How come AIM-120 on the tips?

Knock-Knock

Because they're different aircraft, and you have to take into account matters of acceptable loadouts on wingtips, FOV provided to missiles on each hardpoint, and know which hardpoints mean a rail-launched missile or an ejected one.

Thank you people for your insight about my questions.

Yeah looking closely at the technical aspects (drag vortices at wingtip and the several other aspects) it makes sense I believe.

Still, the sight of a heavier missile at the wingtip was somewhat a novelty to me when the F-16 started employing it that way (and not many other fighters do it I think).

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Second is that 'pitbul' radar on board 120 would have greated FOV for times when 120 would be released at shorter range

Seems to me FOV at short ranges would be more important for an AIM-9X than an AMRAAM. I'd want my wide-FOV dogfight missiles on the station with the greatest unobstructed FOV.

Curious why F/A-18 , Typhoons, Rafale, and Groppen don't follow similar loadout.

For the Hornet at least, allowable wingtip station loading is probably complicated by them being outboard of the wing fold point.

Seems to me FOV at short ranges would be more important for an AIM-9X than an AMRAAM. I'd want my wide-FOV dogfight missiles on the station with the greatest unobstructed FOV.

Yep since it's an HOBS missile, a bigger unobstructed FOV is more important for the AIM-9X than for the AMRAAM.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

• 5 months later...
120s on the tip "stabilizes" the wing IIRC

Yes, but it causes torsional bending as opposed to the transversal flutter of the Sidewinder, because it's bigger and hence its center of gravity is much further forward.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Having 120's on the tips serves two purposes in that it increases the F-16's already impressive roll rate and having the weight of the 120's on the tips reduces wing tip flutter and reduces stress from flutter vibration.

I've never heard about the increased roll rate, but the wingtip flutter issue to increase wing life was the answer when I asked a viper buddy of mine why the 120s were usually carried on the wingtip stations.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB