HARPOON! so soon?

Raven68

Good to see the progress that's been made on the Harpoon. I do wonder what contributed to the speedy development? I do recall there was some pics of the functionality a few weeks ago, but to follow the targeting pod so fast? I am quite pleased!! :thumbup:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

ED once said: there are several systems developed at the same time, the workload is very large, because they have not entered the stage of release, so it is inevitable that updates will slow down. Now, I think these efforts have made tremendous progress. Maybe in the next one or two months, we will be constantly updated!!!

Cool Video, i just miss the Air to Ground Radar for to detect a ship in sea mode. :music_whistling:

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A| Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD, 1300W| Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KS @5 GHz | CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Tower Cooler | RAM: 32GB G.Skill F4-4133C17-8GTZR | GPU:NVIDIA GeForce RTX4090 OC 24GB |SSD: Samsung SSD 860 M.2 1TB | Keyboard: Logitech G110 | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Gaming Devices: Hotas WW Orion 2 Stick&Throttle, Thrustmaster MFD, Pimax Crystal, Stream Deck XL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cool Video, i just miss the Air to Ground Radar for to detect a ship in sea mode. :music_whistling:

Well according to the CVW-11 video the AWG-9 is quite capable of detecting surface targets. Apologies for not getting a time stamp to go with it, but I definitely remember him saying something along the lines of "ships stand out like a sore thumb." Idk if that's modeled in the game or if he's just going off real world knowledge, but if it is something we can do in DCS, well, just get some Tomcat buddies in the mission to find those surface contacts for you!

Edited by XtraChrisP
added the quote

As much as I am looking forward to the Harpoon, I immediately noticed that Wags wording leaves a bit of room for interpretation as to when we will get the Harpoon in the OB. He says „soon“, not „in tonights open beta“...

Let‘s hope this is just a „defensive measure“ in case something goes wrong tonight...:music_whistling:

How effective is Harpoon? I just tried it and fired 2 missiles against Chinese destroyer, and it shoot down both of them. So result was zero damage to the destroyer.
So far minimal. Just tried couple of times against excellent Neutrash ? (dont remember the exact name, the one with TOR SAM) launched 4 at it and all of them intercepted and destroyed. I could do better with Gbu-12 , climb high and drop it from high altitude.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Anyone's whose seen the effectiveness of the Ticonderoga class firing its harpoons in game should not be surprised that these missiles aren't too effective. Harpoons seem too old to be effective in a modern day (or even slightly earlier day) battlefield.

As for their explosive damage if they hit, Wags said that was being worked on. They know that isn't right yet.

How effective is Harpoon? I just tried it and fired 2 missiles against Chinese destroyer, and it shoot down both of them. So result was zero damage to the destroyer.

They are not efficient at all. 4 of them did not bring down a Neustrashimy.

So far minimal. Just tried couple of times against excellent Neutrash ? (dont remember the exact name, the one with TOR SAM) launched 4 at it and all of them intercepted and destroyed. I could do better with Gbu-12 , climb high and drop it from high altitude.

Remember guys, it's still WIP. I am sure there will be some tweaks to the ability of the AI being able to detect/shoot down the Harpoon.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I made some tries,

Medium alt launch can find targets very late and can not go to skim mode at time, overshoot the target.

Could hit a Moskva Destroyer with 3 missiles, it caused %30 damage. Ship went its way without problem

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I made some tries,

Medium alt launch can find targets very late and can not go to skim mode at time, overshoot the target.

Could hit a Moskva Destroyer with 3 missiles, it caused %30 damage. Ship went its way without problem

Moskva is cruiser class ship, its a big ship and its heavy defended. Its normal, its a flag ship ot Russian Black Sea Fleet.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

"Heavily defended" means its armor right? because it didin't respond to harpoons and all 3 of them hit the ship properly

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

"Heavily defended" means its armor right? because it didin't respond to harpoons and all 3 of them hit the ship properly

Im not sure for armor, maybe yes, but it has very powerful air-defence systems, including even S-300 (SA-10). So its really very hard to be sunk. :)

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

I had four of four shoot downs at the Kuznetsov, Molniya, and Neustrashinny.

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

It's a slow moving cruise missile. A handful of them are not going to take out a modern destroyer or cruiser. You are either going to need to take out their air defenses ahead of time somehow (i.e. getting lucky with HARMs) or completely saturate them with simultaneous harpoons from multiple launch aircraft (and potentially ships) preferably from multiple directions. One lone wolf with a few harpoons is not going to be successful against anything with modern air defenses or CIWS.

I made some tries,

I tried going up against merchant vessels just as a test run and had similarly mixed results with MED profile. I think only once I got both missiles to acquire and hit but other times they went long, circled and self destructed.

Incidentally, is the moving target tracking for the TPOD meant to work with ships? I ended up using Paveways to finish the job on one pass but had to manually keep the laser on track as it wouldn't lock a moving target like I have done with land vehicles?

No luck using wags video to get 84D on target. Guess I will have to wait for Grim Reapers or Redkite to make a vid that will explain a little more. Wags makes it look so easy.

I am heading 355 and HSI says 110 or something and the agm goes right by the target.

I dont have much luck with jets weapons.

I've had luck with unarmed ships, anything with SAMS is another story. Seems like the Harpoon doesn't acquire a target until around 8 miles. At that distance it can't dive into skim mode before being shot down. Also, I know the harpoon is very much WIP, and things will most likely be tweaked. Also, I'm not claiming to be an expert on the AGM-84, and have no idea how far out they'd be able to pick up a large ship in real life.