Need help with take off

jfri

I always fail the take of because the plane steers to the left until leaving the runway. I try to counteract with right brake but it is insufficient and also seem to prevent me from reaching take of speed. What can I do here ?

Lock the tail wheel, and keep the stick stuck in your belly until you build some airspeed (like 70Km/H, then release gently or you'll fly off too soon), it'll run mostly straight the runway without further notice until tail begins to raise, then be ready with the rudder to counter unwanted veers, though just accepting as a matter of fact you won't run the exact runway centre line ever is better for your health. Needless to say using Ata 1.2-3 or so, don't go full power or make power changes once power is up unless you like seeking troubles. And all that sequence lasts like 10 seconds or less so be quick.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Lock the tail wheel, and keep the stick stuck in your belly until you build some airspeed (like 70Km/H, then release gently or you'll fly off too soon), it'll run mostly straight the runway without further notice until tail begins to raise, then be ready with the rudder to counter unwanted veers, though just accepting as a matter of fact you won't run the exact runway centre line ever is better for your health. Needless to say using Ata 1.2-3 or so, don't go full power or make power changes once power is up unless you like seeking troubles. And all that sequence lasts like 10 seconds or less so be quick.

S!

Yes I lock the tail wheel (FAST) according to instructions in the tutorial. Also full right rudder and it still wont. No matter how much I counteract left turning tendency I go off the runway to the left sooner or later.

Use full down trim. Use brakes as much as needed to keep going straight.

Problem is that if I use brakes as much as I need then I don't gain enough speed. And sometimes the needed right brake seem to be more than brake possible.

It is impossible to not gain any speed with pressing the brakes. The engine is enough powerful for that.

You have to options:

1) Not use full power, so it is easier to control

2) Full power and right rudder with breakes to quickly speed up until you don't have to press the brakes anymore.

Yes I lock the tail wheel (FAST) according to instructions in the tutorial. Also full right rudder and it still wont. No matter how much I counteract left turning tendency I go off the runway to the left sooner or later.
That doesn't sound like the tail wheel is locked (latch in forward position), nor brakes are working correctly. You already said they are, but you sure your brakes aren't inverted, both in side (left-right) and axis working direction?

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

We're running in circles here and OP's confusing posts don't help. @jfri, let's start with basics:

a) since the module is your new purchase, are you sure you disabled the takeoff help in its special options?

b) post a track or two showing your takeoff attempts, only then we'll be able to see what's really going on there.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

We're running in circles here and OP's confusing posts don't help. @jfri, let's start with basics:

a) since the module is your new purchase, are you sure you disabled the takeoff help in its special options?

b) post a track or two showing your takeoff attempts, only then we'll be able to see what's really going on there.

Confusing posts ? The take off assist has been 100 and 20 (now and also in the Spit otherwise take off is to difficult in that plane). Do you mean it should be 0 ?

At any rate I now have been able to take off. I discovered one thing not being done correctly. The trim stabalizasor was supposed to be set so that a indicator showed one. During the taxi take off tutorial I pressed the wheel only once which triggered the tutorial to continue making me think it was correctly set. I have found that I need to click it several times in order to get a value 1 displayed

It is impossible to not gain any speed with pressing the brakes. The engine is enough powerful for that.

You have to options:

1) Not use full power, so it is easier to control

2) Full power and right rudder with breakes to quickly speed up until you don't have to press the brakes anymore.

I have tried to follow the instructions in interactive tutorials thus power 1.2 release brakes increase to about 1.35

Confusing posts ? The take off assist has been 100 and 20 (now and also in the Spit otherwise take off is to difficult in that plane). Do you mean it should be 0 ?
:doh: yes, 0 is deactivated, and is what it should be, in 109, Spit and any prop. Anyway even if inadvertently you left take off assistance on and still you aren't able to take off something more is happening there.

S!

I have suggested turning takeoff assist to 0, because when both computer and you try to control the brakes and rudder at the same time (that's what assist does), it might end up doing more harm than good, not to mention that you learn bad habits, which you will have to "un-learn" later anyway.

Trim to 1 and modest boost settings are indeed recommended.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Its been a while since I took off in the BF-109, but here's the things that I remember:

Turn off take-off assist. You'll fight the computer for control, which is not something you want in a plane that is as finicky as the BF-109 on takeoff.

Make sure the tail wheel is locked. Thats when it is pushed forward and latched down.

Set the down trim wheel to about 1-2. Helps keeping you on the runway and build up speed before you really want to take off.

Dont go full power from the start. The torque can send you all over the place. Get yourself rolling and settled and then slowly increase the throttle to takeoff levels.

I seem to remember something about using a bit of right stick as well to counter the propeller torque, but I might be mistaken.

Oh and raising the seat to get a better view over the nose is also nice. Not quite as crucial as in the FW-190, but still a nice to have in my experience.

It take a lot of practice to get this plane off the ground in a somewhat competent looking manner, so just keep at it. :)

Like others have said you want take off assist set to 0. It makes it much easier to control.

Apart from that maybe set your curves to something that suits your HOTAS set up and double check your controls are mapped correctly, especially breaks and rudder.