Update for A-10 - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #21
Greyman

I always fly in VR and looking at some of the 2d videos, on YouTube, there does appear to be a difference between the two. The vertical scaling in VR, in particular, appears to be off, with there being no chance of seeing the bottom and top of the HUD information from the default, or any other, viewpoint.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #22
Harzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
I always fly in VR and looking at some of the 2d videos, on YouTube, there does appear to be a difference between the two. The vertical scaling in VR, in particular, appears to be off, with there being no chance of seeing the bottom and top of the HUD information from the default, or any other, viewpoint.
What I'm saying is that there are people reporting all possible states (perfect in VR, useless in VR, perfect in 2D, useless in 2D, everything in-between). If all are to be believed, then there must be a way to achieve positive results.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:04 AM   #23
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harzach View Post
What I'm saying is that there are people reporting all possible states (perfect in VR, useless in VR, perfect in 2D, useless in 2D, everything in-between). If all are to be believed, then there must be a way to achieve positive results.

There is a sweet spot that you *have* to work to find. And it depends on how good your eye sight is. And it depends on the horsepower of your PC.

So there's a lot that can give such conflicting results/reports.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #24
Greyman

Subjectivity is always going to be an issue, but when in the default view, although the text on the HUD is perfectly readable, the HUD is simply too big. If I move the pilot's position forward, to where it was for years, then I can indeed see the whole HUD, but that puts the pilot right on top of the joystick.

Although some users might be OK with this, there are obviously others that are not, otherwise ED would not have moved the default to a more realistic position. When they moved it however, they appear to have done just half of the job, as they do not appear to have accounted for the fact that the HUD projection screen effectively appears smaller, the further away you are from it.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #25
Harzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
Subjectivity is always going to be an issue, but when in the default view, although the text on the HUD is perfectly readable, the HUD is simply too big. If I move the pilot's position forward, to where it was for years, then I can indeed see the whole HUD, but that puts the pilot right on top of the joystick.

Although some users might be OK with this, there are obviously others that are not, otherwise ED would not have moved the default to a more realistic position. When they moved it however, they appear to have done just half of the job, as they do not appear to have accounted for the fact that the HUD projection screen effectively appears smaller, the further away you are from it.
Yeah, seems they did not take the perspective change into account?

Since the HUD is focused at infinity, moving back away from it will reduce the apparent size of the HUD frame relative to the projection, so you will see less of the projection. Seems like an easy fix, which means it probably isn't. I dunno.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound57 View Post
Hey guys,

It has been mentioned that the A-10C will be getting some "love" from ED in the form of an update. What are you guys expecting for this update?

I hope that there will be an pilotbody. If possible with transparent zones, where the mousepointer hit the body, to see all buttons easily.

The position of the pilot head should be corrected to some inches backwards.

HUD need much love with the corrected head position.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #27
blkspade

The very specific problem that exists with the HUD scaling wise (also in F-15) is when shifting your head backwards the text gets larger to the point that it doesn't all fit. This also happens with the pilot helmet as seen in the mirror of the F-15, to where it basically consumes more mirror area as you move further back from it.