Best Dogfighter?

Smith

The F-14 is the first aircraft with which i managed to stay alive against 12 enemy AI (high and excelent) planes. The F-14 can really turn tight:

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals

The AI will rarely push their planes to the lmits. Fighting against AI says very little about how the plane actually turns when pushed to the borders of it's flight envelope

Good on you for surviving that long tho

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

The AI will rarely push their planes to the lmits. Fighting against AI says very little about how the plane actually turns when pushed to the borders of it's flight envelope

Tbf I've also heard of the AI cheating in situations so while I agree I think it does hold merit but a test against actual players should be used to confirm performance like that.

I'd say its the best dogfighter with caveats

First and for most if your versing ANYTHING with High off bore sight missiles you can kiss your ass goodbye. R-73s can contribute to this but PRIMARILY its AIM-9Xs that have more or less (as much as its a Meme when talking about why 1960s Interceptors didn't always receive guns like the F-4) have made the dogfight obsolete if you/your opponent uses Track IR or VR and can aim using the HMS. And with the Eurofighter Typhoon coming with the possibility of IRIS-T Missiles with over the shoulder capability, this may only be exaggerated with time.

If restrictions (mission Lore wise or otherwise) are placed so your enemies only use AIM-9M or M equivalents then you got a good argument.

As some advice, the best turn rate for the F-14 is dropping the flaps and staying around Mach 0.55. If you do this and can keep your speed there you should out turn every modern jet in DCS in the horizontal.

Currently due to how DCS works I've been told and experienced the fact as an avid F-14 pilot myself, that it seems G Loads tolerances for pilots aren't standardized in DCS among modules (this was also told to me by GrowlingSidewinder if you want a source of note). As a result you should also be able to out turn F-16Cs even though irl if flown correctly at it's slot of about 400knts to 450knts in Dogfight mode the Viper should be able to match or out turn the Tomcat.

You still need to be carful as the F-18C and the F-16C can still be dangerous with how they can abuse the shit out of their AOA. But in terms of BLUEFOR Vs REDFOR she is a force to be reckoned with.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is Jester, even if your out turned by F-16s the combat awareness that Jester gives is amazing. I mean you've been essentially given one of those optical systems the A-10 has in the form of a person. To my knowledge its the only fighter that can detect an IR Missile launch without the pilot seeing the actual missile allowing you to focus more on maneuvers and Countermeasure deployment rather then watching for missiles

Edited by Southernbear

• 1 month later...

The AI can do endlessly sustained high alpha loops that you can't possibly match. Fly the Mig 21 and try to do the same that the AI Mig 21 does when you are fighting it in an F-14; You'd pancake into the ground.

Like all Sims the AI flight model is very basic and cheats. It would be awesome if we could load AI bots with full flight model on a dedicated computer or on cloud server for a proper fight.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is Jester, even if your out turned by F-16s the combat awareness that Jester gives is amazing. I mean you've been essentially given one of those optical systems the A-10 has in the form of a person. To my knowledge its the only fighter that can detect an IR Missile launch without the pilot seeing the actual missile allowing you to focus more on maneuvers and Countermeasure deployment rather then watching for missiles

So true! I give Jester a hard time (BVR) but forget that he is a God send in WVR furball. Sorry Jester I need to be more positive.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

As some advice, the best turn rate for the F-14 is dropping the flaps

:doh:

As a result you should also be able to out turn F-16Cs even though irl if flown correctly at it's slot of about 400knts to 450knts in Dogfight mode the Viper should be able to match or out turn the Tomcat.

Not a chance in DCS. You can't pull enough G without blacking out.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria