IAM LAUNCH ABORT WARNING---WHY?

sobe

I have set up my JDAMs to hit multiple mark points, but when I get to the first one, a IAM LAUNCH ABORT warning appears in my MFDs. Why? I have not changed the default setting in the DMS for the GBU 38. I could not find anything in the manual on this.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I have set up my JDAMs to hit multiple mark points, but when I get to the first one, a IAM LAUNCH ABORT warning appears in my MFDs. Why? I have not changed the default setting in the DMS for the GBU 38. I could not find anything in the manual on this.
It could be several reasons but most notably is that you were not in launch parameters on weapon profile.

Try uploading us the .trk file

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Probably quick pickle. It takes quite a while to break the chemical battery, power up the weapon, test everything, transfer the data, and release. As long as you are still in LAR you can attempt another launch within several seconds but any longer and the battery isn't enough.

I've seen GBUs "go to sleep" (aka lose their alignment) if you fly straight and level for extended periods. The GBU-31s seem particularly prone to doing this.

(Stations on the DSMS will turn white)

Solution: Fly a little slalom as you approach the target. This seems to wake them up.

Failure to wake them up will usually generate an abort warning.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Great design. Expensive smart weapon, but no USB connector cable to power the weapon long enough to overcome a launch abort. ;-)

I've always wondered why they don't provide "direct power" or some sort of "backup power" through the pylon's wiring so you don't "waste" a drop :book:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

Hey Sobe,

Sorry for the off topic question. Just wanted to know how you go about planning your IAM OPs.

Ive tried planning waypoints over stationary targets, and using the waypoint as the SPI. But its always at altitude.

TADS designation (like during JTAC requests) are so sloppy. And the TAD SPI is always moving in relation to the aircraft, not fixed on the map anyway.

Id really like to know how to input target coordinates. Especially from the CDU or TADs, or in the Mission Editor (if thats necessary)

If you set TAD expand-2 you can hook the datalink tasking triangle quite easily unless it's very crowded around it.

If you have a waypoint at altitude and you want it on the surface just type in the latitude or longitude or MGRS line again exactly as written and it'll coordinate range to surface ("CR" is shown). Of course if you preplanned you could just memorize the elevation figure to change as well leaving the L/L alone.

Pretty sure official technique is to drop JDAM on steerpoints because TGP, etc. are too unreliable. You could bump or lose that SPI source at just the wrong time and blow up an orphanage.

If you set TAD expand-2 you can hook the datalink tasking triangle quite easily unless it's very crowded around it.

If you have a waypoint at altitude and you want it on the surface just type in the latitude or longitude or MGRS line again exactly as written and it'll coordinate range to surface ("CR" is shown). Of course if you preplanned you could just memorize the elevation figure to change as well leaving the L/L alone.

Pretty sure official technique is to drop JDAM on steerpoints because TGP, etc. are too unreliable. You could bump or lose that SPI source at just the wrong time and blow up an orphanage.

I think for this mark points are used.

IIRC newer A10C suites have i think 10 "reserved" markpoints (called something like tgpoints or the likes) that are "generated" just moments before running hot for a PGM drop.

I'm going off of memory about something i've read somewhere, so i might be completely wrong about it :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

OK.. Now, when i slew the TAD cross over to the JTAC, and the Coordinates come up.

I TMS up Short and then TMS up Long. It puts the Cake over red flashing triangle.

But, when i slave the TGP over, or the MAV, its never on the target. So, i dont think its using the JTAC coodinates. I think its just where the TAD cross is :/

OK.. ive been doing it a completely Back Assward way now. When i get my first 9-Line

they read out the Golf Golf code.. and i immediately type that GG****** code into the CDU.

I tap a few letters, then hit "UNK" to name the mark, then hit "*?" that shoots a waypoint mark over to the TAD.

BUT.. the mark isnt in the HUD (DMS up and down). Unless i switch the damn CDU to Mark or MIssion or something. Another couple steps.. to ferret out during combat..

fixed my damn elevation issue though.. at the cost of another 2 steps.

This is driving me bonkers, i mean.. the DATA is visible on the TADs.. i mean its flashing on the MAP. The computer has the Data in there.

TAD may only give SPI to TAD objects. It cannot give SPI to cursor position. If you want to JDAM or Maverick a TAD object your "hook and SPI" technique should be all you need.

The coordinates may be faulty. There has been a bug regarding elevation where the elevation is relayed in metric but treated as feet. E.g. "Elevation 318', sent as "100" for 100 meters, received as 100 for 100'. I don't know if this issue persists but it's worth trying against some tank on a beach (0 MSL) to remove that as a source of error.

The "*?" doesn't moving anything to TAD but usually copies the selected waypoint to the next available number. I have no idea what happens if you have up waypoint N, enter new coords into scratch pad, then *N+1?. That's not something I've tried before.

I call them "waypoint pools" mission pool, mark pool, flight plan pool. On the fly points aren't in the flight plan of course. The only way around it is to have a "CAS" second flight plan (or add to first) or get out of flightplan mode.

Frederf, You know what.. i was totally ignoring the first item in the 9LINE. The type of JTAC being performed. the 3 classes. Id imagine for realities sake, they use bad coordinates. Especially in Danger Close situations where the controller needs you to use smoke.

The scratch pad way is turning out to be pretty good. Since the first 9LINE read back has the GGxxxxxx coordinates right away. That way i have a little extra time to get them into the CDU during all the talk back. Id still like to know what Kid18 was talking about, automatic IP points or something.

There is a way to fix the map on a point instead of the plane, that may help. Or if there is a way to smooth out the TAD cursor. Kinda like you can smooth out the MAV slew rate.

I appreciate the pointers, thanks man.

What I do is before getting the tasking have a waypoint ready to go as my CAS target. When I hear the coordinates they have a waypoint ready to enter them into. You get a second chance when your character reads them back.

Taps of china hat forward cycle the TAD through the expanded modes. EXP1 and EXP2 are north-up and centered on the cursor. There is a global modifier number for slew sensitivity on the TEST page of the MFDs.

Thanks man, i really needed that SLEW info.

Ive blended our methods and come up with a really fast and successful method. (though not HOTAS) Though i have one issue:

with the CDU knobs set in Flight Plan and Other. These are auto settings for Ramp/Airborne/Runway starts.

Function 3 (WP) - then 'WAYPOINT' - (you do have to switch LL for UTM on the bottom right)

The CDU keys are bound to the keyboard with LEFT CTRL/WIN

Type in 8 digits - then Click on "northing eastings to scratch pad"

Click on Name

then Click on "#?"

It goes right to the HUD, as a waypoint (i.e. DMS up and down) on the ground.

I dont have to use TGP, TADS, i dont even have to use TMS up/up long. I just switch to the new waypoint and its ready to go in CCRP

BUT.. it HAS to be named. for whatever reason.. if its NOT named it WONT go into the waypoints.

Really quick man.. 8 digits. click click click. that fast. from first 9line to CCRP line in 5 seconds.

I tried using function 3 (wp) - click on 'STEERPOINT"

and it worked perfectly, but it the waypoint is Elevated.. not on the deck. (i bet it could be changed in pg2, but theres no reason)

Thanks for all the help man!

Edited by Bartacomus
error

Thanks man, i really needed that SLEW info.

Ive blended our methods and come up with a really fast and successful method. (though not HOTAS) Though i have one issue:

with the CDU knobs set in Flight Plan and Other. These are auto settings for Ramp/Airborne/Runway starts.

Function 3 (WP) - then 'WAYPOINT' - (you do have to switch LL for UTM on the bottom right)

The CDU keys are bound to the keyboard with LEFT CTRL/WIN

Type in 8 digits - then Click on "northing eastings to scratch pad"

Click on Name

then Click on "#?"

