Documentaries

Peyoteros

I thought for long time that would be nice to have this thread where we can share and discus interesting documentaries about history, military or ANY other subject which bothers or inspires you.

I want to start with "Modern Marvels - Bombs" as it's sort of related to what ED is doing now and will get us familiar with... :smilewink:

Veoh link : (you will need to install VEOH player - good stuff) - HERE 44:43min

Hope you'll find something interesting for you and others too.

Edited by Peyoteros
  • Like 1

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are some other documentaries floating around here, maybe somebody can move them? Also, send a PM to Bumfire, he has a server with videos on it. A.S. has a youtube channel with some cool stuff on it too. Look for "Callsign A.S."

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

No doubt there are plenty of documentaries around, bring them on!

There are some other documentaries floating around here, maybe somebody can move them? Also, send a PM to Bumfire, he has a server with videos on it. A.S. has a youtube channel with some cool stuff on it too. Look for "Callsign A.S."

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 6 months later...

Who Killed the Electric Car?

http://www.alphaila.com/articles/important_things/who-killed-the-electric-car/

An interesting documentary about the EV-1 electric car.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

One of my favorite docu of all times, well maybe it's not really a docu but a heck of a good story, so good that it is impossible not to be true.

The Trap made by Adam Curtis

Part 1: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5376212150896990926#

Part 2: The Lonely Robot

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5376212150896990926#docid=-1087742888040457650

Part 3: We Will Force You To Be Free

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5376212150896990926#docid=-7581348588228662817

• Like 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

• 1 month later...

Saw two highly recommended documentaries in the last couple of days (although the second one, as one reviewer put it, is probably a prankumentary):

Inside Job:

X2DRm5ES-uA

Exit Through the Gift Shop:

oHJBdDSTbLw

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This "Inside Job" documentary looks like a killer documentary..It would be a better movie than "Wall Street" (2010) :-) Damn the modern world could have ended because of this financial crisis. Bravo to the states which helped minimize the effects of this crisis and courageous people and my prayers go to those who lost their homes in the USA and elsewhere (like in Japan right now: will insurances pay for this?)

"Always check your 6 o'clock if you want to live!"

• 10 months later...

Damn it! I was about to watch Das Boot uncut ;)

Kill freedom, kill self-sufficiency

GMO:

The World According to Monsanto

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1189345/

the-world-according-to-monsanto.jpg?w=600

For those more interested in the subject of food supply:

One Man, One Cow, One Planet

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi1966932505/

http://www.steinercollege.edu/store/images/PAAAAAPIDAKFCOGJ.jpg

The "Who killed Electric car" documentary fits here well.

A note:

If you think GMO is "the thing for greanpeace junkies" you're very wrong. But please don't discuss it here.

Senna (2010) - IMDb

MV5BMTc5MTUzOTAxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQzMjg3NA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Good thread.

Unfortunately, I lost the few tapes I got from KPFK Pacifica I obtained while living in Los Angeles. There was one show where Amy Goodman interviewed a female scientist, a whistle blower, who worked at MIT on ballistic missiles defense. It was very interesting the length which the U.S. military went through to smear her and threaten her, and finally ended her career as well as her husband's who has nothing to do with the project. Basically, she exposed a rigged test conducted by the military for reporters to get more funds for research or something to that effect.

This happened 8-9 years ago and I can't remember her name or the name of that particular project. She leaked tons of research papers to KPFK Pacifica Los Angeles station, and it was available for anyone on request. I wish I was savvy with google but I suck at searching.

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Does it occur to you that:

a) if a "rigged" test is neccesary to get the funding to develop the system working like it's SUPPOSED TO, it might not be such a bad thing. Poor methodology, sure, but when there's a system you NEED, and shortsighted individuals want to kill the project just because it's not perfected YET, perhaps a bit justifiable. Congress wanted to kill the Bradley, and Hollywood had a field day blowing the whole "debacle" out of proportion. If those alleged "rigged tests" were allowed to end the project, the US would have had NO IFV during the bulk of the Cold War; instead, the Bradley has been one of the most successful IFVs ever.

b) maybe, just MAYBE the real reason they got her fired was because she "leaked tons of research papers to KPFK Pacifica Los Angeles station, and it was available for anyone on request"? Last I checked, that's a pretty serious national defense crime. Punishable by death, if I know my regs right. And I do.

c) The Department of Defense does not owe the general public a full rundown on the precise capabilities of every system they use. It's irrellevent if they "rigged" a test for the reporters; the DoD has every right to keep the very existence of the ABM system totally classified, much less it's performance parameters. The DoD owes citizens PROTECTION, not information on it's weapons systems. They are doing the public a favor by showing off their systems in any way, even if it is a "rigged" test. Next they'll be complaining that airshow demonstrations rigged because the pilots know exactly what maneuvers they're going to be performing ahead of time.

d) The public does not seem to understand the value of intentional disinformation. Might the "rigged test" have been an intentionally DoD sanctioned effort in order to deceive foreign nations about the capabilities or readiness status of this ABM system? That could have a HUGE impact on national policy and international diplomacy. Unless, of course, some scientist gets it in her head that "the public needs to know!" No. They don't. They don't need to know just how fast an F-22 flies or how small it appears on the bad guys' radar while it's out there defending them. They just need to know they're being defended.

