Precision-Guided Munitions - GBU-38 won’t drop

Highwayman-Ed

Haven't played A 10 in a while,but i do remember coming across this issue a few times.

If my memory serves me correctly i used to get aln rdy on the hud and GBU-38 could not be released.

Was able to fixed it every time by rocking the wings (aln rdy changes to rdy and you are good to go).

You Sir, are spot on.

As QuiGon mentioned, I do not ever recall this being a thing that the bombs would drop out of alignment once they had it, but I flew the training mission again this morning and flew very sedately whilst listening to the instructions. As you described the GBU-38's showed RDY in the DSMS page whilst flying toward the target.

Rather than drop GBU-12's on the first pass, I selected the profile for GBU-38's and whilst on Autopilot, flying straight and level, the GBU-38's dropped to ALN RDY. I turned toward the target, now just past my 10 O'Clock and as I came out of the turn they switched to RDY again.

As I approached the target, having flown straight and level for a few minutes again, and just as I was approaching the release point, they dropped to ALN RDY once more. I depressed the pickle button when inside the DLZ, and no bomb dropped. I 'waggled the wings' and they switched to RDY immediately and a press of the pickle button dropped the bomb.

Intended and or accurate behaviour? I'll leave that to ED to answer, but here is the Track File

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
poor spelling!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm, I have never ever seen a TTI on the TGP in the past 6-7 years that I fly the Warthog now. :huh:

Me neither, as TTI is located on the HUD and not the TGP display.

The "rocking" of the wings has been something that many have had to do recently in the MP servers that I have been flying in. Only recall having a few issues in the past, very early on when learning the aircraft (2 years ago or so). Can't say that I have had to perform this procedure in the handful of times I have switch out the Hornet for the A10C (literally 3 or 4 times in the past year since the Hornet released) - but I have had to suggest this maneuver to more than a few folks in MP server(s).

And folks, can we start referring to TMS "up" as the correct terminology please - which is TMS FWD (and DMS/CMS FWD). Its just the correct thing to do.......... (umbrella statement, not directed at one particular individual).

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

You Sir, are spot on.

As QuiGon mentioned, I do not ever recall this being a thing that the bombs would drop out of alignment once they had it, but I flew the training mission again this morning and flew very sedately whilst listening to the instructions. As you described the GBU-38's showed RDY in the DSMS page whilst flying toward the target.

Rather than drop GBU-12's on the first pass, I selected the profile for GBU-38's and whilst on Autopilot, flying straight and level, the GBU-38's dropped to ALN RDY. I turned toward the target, now just past my 10 O'Clock and as I came out of the turn they switched to RDY again.

As I approached the target, having flown straight and level for a few minutes again, and just as I was approaching the release point, they dropped to ALN RDY once more. I depressed the pickle button when inside the DLZ, and no bomb dropped. I 'waggled the wings' and they switched to RDY immediately and a press of the pickle button dropped the bomb.

Intended and or accurate behaviour? I'll leave that to ED to answer, but here is the Track File

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing those observations here. :thumbup:

Now I would really love if some A-10 wizard (like Snoopy) could chime in and explain if that's realistic and why it works that way :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

Hi all

I am being told by the team that GBU-38 can loose alignment, and S turns can help realign them.

This is intended behaviour.

thank you.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all

I am being told by the team that GBU-38 can loose alignment, and S turns can help realign them.

This is intended behaviour.

thank you.

That's good to know, thanks! I'm still curious though why it behaves like that IRL. :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I know what you mean.That is why i have mentioned Point track.

It shouldn't be an issue with the Point track(with Area-definitely would be),and as i have mentioned,it wasn't.

It is my routine practice mission(muscle memory practice) and I have never had any issues with it;until that update.

TTI is on the bottom right corner of the TGP display after release.I seldomly attack single target in one pass with JADAMs,and i do remember it distinctly.

Creating mark points using the TGP is far from perfect.

The TGP uses a mix of the aircraft's INS/GPS and its own LOS to determine where it's looking.

At very flat angles, like in your instance where you're far away from whatever you're pointing at, the position of tank you "lock" is determined by a calculation that is precise enough but not super accurate. If you deisgnate the base of the target (as in the ground right beneath it) you get a much more precise location because the TGP has the ground referenced in its LOS, whereas with an object that "for the aircraft's systems doesn't exist" (as in placed afterwards, so a tank or a building) it will estimate the correct X/Y/Z coordinates based off the theoretical intersection between the LOS and the ground right behind it.

