Is is better/fun

SPS48A

All the new videos are abuzz with the F16. Rightfully so, I guess. I haven't purchased it yet but do have the P51, F5, and F18 which I enjoy and am nowhere near mastering. Just curious if you folks see the F16 as a better/more fun airplane than the F18. I will eventually get it, I am sure, but just wondering about your first impressions. Do you think you would fly the F16 or F18 if they were both at the same level of development?

For sure the Viper. Responsive, Fast, Zippy, and unrestricted climbs to 20k feet. 9g turns. Its like the Ninja bike of the Jet world. I love it, and literally Stopped flying all my other modules since its been out. Even though its early access, I can't put it down.

.. Just curious if you folks see the F16 as a better/more fun airplane than the F18...

I purchased the F-16 mostly because it is in service on my country's Air Force, but I do find the Hornet to be more fun, because of its ability to operate from Carriers.

As the new Supercarrier module seems to be nearing release, If I were you, I would save the Viper's money and instead spend it to get the new carrier instead.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Once complete I would prefer Viper to Hornet, the looks, cockpit, avionics and Hotas are all much better (personal preference). Hornet is very rugged and amazingly responsive at low speeds but the Viper is just legendary at bfm even against modern designed fighters like Euro fighter or Rafale or Su-30.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I have both the Viper and the Hornet. I really enjoy flying the Hornet as the flight model seems a little more dynamic in the AOA/snappiness department. The Viper, though quicker and more powerful, feels a bit more static and "on the rails" than does the Hornet. Carrier ops are pretty special as well.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Viper. Whenever I get bummed about the Viper's current state I fly the Hornet. This lasts one sorty and then I'm back in the Viper.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I have always been a bigger fan of the F-16 than the F/A-18 (result of being an Air Force brat, I guess), so I have definitely been looking forward to it with greater anticipation. The Viper is a smaller, zippier plane. The Hornet has more complexity overall, and the DCS version can handle more weapon variety. It's a bigger plane, with different advantages.

Both are (and will be) hella fun. But I think my favorite will be the Viper. It's a dogfighter at its heart, and makes the Hornet feel like it's floating through molasses by comparison. While I prefer the mud-moving role where that agility isn't as important overall, it still just amazingly fun.

On a side note, I am in the USAF Reserves and I work with a guy who used to fly F-16s and F-35s. I asked him which one he liked best and he said for the pure joy of flying the F-16 is more fun. No canopy bow and it handles like a knife in the air in all regimes of flight. No buffeting at slower speeds.

Rig: i7-7700K, ASUS Strix Z270E mb, EVGA 1080GTX, 16GB DDR4 3000, Samsung 960 EVO M2.1 TB SSD, Corsair Hydro Cooler H115i, Win 10 64

Still have no interest in the Hornet. Bought Viper day on pre-release.

No regrets.

The only other modules which get a look-in since the Viper launch are the Yak and the Mirage.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

I purchased the [module] mostly because it is in service on my country's Air Force

I wish I will once be able to say that, waiting for the only combat-ready jet my country has - the Tornado.

Actually I would not prefer either the Hornet or the Viper, they're both great and I fly both of them.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The F-16 feels so muted. Every input is filtered through a computer. If you enjoy the sensation of flight, then the F-16 is not for you. It's about as "on the rails" as it gets. I don't know if you play civilian flight sims, but it's like flying an Airbus.

I'm by no means saying it's not fun or a bad module; I just want to highlight just how different it feels compared to something like the P51 or A10.

The F-16 feels so muted. Every input is filtered through a computer. If you enjoy the sensation of flight, then the F-16 is not for you. It's about as "on the rails" as it gets. I don't know if you play civilian flight sims, but it's like flying an Airbus.

I'm by no means saying it's not fun or a bad module; I just want to highlight just how different it feels compared to something like the P51 or A10.

Why did you buy the Viper? You must have known a modern FBW jet wouldn't feel like a warbird.

