Wind direction - Briefing and ME - still a mess

The wind reporting in the briefing and mission editor are still incorrect.

As you can see in the image below from the HSI and wind sock, the winds are coming FROM ~135 or SE. 135 is also the direction reported by ATC, which is correct.

However, in the briefing and mission editor, they are reporting ~325 or NW; this is the direction to which the wind is going TO, which is incorrect, conflicts with ATC, and is generally confusing!

This has been wrong for so long; please, please, PLEASE can it be fixed?

attachment.php?attachmentid=139868&stc=1&d=1462117383

To improve clarity, I also suggest that the arrows in the mission editor are also changed to indicate the direction the wind is coming FROM, for example, the arrow pointing towards the centre, rather than edge, as I've shown below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=139869&stc=1&d=1462118133

Just because I happen to know where to find it - from 2014: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=124729

(Sometimes I wonder why such "quick win" bugfixes are neglected so often. Tiny efford to fix, huge impact on the game. Not to mention the positive "PR" effect and positive reception of the community if *insert dev of your choice* show up with long patch logs, etc.)

• 4 weeks later...
Now with carrier ops I almost always manage to mess up the winds because I can never remember which of the readouts is right and which isn't.

I'm really getting sick of this.

SORT IT FFS, BUGS DON'T GET ANY EASIER TO FIX!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Perhaps the reason this has not been changed over all of these years is that it’s not considered to be a bug. They read direction the same as wind barbs which is also consistent with the dynamic weather map.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Guess it’s never bothered me. I’ve always thought of it as “ flow direction” given the graphical representation.

EDIT: I believe it’s designed to work with the other ME tools like the measuring tool. Everything reads in terms of “flow direction” (direction of travel). Makes it easier to check how the wind crosses a runway, for instance. What’s imported into the briefing, however, is a separate issue. Personally I don’t pay much attention to it. But obviously that’s just me.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 1 month later...

I will +1 and add something. I noticed the briefing will always report a value of 29.92 for QNH every time you enter a mission that uses dynamic weather. Made a video to show it is incorrect. Anyone using the dynamic weather in missions should probably do an F10 check of the airport and find its altitude and set there QNH to the proper value by making sure there barometric altitude is giving the same altitude as the airport they are taking off from. Unless of course there flying planes like the Viggen that needs QFE settings for each target point or for landing.

https://youtu.be/r1N-nuV0Etg

Also surprised to read the wind issue has been reported 4 years ago and still not fixed.

Ignore my previous posting, I made an error. The QFE provided by the briefing is correct I was looking at QNH and not QFE for local Aerodrome. I change persian gulf Inferno practice map to dynamic weather and the QFE ended up being 30.52 which once the altimeter is set gave me 60 feet on the deck of the carrier which is correct.

I'm guessing wind is not a bug either and is correct for some point on the map. But you would likely need to listen to your ATC for your local Aerodrome for the wind in that current location on the map since the wind changes directions within each weather system.

I've been finding it messy as well. At some locations the wind direction is from, others it's to. Possibly related to terrains. In Caucasus I generally have to enter 180 opposite the wind I want, whereas in Nevada it's typically correct as-is. The other problem is that wind speed in the mission briefings is displayed in metric despite my game settings being Imperial/NATO.

• 1 month later...

+1

Very confusing when you are used to real world aviation meteorology!

Please fix this!

The wind reporting in the briefing and mission editor are still incorrect.

As you can see in the image below from the HSI and wind sock, the winds are coming FROM ~135 or SE. 135 is also the direction reported by ATC, which is correct.

However, in the briefing and mission editor, they are reporting ~325 or NW; this is the direction to which the wind is going TO, which is incorrect, conflicts with ATC, and is generally confusing!

This has been wrong for so long; please, please, PLEASE can it be fixed?

To improve clarity, I also suggest that the arrows in the mission editor are also changed to indicate the direction the wind is coming FROM, for example, the arrow pointing towards the centre, rather than edge, as I've shown below.

Yes very confusing since LOMAC (and even Flanker I presume)… :music_whistling:

All mates with whom I have been flying for years are always confused about it too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

• 1 month later...

In the first mission for the UH-1 UN mission

they call that the wind is 280/X when you are comming in to land.

in reality the wind is comming from E as seen on the windsock and would correspond with the "tailwind at altitude".

Now I find this really confusing.

Real world aviation always calls wind in the TRUE direction it is comming from. Also is it possible that ATC always state wind when given cleared to land?

• 1 year later...

I too find DCS confusing in this regard.

Most of the world report Wind as the direction from and use QNH for altimeter setting. I have never flown or controlled in Russia but I am lead to believe Russia uses wind to and QFE settings. I have controlled Russian aircraft and their occasional confusion in this regard would support this.

Unfortunately I think the minority case (Russia) appears to have been implemented in DCS, and is consequently not seen as a bug.

Further refinement would be regarding True vs Magnetic. Navies use true, often even for aircraft ops.

ATIS is magnetic. METAR/TAFs are true. The general rule (with many exceptions) is written weather information is given in true whereas spoken wind information is in Magnetic. However the International standard is that the direction is a "from" direction.