parking brake vs. emergency brake...

fitness88

The emergency brake handle will command the brakes to become powered by the brake accumulator backed up by the APU accumulator, the brake accumulator is afaik the thing that the parking brake is powered by.

Pulling the Emergency brake handle whilst you still have normal brake pressure will cause the antiskid to become deactivated regardless.

So bottom line is yes the Emergency and Parking brake probably have the same effectiveness, but using them as a supplement to standard braking is ineffective and because of the deactivating antiskid, will likely increase the stopping distance.

Edit: To add to the above, if you are at the correct landing weight and use the airbrake as well as correct braking technique you can stop the hornet well within 6000ft, which is long enough for pretty much every runway in DCS with a few exceptions.

Edited by Swiftwin9s

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

I could be wrong but I believe they are the same brake referee to parking brake when it is pulled and turned and locked into the parking position if you just pull it out it an emergency brake don’t forget the toe brakes on the pedals

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Did some tests...adding emerg. brake or hand brake to regular braking adds nothing to decreasing the stopping distance of regular brakes alone.

Since the emergency/parking brake disables the anti-skid, stopping distance should increase.

Normal manual braking with the anti-skid on IRL results in the shortest possible stopping distance.

In the DCS F/A-18, apart from the different tire marks and the noticeable reduced directional stability, there's no difference in stopping distance between anti-skid on and off.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

If you run out of runway, just drop the hook and take the barrier (call tower and have them raise the cable) and if you need additional braking power, turn off anti-skid...but be ready for a popped tire from overheat of the brake pads on the wheels.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I could be wrong but I believe they are the same brake referee to parking brake when it is pulled and turned and locked into the parking position if you just pull it out it an emergency brake don’t forget the toe brakes on the pedals

That works in the real world F-15C!

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...if you need additional braking power, turn off anti-skid...but be ready for a popped tire from overheat of the brake pads on the wheels.

Doesn't make sense since the wheels will lock up if you apply more brake pressure than with the anti-skid on, hence the brakes will heat up less.

If you apply less brake pressure, the stopping distance will increase and brake temps will be lower as well.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Saying that anti skid on produces the minimum stopping distance assumes that it is correctly set and that cant be assumed with so much else badly setup within the sim/module.

Having said that, controlling the aircraft without it is likely disaster.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

If you hit soft soil and drop the hook aren’t you a farmer plowing at that point ?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but FYI, having anti-skid does not decrease stopping distance.  The purpose of anti-skid is to maintain control of the craft while it stops, not actually "brake better."

Just Google "does anti-lock decrease braking distance" and you'll find plenty of reading material.

It depends on the ABS system. A good ABS will always stop quicker than non-ABS.

If you are old enough and grew up in a climate which regularly has snow and ice in winter, you learned to pump you brakes when it's slippery. If you lock your brakes, not only can you no longer steer, if your tires are only skidding on--be it snow, ice, wet pavement, mud, leaves, whatever-- on, they have less stopping power, than if you are pumping them, ie press-release-press-release-press-release.

So if ABS only does press-release, but automatically, how can it stop quicker? Because it uses sensors to tell when the wheels are about to lock up, and lessens the brakes power, before asserting them again. It does this many times per second.

Not only would it be the rare human who might be able to pump the brakes that quickly, humans do not have sensors telling him/her that the wheels are about to lock-up, to know to let up on them.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and conjecture the Navy doesn't buy crappy ABS for the Hornet.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

10 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

It depends on the ABS system. A good ABS will always stop quicker than non-ABS.

If you are old enough and grew up in a climate which regularly has snow and ice in winter, you learned to pump you brakes when it's slippery. If you lock your brakes, not only can you no longer steer, if your tires are only skidding on--be it snow, ice, wet pavement, mud, leaves, whatever-- on, they have less stopping power, than if you are pumping them, ie press-release-press-release-press-release.

So if ABS only does press-release, but automatically, how can it stop quicker? Because it uses sensors to tell when the wheels are about to lock up, and lessens the brakes power, before asserting them again. It does this many times per second.

Not only would it be the rare human who might be able to pump the brakes that quickly, humans do not have sensors telling him/her that the wheels are about to lock-up, to know to let up on them.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and conjecture the Navy doesn't buy crappy ABS for the Hornet.

And in an aircraft context then no ABS is going to mean a locked wheel at landing speed is going to be a wrecked tyre from flat-spotting or possibly an exploded one.

Yeah, but you never land with brakes on. The stress tires endure simply by touching down at over 100 knts , while the wheels are not rotating, is enormous.

At one time they tried making the wheels turn at least closer to landing speed for touchdown (I think it was just for airliners, but larger aircraft anyway), but the weight and cost of motorizing all the wheels was considered to high compared to developing tires that can take the strain, and replacing them often.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

As someone who popped a tire after landing (and had the full experience of emergency services rolling out, runway and taxiway being closed for debris investigation [KSJC, 30L, 2016]), I can tell you that I will never-ever doubt that locking the wheels with excessive braking is a myth 🙂

Edited by markom
  • Like 1