So what's your critical opinion on the new map

twistking

Also, thinking about it and comparing to the competition, in DCS they abused so much of the overpowered yellow-redish-beige-sandglow filter that all the colors seems to be washed by it. Just give it a quick search on youtube for comparisons between different flight sims over damascus for example.

FS2020 seem to have a very neutral color, while DCS seems to have an extreme sand haze all over.

damascus-city-picture-id145651849?s=612x612

Edited by stormridersp

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

So I'd like to write a couple of good words to the developer of the Sirya map!

I love it! This map is definitely the best map in DCS! It is the new level! pleasure to fly on the deck!

Мой позывной в DCS: _SkyRider_

Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

You guys are sooo picky... its the best map for DCS period. [...]

So I'd like to write a couple of good words to the developer of the Sirya map!

I love it! This map is definitely the best map in DCS! [...]

Well, i deliberately asked to be picky. You can be critical and still appreciate the work that was put into something.

I think it is obvious how much work went into the map and i still don't really jazz with the look of it.

Maybe it is the colour grading as was suggested by stormrider. For me it shows in screenshots like this one.

dcs-world-syria-map-29.jpg

The details is very high compared to other dcs maps, but the lighting and colours seem a bit off to my eye. It's as if the buildings are shaded incorrectly and therefor stand out too much.

Edited by twistking

The details is very high compared to other dcs maps, but the lighting and colours seem a bit off to my eye. It's as if the buildings are shaded incorrectly and therefor stand out too much.
Have you by any chance checked your screen settings? colours? calibration? With regards to colours and how they look so many times it's not just a software thing but the hardware every single one has at home and how it's configured and/or the lack of configuration.

That pic looks wonderfully in my screen :music_whistling:, and I believe I know what you mean, perhaps sometimes it can be seen in YT videos from others (not sure though since real everyone's colour setting is only seen at home), sometimes some screenshots, but in game myself it looks good and nothing like you say so maybe possible something is going on there with regards to colour setting and the screen itself.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

But you know that DCS is a flight sim, right? (yes, I know that there is Combined Arms ... )

DCS is Digital Combat Simulator.

It can be in eyes of someone as "a flight sim", but the COMBAT defines it as much to mean the ground war as well as the air war.

The LOMAC (Lock-On Modern Air Combat) was truly that, with some of elements to just drop bombs and launch missiles/rockets. But DCS World means deeper and more detailed Air-to-Ground combat as well. This is why we have helicopters too.

It is major part what ground forces are, as they are the ones why someone flies.

And while the DCS still lacks in the ground part, they are improving it a lot. The core of the up coming Dynamic Campaign is the ground forces. The reason to carry any A-G ordinance is the ground forces.

The problem just is that at this moment there is no good ways to simulate the ground combat and troops at all. They are basically just a target practice boards down there, and nothing else.

Give them even just 10-20% of "intelligence", and they would really stop fighters and helicopters from flying such a way they are now flown.

And before anything like that can be done, it requires that the map gets the structure and functions to support all that. No one cares in real world about forests or deserts. They are strategically and tactically wastelands. I don't really know anyone who would locate a company middle of a desert or wildlands just to be there.

As all will have purpose, and when there is no purpose, there is no war. And if there is no war, then there is no combat.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

dcs-world-syria-map-29.jpg

It looks like the buildings don't have a proper color shading for the otherway great lighting system. What really makes them exactly pop-up like that. There is like lack of shadows, too bright and such, while the terrain gets darker and desaturated.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It looks like the buildings don't have a proper color shading for the otherway great lighting system. What really makes them exactly pop-up like that. There is like lack of shadows, too bright and such, while the terrain gets darker and desaturated.

Exactly this. Aside form the performance and render distances of trees and buildings my only complaint on the map for now.

I like it, it is a very nice looking map and it runs well on my PC, so no complaints there. That said I wish that it included more spots in central and northern Syria. Manbij, Afrin, Deir Ezzor being prime examples. Also the south is missing some places, the main one being Daraa, but areas around the Syrian part of the Golan are missing some small places that were held by ISIS back before the SAA offensive there. I understand that not everything can be included, it will run like crap if they tried, but the big ones like Manbij, Afrin, Deir Ezzor and Daraa have reasonable significance.

Daraa was where the civil war started.

Kurdish success at Manbij freaked the Turks out enough that they got involved directly to prevent them from controlling Syria's northern border and linking up with the Afrin canton, which was the objective of the al Bab offensive. It is still a site of a potential future Turkish offensive.

Afrin was the objective of the Turkish and T-FSA offensive to reduce the Afrin canton.

Deir Ezzor was where the Syrians arguably helped to break ISIS' offensive capabilities via a very effective defense of the surrounded city and where one of Syria's more well known generals was killed shortly after the siege of the city was lifted.

There is also T4 airbase which has been very important due to Israeli airstrikes and its use against ISIS.

TL : DR - Beautiful map, so beautiful that I wish that there was yet more to gaze upon.

Edited by AbuMuqawama

I like it, it is a very nice looking map and it runs well on my PC, so no complaints there. That said I wish that it included more spots in central and northern Syria. Manbij, Afrin, Deir Ezzor being prime examples. Also the south is missing some places, the main one being Daraa, but areas around the Syrian part of the Golan are missing some small places that were held by ISIS back before the SAA offensive there. I understand that not everything can be included, it will run like crap if they tried, but the big ones like Manbij, Afrin, Deir Ezzor and Daraa have reasonable significance.