It goes right to the HUD, as a waypoint (i.e. DMS up and down) on the ground.

I dont have to use TGP, TADS, i dont even have to use TMS up/up long. I just switch to the new waypoint and its ready to go in CCRP

BUT.. it HAS to be named. for whatever reason.. if its NOT named it WONT go into the waypoints.

Really quick man.. 8 digits. click click click. that fast. from first 9line to CCRP line in 5 seconds.

I tried using function 3 (wp) - click on 'STEERPOINT"

and it worked perfectly, but it the waypoint is Elevated.. not on the deck. (i bet it could be changed in pg2, but theres no reason)

Thanks for all the help man!

If you want to make using the number keys (and even letters) even easier with the keyboard - try setting the modifier as CAPS LOCK (as it is a toggle key). Then when it’s enabled, all letters and numbers are entered into CDU /scratchpad without having to hold any modifier... (after you bind them in the options menu of course). Just a thought. It’s what I’ve had for the A10C for a long time, and use the numbers side for the Hornet (obviously lacking the letters). Just a thought, some others have found it useful when mentioning it..

Cheers,

Do

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Id still like to know what Kid18 was talking about, automatic IP points or something

That was a side note for newer suites of the hog not implemented in our sim.

It has the first few markpoints (for us being A/B/C/D/etc) named specifically T1/T2/T3 and so on and they are reserved for target markpoints. I might be wrong though as this is coming from stuff read on the web a while back, someone else also mentioned it on these forum not too long ago in another thread. Nothing automatic though, at least not that i'm aware of.

Back on the issue at hand, if the JTAC send you the 9L over SADL, you can just slew your TAD over to the red triangle (being the target the JTAC sent you over SADL) and set the TAD as SPI and just TMS right short to make your own markpoint without the need of manual inputs in the CDU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

To piggyback on that, after hooking the SADL markpoint on the TAD, you can alternatively press china hat fwd long to slave all to the object.

Just a tiny remark there, hooking isn't quite enough.

China Hat Forward Long slaves all sensors to SPI, so there's a mandatory step in between, which is to set the TAD as SPI Generator (or "Make it SPI" or "Make it SPI source" or something along those lines).

So the workflow would be:

Make TAD SOI (Coolie Hat Left/Right Long)

Hook SADL object (slew, and then TMS Forward Short)

Set TAD as SPI Generator (TMS Forward Long)

Slave all to SPI (China Hat Forward Long)

Just a tiny remark there, hooking isn't quite enough.

China Hat Forward Long slaves all sensors to SPI, so there's a mandatory step in between, which is to set the TAD as SPI Generator (or "Make it SPI" or "Make it SPI source" or something along those lines).

So the workflow would be:

Make TAD SOI (Coolie Hat Left/Right Long)

Hook SADL object (slew, and then TMS Forward Short)

Set TAD as SPI Generator (TMS Forward Long)

Slave all to SPI (China Hat Forward Long)

This.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Those are all excellent tips and pointers.

im certainly going to try out the CAPS CDU binding.

i had to bind the cockpit view (keypad 0) to my joystick. Then when i use the joysticks thumb controller to look around, it snaps to the MFCD, UFC, CDU instead.

its the only way ive found to focus on the TAD without zooming in and all that jazz.

NOW! if i could just export the MFCDs to my tablet. Id be set.

however as simple as that sounds.. i cant find much about it.

i had to bind the cockpit view (keypad 0) to my joystick. Then when i use the joysticks thumb controller to look around, it snaps to the MFCD, UFC, CDU instead.

its the only way ive found to focus on the TAD without zooming in and all that jazz.

Don’t recall if you have to set the CAPS as a switch or not in modifiers - but do a quick test to see if you need to do that for it to lock on or not.

Cheers,

Don

Not sure about a tablet but you certainly can export your whole cockpit to a second monitory with Helios (i coupled my Helios setup with a touch screen display, so no mouse is needed at all ;) )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005