Buzz

Why did you buy the Viper? You must have known a modern FBW jet wouldn't feel like a warbird.

I flew the F18 during the free weekend last year and loved it. I honestly wasn't expecting the F16 to be as far off (from the f18 in terms of feel) as it is.

I'm not HATING the F-16; it's just different. Feels like a brick at low speeds, lol.

I certainly don't regret buying it, though.

Right now for me the hornet is more fun. Its just too good being able to perform a wipeout of enemy air defense with JDAMs while quickly switching to air to air to kill some targets.

Once the viper gets all the bells and whistles I will be flying it a lot. But just to learn it properly. Indeed it is a fun jet to learn.

I wish I will once be able to say that, waiting for the only combat-ready jet my country has - the Tornado.

? what country is that .. I tought that all Tornado users are now operating the Typhoon.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

? what country is that .. I tought that all Tornado users are now operating the Typhoon.

Well, those articles are a little bit dated by now, but not that much since this was 2018:

https://www.dw.com/en/only-4-of-germanys-128-eurofighter-jets-combat-ready-report/a-43611873

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/bundeswehr-luftwaffe-hat-nur-vier-kampfbereite-eurofighter-a-1205641.html

On the contrary, I've been in the vicinity of Schleswig-Jagel, base of TaktLwG 51 "Immelmann", a few weeks ago and saw more than 4 Tornados flying every single day. They're some great assets in the sky...

Well, the Typhoon is also great, but Germany tends to do something we call "kaputtsparen", literally saving money until it breaks rdlaugh.png

And after all, the chances to get a DCS: Tornado are very much higher compared to getting DCS: Eurofighter Typhoon... dealwithit.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Here and now i recommend to get the F/A18

Reason, it is further in development and have more features and weapons = fun

The f16 is in early development and have allot of bugs and missing features and missing weapons. It will take +1 +2 years before its finished.

In the long term i do recommend the f16 since its faster, and a cool and very populare plane that many nations own and use.

It can do most things, except land on the carrier but instead its fast, and agile.

OR get the F14 that is a really cool "old school" plane.. its powerfull, have long range A/A and you can also laser bomb with it or drop allot of ordinary freefall bombs. AND it can land on the carrier.

And its even good in dogfight despite its a big plane.

Viper. If you want carrier ops get the Tomcat. If you feel like the Viper is too "on rails" again, Tomcat. I love flying them both, but while the Viper is more mission oriented flying, I'm perfectly happy just cruising around in the Tomcat and doing carrier traps. It's like driving a dual clutch paddle shift vs a manual. Where the Hornet is just a shitty automatic lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hornet. Or Tomcat....Or Harrier...Or M2K. The Viper is in a pretty bare bone state by any non-biased eye, there a bunch of "confirmation bias" folks telling you to buy the Viper while its frankly not worth getting at full price until its had some serious work done to it, maybe after the 20 November updates, maybe.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/64/58/ea6458e2d324aa68f5ac76922536c033.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

Which is fun/better the OP asks...

Better: Hornet, there is simply no competition until you can get two slammers in the air at once, this Wednesday coming. I've not done much lengthy study of the ACM performance against humans, but the differences are not massive enough to justify a single part of all possible combat in this simulator outweighing the overall picture.

Fun: Subjective. Since I don't get a kick in my own seat at home, it's just numbers flying past. I dont like FBW handling anyway and I'd choose a warbird or the Tomcat for "fun". I would probably be more inclined to have fun in the Viper over the Hornet out of combat since it feels a bit less computerised than the Hornet, but they are both quite unappealing in this regard. The subjectivity that propels the delight of the supporters of this airframe however, knows no bounds, they would love it and prefer it regardless. I feel quite objectively indifferent to both, myself, having had neither in my airforce. Ergonomically, i might prefer the Viper sim once it's mature.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I live in Baden Württemberg, not to far away from Rheinland Pfalz and recently there are a lot of F16 doing their training in my area. Guess they are from Spangdahlem.

Edited by BIGNEWY
fixed quote

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas