info).

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Lots of great info here and people are friendly. Can't ask for much more.

I use custom built set bought with PS-eye camera modded with iR filter for 3 years now. It was like 25USD back then. Opentrack software is free. Working very well.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hi all

Thanks Dr W! Yes I thought Trackir was a bit overpriced myself so I was also looking at alts. I did use FacetrackNoir briefly when it first came out, but it didn't work well in my setup all those years ago. Trackhat looks promising but due to the virus they are no longer doing orders/shipping out of the UK. I will do some research on DIY

I was just concerned that I couldn't find Trackir anywhere in North America, not on Amazon.com or .ca or on N Points website. Even N Points phone number seems to be "not in service".

Thanks for tip draconus, I'll look into it.

And Lange, it's hilarious that you should mention a "webcam lying around". I literally lent mine (which I hadn't used in years) to the girls next door last week! I think they're doing some baking vids and putting them on youtube so I don't have the heart to ask for it back.

Oh well, I'll sort something out. Stay safe all and stop touching your face lol. Get those hands on yer HOTASeseses.

Edited by Trespasser
clarity

Hi Trespasser,

I do have Trackir and it's been great for many years and still going. I also have a backup DelanClip. This is basically a DIY done for you and works with all the different tracking software that's available. FaceTrackNoIR, OpenTrack, Free-Track and TrackIR

Quite a few options.

The gamer also comes with a ps3 eye camera ir filler removed.

You can buy the camera separate (Build your own LED headset)

Cordless Fusion led headset.

https://delanengineering.com/shop/

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thanks David!

Yes I took the advice here and went with the DelanClip + PS3 Eye package. It's not currently possible to purchase TrackIR as it doesn't appear to be easily available anywhere in N America So the Dclip seemed like the best option at half the price. I Imagine it'll take a cpl of weeks to make + ship + arrive, but that's fine.

I do have some concerns with running the clip as I run DCS at 2550x1440 @ 144hz and I've heard it may have trouble with higher refresh rate machines. We shall see and I'll report back.

I wonder... if it does have issues in that regard (refresh issues), if purchasing/modifying a better camera might help? I'm a newb with this sort of stuff, however I am in Social-Distancing-Limbo at this time and for the foreseeable future so it's a great time to learn new stuff!

Thanks All

I run at that rez 144hz Gsync 1ms also. But lock DCS at 60 to just smooth it all out. Works for me at max settings.

Give it a go and see if you get small micro stutters, it is playable still. Just a bit annoying at times.

Otherwise try the new framerate limiter in the nvidia control panel.

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/01/06/geforce-driver-441-87-introduces-framerate-limiter/

Not sure if a better camera will help, perhaps try the different open software? It's a polling problem I believe. You don't want to be between these 30, 60, 120

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I run at that rez 144hz Gsync 1ms also. But lock DCS at 60 to just smooth it all out. Works for me at max settings.

Give it a go and see if you get small micro stutters, it is playable still. Just a bit annoying at times.

Otherwise try the new framerate limiter in the nvidia control panel.

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/01/06/geforce-driver-441-87-introduces-framerate-limiter/

Not sure if a better camera will help, perhaps try the different open software? It's a polling problem I believe. You don't want to be between these 30, 60, 120

Oh that's good news! Thank you for the heads up. It'll be a while before it arrives, but if locking at 60fps resolves much of the stuttering I've read about with the D clip and higher refresh systems, that's fine. 60fps will be ok as I've had to do that with some older games to prevent strange behavior at times.. I'm looking at you Witcher 3.:smilewink:

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress. I've retired my Tflight 4 HOTAS (2nd one, bought 1 year ago for Elite on the PS4). For the $ (80$ CAD) it really was not a bad stick, but it quickly suffered the same as most Tflights from severe sticktion and axis drift.

I've always had less than premium sticks, but I thought ...now that I'm out of work, what a great time to spend an inordinate amount of money on toys for a game. Idiot. Anyway Thank you TM (throttle), VKB, (GFproMkIII), Purolator & DHL(These guys and gals deserve hazard pay!). I haven't set anything up yet, but you've made this global crapdemic playable.

Ironically still waiting for the Delan Clip, fingers crossed for next week. Even in F4 I was never able to AAR with my my ol' Wingman 3D and I couldn't in the F16 either in DCS due to the crapulence of my previous setup, hopefully now that will change... or I'm sending it all back :)

Stay home, stay safe, Fly well

Trespasser