Daraa was where the civil war started.

Kurdish success at Manbij freaked the Turks out enough that they got involved directly to prevent them from controlling Syria's northern border and linking up with the Afrin canton, which was the objective of the al Bab offensive. It is still a site of a potential future Turkish offensive.

Afrin was the objective of the Turkish and T-FSA offensive to reduce the Afrin canton.

Deir Ezzor was where the Syrians arguably helped to break ISIS' offensive capabilities via a very effective defense of the surrounded city and where one of Syria's more well known generals was killed shortly after the siege of the city was lifted.

There is also T4 airbase which has been very important due to Israeli airstrikes and its use against ISIS.

TL : DR - Beautiful map, so beautiful that I wish that there was yet more to gaze upon.

There will be, Afrin T4 shayrat others more will come, hopefully Daraa

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

The problem just is that at this moment there is no good ways to simulate the ground combat and troops at all. They are basically just a target practice boards down there, and nothing else.

This will never happen. It's a game in itself. Steel Beasts Pro, as the reference here, does it reliably and convincingly, but it's under constant development for more than a decade now. Even then, infantry and helicopters are still just mere supporting actors in the show. The true meaning of all this is to think how far behind DCS CA is from Steel Beasts.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Personally I love it. I know its work in progress, but its already a sandbox!

What we do need generally is more AI and static choices! Come on Syria with ISIL and the various rebel groups. ED has come very far and nothing touches the level of detail! BUT they need to assign a team to build the guts of the content. Get troops types for the factions sorted. Statics like realistic defensive positions, not ARMED HOUSE LOL!

I have learned a fair bit about mission design and always find I have to improvise a lot.

We also need a better mission briefing system where we can add A4 PDFs full screen to read and print before we jump in the cockpit!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The biggest issue for me is the lack of radio aids. I think there's only one TACAN station, no RSBN stations at all and only a handful of NDBs. No big deal for the cool kids in the Hornets and Vipers, but the rest of us have to rely mainly on our dead reckoning skills when navigating the new map.

The biggest issue for me is the lack of radio aids. I think there's only one TACAN station, no RSBN stations at all and only a handful of NDBs. No big deal for the cool kids in the Hornets and Vipers, but the rest of us have to rely mainly on our dead reckoning skills when navigating the new map.

You know that with the recently added Mobile TACAN Station at least those you can add as many as you like?

My only gripe with the Map so far is the low rendering distance when looking through the Targeting Pod. I do remember times when it was similar in the rest of the (DCS) World, so I have hopes that this will get fixed eventually.

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

I know. I think I can also get around the lack of NDBs if I wanted by placing a unit on the map and having it transmit a prerecorded morse code on an appropriate frequency. But I can't get RSBN/PRMG on the map without editing files.

• 3 weeks later...

Impressed with the detail, but not impressed with the performance at the moment. It uses CRAZY amounts of RAM compared to other maps.

However, I am sure it will be optimized in the near future.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

I haven't seen anyone mention it, maybe I just missed it, but... the map is unplayable for me from an immersion perspective. Even with extreme draw distances, at 10+ nm the buildings just disappear in the TGP. Vehicles look like they are completely out in the open and easily spotted. Then as you approach, the buildings start growing out of the ground (which is hilarious), next thing I know that same vehicle is knee deep in buildings and completely obscured. It's not just an immersion thing, it's completely cheating. Anyone with lower settings or just flying 15nm out, the battlefield looks like a bunch of units easily spotted in an open field.

I tried driving a tank in CA, and OMG, the bushes and whatnot popping up a couple feet in front of the tank, it's ridiculous lol.

Awesome map, best looking, most detailed and complete, but with the game engine limitations, it's not suitable for a battlefield given the limitations above.

Edit: =52d= Skip just mentioned it above

Edited by Vanguard

Thinking on getting the Syria map. Is it frame friendly or has it potential to become frame friendly. I guess its not really finished and optimized fully yet. Should be some indicators that it can be framefriendly. Its for VR im asking.

Thinking on getting the Syria map. Is it frame friendly or has it potential to become frame friendly ... Its for VR im asking.

It really depends on the mission and location.

The map is very detailed and "heavy" on resources i.e. RAM, even in flat screen I see a little micro-stutter flying low over towns, away from built up areas or at altitude it seems ok (RTX-2070S, Rift-S, simple/light SP testing).

YMMV.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 1 month later...

I have Ryzen 3800x, 1080Ti, 32Gb, SSD and reverb and VR works well at least with helicopters.

I would recommend Larkin Aviation in Syria campaign. It was very good and city was beautiful, I flew with Huey

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312166/

• Like 1

Specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 3080, Quest 2, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals

On 12/9/2020 at 11:33 AM, Lucidus said:

I have Ryzen 3800x, 1080Ti, 32Gb, SSD and reverb and VR works well at least with helicopters.

I would recommend Larkin Aviation in Syria campaign. It was very good and city was beautiful, I flew with Huey

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312166/

I am currently doing the same campaign...

Mission 7 is quiet challenging with the Mi-8 but I succeeded today (35min flight)