Questions about Viggen flares

Lenux

I purchased this aircraft, about 3 years ago and did not fly it much

Today I installed it again, and I don't know how to release the flares

I already assigned a button.

Do I need to add anything else ( countermeasure pods )?

Thank you in advance

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

And which one is the countermeasures pod ?

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

And which one is the countermeasures pod ?

Thank you

The KB pod.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks

I thought I could keep the 2 AKAN pods with 2 KB pods, but it seems to be impossible

When I want Flares I load 2 KB pods and move the Flare slide all the way to the right.

To release Flares I use the most simple way: Assign "Fast Countermeasure Dispense" to one button and the flares will release at first button press and stop release at second button press

and move the Flare slide all the way to the right.

The slider has no effect for the Viggen actually. The pods have a fixed amount of flare and chaff.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Did not kow that it has no effect.

Similar to the Tornado BOZ.

It had chaff to no end but only 28 flares.

Well, actually I'm not entirely sure how it works. If I understand correctly, the default setting of the CM sliders is the maximum amount of chaff and flare of 2 KB pods. Increasing the amount should do nothing, but decreasing should work. At least that's how I understand this:

About the number of chaffs, this is the comment I wrote to my self when I implemented this:

"-- Countermeasures

-- There are no discrete nr of chaff charges but there are

-- 18 charges of flares with 2 flares in each charge.

-- In fast-mode the flares lasts 72 seconds and the chaff

-- lasts for 3.5 minutes. The flares are dispensed every other

-- seconds so there should ideally be 2.91 times more chaff

-- than flares (1/(72/(60*3.5))).

-- Because there can be two pods loaded, the max amount needs

-- to be two times the max amount of one pod."

About the there being no tone from certain radars, I will investigate. Probably the "low-tone" and/or ambulance-tone being broken I suppose.

It will only dispense the appropriate amount of chaffs/flares. AI-planes will unfortunately be able to dump both chaff and flares even though not carrying a KB-pod.

So do the Numbers in the mission editor not reflect the number of Chaff / Flare actually carried / dispensed by the Pod?

(As in the right numbers will be dispensed but the numbers in the

ME / Re-Arming panel are inccorect?).

+ Thank you for responding =).

Yes. There is a limitation in DCS that even human planes can only dispense the amount of of chaffs/flares that are set in the mission editor. I can otoh limit the amount dispensed in the plane while in the game. So the default amount in the mission editor should be for planes carrying 2 KB-pods I think, and I'm not sure I set this up properly.

AFAIK it has never been really clearified hown many flares and chaff the KB pods can carry. We only known for how long they can dispense in certain intervalls.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Quite Interesting.....Have You found any effect from flares/chaffs to A/A Missiles...??

Yes, flares can decoy IR missiles and chaff can decoy radar guided missiles.

Tornado3 small.jpg