I've attached some mspaint magic to better illustrate what i mean :D

tgp.jpg.171534f4a7d73710353dc75d43e3d548.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

Creating mark points using the TGP is far from perfect.

The TGP uses a mix of the aircraft's INS/GPS and its own LOS to determine where it's looking.

At very flat angles, like in your instance where you're far away from whatever you're pointing at, the position of tank you "lock" is determined by a calculation that is precise enough but not super accurate. If you deisgnate the base of the target (as in the ground right beneath it) you get a much more precise location because the TGP has the ground referenced in its LOS, whereas with an object that "for the aircraft's systems doesn't exist" (as in placed afterwards, so a tank or a building) it will estimate the correct X/Y/Z coordinates based off the theoretical intersection between the LOS and the ground right behind it.

I've attached some mspaint magic to better illustrate what i mean :D

Yes you are correct.:thumbup:

Point track mode simply makes the TGP follow any shape or object that has a sufficient contrast, and is thus suited to track moving objects. To the best of my knowledge, that is literally the only difference between these two modes. In point track mode, the TGP still doesn't know where the object is located. You could be tracking a helicopter, and if you set a markpoint and then slew the TGP onto it, it'll be waaaay off from the helicopter, because the markpoint is where TGP LOS intersects the ground (and the ground itself is "known" because of the digital terrain elevation database).

If you think the game handles it differently, go ahead and prove me wrong.

You too are also correct.:thumbup:

Targets are stationary,in my practice mission.In a last few years never had any problems(same mission),and now there is slight offset.That is ALL!!!

I know very well differences between AREA,POINT,and INR modes.Somehow you think that you know better.

And regarding off topic: your question is off topic. It doesn't even have to do with GBU-38 in the slightest. It's usually considered common courtesy to start a new thread for unrelated questions.

That is your point of view.Mine differs.It has everything to to with GBU-38.

I am mentioning this because i am aware that there are some issues with using GBU-38 in A-10C as of late.

Maybe there is an issue with TGP/GBU-38 interaction.

This is a second time that i had to quote my self.

That was the crux of my post,and somehow you have took it upon your self to educate me on how TGP works,assuming my ignorance and not bothering to read the post carefully and figure out what the post is really about.You have read it the way you wanted to read it,and not the way it is written.Talk about conformation bias.

You are not alone here,but other members were polite and respectful,and neither of them had the gall to suggest to me what i should,or shouldn't do.

Sounds like you should start a new thread; this seems to be off-topic here.

You are not a moderator.

It was first and foremost meant to be read by the people who gave us this module.

Hmm, I have never ever seen a TTI on the TGP in the past 6-7 years that I fly the Warthog now. huh.gif

Me neither, as TTI is located on the HUD and not the TGP display.

There is really an easy way to prove me wrong.Drop JDAM,and look at the bottom right corner of the TGP.

In green symbology R TTI

For example,on the left side of the HUD you will have,lets say 15(15 seconds TTI),

and on the bottom right of the TGP you will have R000:15.

As far as i am aware it is not mentioned in the manual,

but there is an image of what i am talking about on page 553.

book.gifthumbup.gif

Edited by Void78
Addendum

There is really an easy way to prove me wrong.Drop JDAM,and look at the bottom right corner of the TGP.

In green symbology R TTI

For example,on the left side of the HUD you will have,lets say 15(15 seconds TTI),

and on the bottom right of the TGP you will have R000:15.

As far as i am aware it is not mentioned in the manual,

but there is an image of what i am talking about on page 553.

book.gifthumbup.gif

Really don't need to do so, or care to do so. Poor wording on my part - as I should have said, "I use the HUD for TTI, not the TGP."

In terms of the suggestion you originally gave, regarding rocking the wings, I also seconded that and gave first hand experience, along with mention of others experiencing the same issue. Not caring to take this thread further off the OP's original post, regarding an issue with the JDAM. But that was ruined within the first page it seems.

:book::thumbup:

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Really don't need to do so, or care to do so. Poor wording on my part - as I should have said, "I use the HUD for TTI, not the TGP."

In terms of the suggestion you originally gave, regarding rocking the wings, I also seconded that and gave first hand experience, along with mention of others experiencing the same issue. Not caring to take this thread further off the OP's original post, regarding an issue with the JDAM. But that was ruined within the first page it seems.

:book::thumbup:

Cheers,

Don

I agree.

I was under the impression that OPs issue has been resolved.drinks_cheers.gif