Yes, I hate the current attitude of "we have a right to know!" very, very much. Information is NOT free, just because it belongs to the government does NOT mean it belongs to the individual citizens, and NO, idle curiosity on behalf of a civilian does not justify endangering service members by disclosing capabilities, tactics, or intentions. And Manning should hang.

Edited by OutOnTheOP

Yet implies that they might eventually get there, but she believed that it was unlikely hence the military decided to rig the test.

And I wouldn't call her shortsighted, a patriot, yes. The majority of people in America seem to think that being patriots mean to shut up and do as told even if it means blindly follow your leader into poverty. I don't remember the exact reason why she decided it was time to blow the lid. I do remember her saying they were about to go into production with the design that doesn't work, and they needed the press to wag the tails and stick out their tongues for them. If you want to learn more about it then call kpfk, I'm sure they can make copies.

The dod owes the citizens a system that will actually do as it was intended to, yes. The public needs to know because the public paid for them. The public doesn't need to know how it work but will it work. If you feel otherwise then pick a third world country, go live there, and tell me how you like paying taxes then.

I wanted to add that she wasn't the only one that knew it wouldn't work but the only one brave enough to risk it all.

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Are TED Talks and ForaTV pieces allowed here (assumed the allowance will not be abused)?

In the form of direct links to their website, yes - they're publishing their own stuff on the net and that's fine. Links to redistributable downloads and similar - no, not unless they have explicitly licensed the content for that purpose.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Nothing patriotic about that BS. If she actually cared about the repercussions of a flawed system being implemented, she would have hopped her happy @ss on a train for DC and gone and told someone who 1) had the clearance to know, and 2) actually is in a position to make decisions about that manner of program.

Going to the media with that type of thing is at the very least a flagrant violation of your terms of service in a military project (DA civilians and contractors are subject to military National Defense law... and regular civilians are also subject to most of it). At worst, it's outright treason.

As to your statement about "if I don't like it, I should pack up and move to another country". Wow. That has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand, and is the WORST kind of jingoism. I'll have you know I am IN the military, and on more occasions than I care to relate, I have seen capabilities compromised, Soldiers endangered, and the accomplishment of missions that WE PUT OUR LIVES IN DANGER FOR emperiled because the media thinks that "getting the story out there" is more important than actually accomplishing the tasks the government assigned us.

Yeah, got it, freedom of the press. If someone does something illegal, I expect that to be put out there- and it is, usually VERY prominently. I even think the media should be able to report about our specific operations. But only after the fact. And none of that means we just let them poke around in the SCIFs. We don't let them disassemble our sensitive items. And we don't let them publish classified technical manuals.

And YES, being a patriot DOES means protecting the secrets of your nation when those secrets are vital to the security of the nation. ESPECIALLY when you swore an oath to uphold those secrets- which I guarantee was the case in this one. There's a right way and a wrong way to address those concerns. She chose poorly, and- at least I hope- is now reflecting on that in a penitentary.

When the police start trying to regulate US citizen's firearms rights, or when martial law is implemented, THAT would be something to get all Robin Hood about. But an issue like that... well, it's way above a simple technician's place to make those decisions. Like I said above, even if the system didn't "work", it may have been a strategically sound decision to carry on with it- or even to put it in production- because the affect it would have on threat nation's dealings with the government might in itself have justified the cash spent on a "broken" system.

Again, the BFV springs to mind. If the "whistleblowers" had their way, the US Army would have gone without an IFV for the highest-risk portion of the Cold War. And we would've missed out on one of the best IFVs ever deployed. For that matter, we would have never deployed the F-15, because it was an overpriced boondoggle, right?

Edited by OutOnTheOP

In the form of direct links to their website, yes - they're publishing their own stuff on the net and that's fine. Links to redistributable downloads and similar - no, not unless they have explicitly licensed the content for that purpose.

Sure thing! I was more concerned about whether the lecture form itself is allowed in this topic. / Here we go.

FORA.tv - How Money Corrupts Congress and a Plan to Stop It - Full

One of the most important piece I've seen, ever. Two keywords: it discusses FUNDAMENTALS and origins of the problem and two - it discusses possible solutions. Also an important note: if you think it's specific to America you really have a lot to re-think.

Privacy online - Facebook and mobile networks examples - English captions (subtitles) available

In the times of 'massive ACTA opposition' it is important to understand that while a slightly different topic companies like Google, Facebook, Apple etc. are no better than the ACTA when it comes to long term effects. Must-visits on the subject:

Electronic Frontier Foundation | Defending your rights in the digital world

Ars Technica - Tech Policy News

The Mozilla Mission

Stern TV - Student sagt Facebook den Kampf an - YouTube

Was Facebook über Dich weiß - YouTube

Compare TED Talks at FindTheBest - FindTheData - comparison engine

http://ted-talks.findthedata.org/

http://www.findthebest.com/

Edited by Bucic

Here a funny and interesting ted speech about choice nowadays:

Speech

Edited by asparagin
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...