Which Tornado do you want?

CyMPAK

I would say not less than 5 years

I'm not joking, i'm serious

Probably true. :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

What really stands out for me personally is ALARM, which to my knowledge was scrapped with the introduction of the GR.4.

This ARM is pretty versatile (more than other ARMs) and could be loaded to complement other loads. (On the stubs for example)

For me it is kind of a must-have. A 2-ship flight could cover itself with 4-8 ALARMS in Loiter-Mode and still perform a good strike.

British philosophy was not to have a dedicated SEAD asset, but that the flights could cover themselves and all birds should have the capability.

Hmm, the ALARM wasn't very well recieved by this article: https://hushkit.net/2020/08/04/the-tornado-is-gone-was-it-the-right-aircraft-for-the-raf/

Suppression/Destruction of Enemy Defences

mu0jjet4dvndrvxcm4pejavb5aa-u_5he3ixmdkfhsa.jpg

The Tornado was used in the defence suppression role in the 1999 Kosovo campaign. As Wing Commander Gordon Niven (retd) noted in ‘Tornado Boys’, the ALARM missile and Tornado combination was not very effective for the role, “Neither the missiles nor the Tornado was configured in any way remotely close to the capability of the USAF F-16 SEAD units.” The ALARM was used by RAF Tornados from 1990 until 2013, a short service life for a guided anti-radar weapon; the US equivalent, the AGM-88 HARM series, has been in service since 1985 with no planned retirement date. Today an RAF ALARM from the Kosovo campaign is displayed in the Belgrade air museum, it failed to self destruct or destroy a target and instead gently delivered itself by parachute into curious (and Russian-friendly) Yugoslav hands.

But it's a pretty one-sided article anyways...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I vaguely remember reading that the reason the ALARM was phased out is simply that they shot most (or all) of them. I don't have a source though.

edit: and yeah that article doesn't seem particularly objective. I agree with some bits (e.g. the political influence, the fact that the ADV made no sense when you could just upgrade Phantoms like Germany did), but other parts are purely anecdotal and don't really present anything useful.

Edited by TLTeo

edit: and yeah that article doesn't seem particularly objective. I agree with some bits (e.g. the political influence, the fact that the ADV made no sense when you could just upgrade Phantoms like Germany did), but other parts are purely anecdotal and don't really present anything useful.

Yeah, it was linked in another Tornado thread and I came to the same conclusion as you: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4462117&postcount=49

Tornado3 small.jpg

I never understood why Germany didn't adopt the Brimstone. Well, maybe some day...

I've just never seen a Tornado loaded like that

They can carry quiet a bit if needed:

That's 2x A-A missiles, 3x A-G missiles, 2x LGBs and 5x pods (2x fuel, 2x CM, 1x TGP) on a single aircraft.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, I was wrong about the ALARM phase out then.

I see the critic of the pilot there.

HARMs self destruct simply by the velocity they have, If they hit nothing. Very useful.

In my opinion it's true that the ALARM is not such a good SEAD weapon for dedicated SEAD missions.

It is however a good SEAD self protection as a ride-along weapon for other missons.

An example would be a flight of GR.1As doing reconnaissance, covering their photo-run, etc.

We are starting to get good dedicated SEAD platforms in DCS, the F-18 is okay, JF-17 is good and the F-16C B50 is a true SEAD bird.

But the ALARM can be seen as a way better SideARM.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

From the above posted report, the ASW part is strange.

Can't imagine that the Tornado GMR had just 40 nm of usable range for ships.

I need to find some german navy pilots.

From my knowledge, the GMR should be a little bit more capable than the Viggen AJ radar, but very comparable.

A good maritime radar can pick up the nice big steel and aluminium radar reflector that is a ship at long range. The Buccaneer’s Blue Parrot radar had a maximum range of 240 nautical miles, although 180 was more normally used. The Tornado…had a maximum range of forty nautical miles. So when operating without a Nimrod the Tornado was limited to firing Sea Eagle well inside the missile’s normal launch range” – Wing Commander Gordon Robertson (retd) in ‘Tornado Boys‘.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

Yeah, every time one of these articles claims an old piece of technology is vastly superior to what replaced it, it gets dodgy. Between that and bringing up the F117 claim, the article comes off as not being believable (despite making some reasonable claim - the Tornado did end up being more specialized than originally intended, and the ADV should never have existed tbh).

From the above posted report, the ASW part is strange.

Can't imagine that the Tornado GMR had just 40 nm of usable range for ships.

I need to find some german navy pilots.

From my knowledge, the GMR should be a little bit more capable than the Viggen AJ radar, but very comparable.

I find that pretty odd as well. Please let us know if you can get some information on this! :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

please stop with this fake poll....heatblur hasn't done any announcement about The tornado...and it's not planned for the future.

Yeah, I also don't quite understand why this thread is in the Heatblur subforum. I mean it's a really great thread, but it's not in the right place here.

I still hope Heatblur will do the Tornado some day though :pilotfly:

+1 on the IDS Version...

By the way, what will we name the Weapon System Officer AI? Herman?

Either Hans, George or Luigi :D

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Admins are always welcome to move threads, are they not? The discussion is pleasant, informative and well-intentioned. Where's the harm, and how is it causing distress?

Of course it won't sway Heatblur (who may or may not be working on a Tonka - it fits their comments to date, but is not the only aircraft to do so), but that's not the point of the thread. This might be an odd place for the thread to live, but here it is... Who knows, maybe it will be of some use one day :thumbup:

warlord-page-5-1.jpeg

Nah, I've only just met 'er...:pilotfly:

Admins are always welcome to move threads' date=' are they not? The discussion is pleasant, informative and well-intentioned. Where's the harm, and how is it causing distress?[/quote']

People see this thread and think Heatblur is working on a Tornado. Then they start pressuring Heatblur why their promised Tornado is taking so long. That's unfortunately how some people act here on these forums...

Tornado3 small.jpg

So the question remains ... when will HB deliver it? :D

Sorry, just fooling around.

To be honest, for me personally only HB would be able to put that required amount of adiction and love into the design of a DCS Tornado module.

This team is able to give enough love regarding details, has good programmers, and graphical experts. I don't see this in other companies, not even ED (especially when talking about love & soul).

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 3 weeks later...
People see this thread and think Heatblur is working on a Tornado. Then they start pressuring Heatblur why their promised Tornado is taking so long. That's unfortunately how some people act here on these forums...

I agree. I am one those that keeps up with the latest news and announcements so I was able to recognize this thread more of a plea in disguise to Heatblur. But for someone new or that does not keep up they might get their hopes up in vain.

I actually would prefer a Buccaneer over a Tornado as it was the last all British build jet along with its low altitude flying capabilities. But for once I would like to see the Tornado come to fruition just so these community of Tornado lovers can rest in peace. If anything they should be pleading with the manufacture and the government ententes to finally declassify it enough do it would actually feasible to do.

I'd like the F-111. That's the version of the Tornado I would like Heatblur to make ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.