TGP - random thoughts

Flagrum

The current implementation of the tracking modes seem a bit unintuitive. For one, you can not slew the reticle in neither point track nor area track mode. This makes especially locking moving targets in point track mode overly challenging. And, for two, the point track mode itself is strange: wherever you switch to PT, the reticle stays there. Even is there is nothing beneath it - like the ocean or the desert sand - where it could get a contrast lock.

So, the PT mode, if not locked to anything, why can't it be slewn? Or the other way around, why is it even possible to switch to PT mode if there is no object beneath the reticle?

More intuitive would be, imo, if PT gets only activated if an actual lock can be aquired. Then it would make sense, that you can't move the reticle - as it is locked. But if you fail to get a proper PT lock, perhaps the TPOD should default to area track instead - preferably slewable?

Thoughts?

(This is not meant as a wishlist posting. If it is all bonkers what I wrote, then "it is what it is". But perhaps, maybeeeee? the current implementation is not yet perfect and if a dev reads this, he might consider re-thinking the current solution?)

(...)

More intuitive would be, imo, if PT gets only activated if an actual lock can be aquired. Then it would make sense, that you can't move the reticle - as it is locked. But if you fail to get a proper PT lock, perhaps the TPOD should default to area track instead - preferably slewable?

Thoughts?

(...) and if a dev reads this, he might consider re-thinking the current solution?)

If you can support this with real documentation that is public, they will definitely change it to what the document says.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

If you can support this with real documentation that is public, they will definitely change it to what the document says.

If I had access to such documentation, I would not have posted "random thoughts", but a bug report. ;)

But there is the posibillity that the devs interpreted their documents wrongly and if they are seeing a different perspective on how it is implemented now, they might realize this. Not saying, that I believe that this is the case, but it still is a possibility.

If I had access to such documentation, I would not have posted "random thoughts", but a bug report. ;)

But there is the posibillity that the devs interpreted their documents wrongly and if they are seeing a different perspective on how it is implemented now, they might realize this. Not saying, that I believe that this is the case, but it still is a possibility.

From what I have heard, the way it is now is for the most part correct.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

PTRK is currently super WIP, because the FLIR engine is still WIP. Eventually the PTRK brackets will change size to track the hot spot beneath them and it will make more sense.
The A-10C TGP already adjusts the PTRK gates to the object, it's just that the functionality hasn't been coded into the F-18 pod (yet, I hope). PTRK still tracks an object in the sim, even if it's not correctly based on image contrast now.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro