SeaQuark presents: KOREA! (F-86 vs MiG-15 PvP)

SeaQuark

Server is still running?

Unfortunately, I am closing the Korea server for now. My server PC just wouldn't run DCS reliably, and frankly, I lack the funds to upgrade / replace it at this time. Plus with the release of Normandy, I think there was waning player interest in a Korean War server on 1.5-- just bad timing.

Big thanks to everyone who hopped on and gave it a shot, I hope you had fun. I learned a lot about mission-making and running a server; I hope someday to give it another shot, running either Korea, WW2, or other historically-minded multiplayer scenario.

The Discord channel will remain open in the meantime as an informal flying club and meeting spot; mostly we have been flying props on Normandy, so if you are in need of a wingman, feel free to stop by.

Discord = https://discord.gg/KqpQSSC

Edited by SeaQuark

Unfortunately, I am closing the Korea server for now. My server PC just wouldn't run DCS reliably, and frankly, I lack the funds to upgrade / replace it at this time. Plus with the release of Normandy, I think there was waning player interest in a Korean War server on 1.5-- just bad timing.

Big thanks to everyone who hopped on and gave it a shot, I hope you had fun. I learned a lot about mission-making and running a server; I hope someday to give it another shot, running either Korea, WW2, or other historically-minded multiplayer scenario.

The Discord channel will remain open in the meantime as an informal flying club and meeting spot; mostly we have been flying props on Normandy, so if you are in need of a wingman, feel free to stop by.

Discord = https://discord.gg/KqpQSSC

First, I want to say you did a great job with the server, and mission.

Now for the criticism. I fully expected this result, and not because of Normandy. I'm sure peoples motivations vary quite wildly, but anyone who wants to dogfight (use Blue Flag as an example, almost all Bluefor are in CAP fighters. Use Burning Skies as an example, very few people actually attack ground targets) isn't going to like your server.

Without the label mod, it is exceedingly painful to locate other aircraft, and I spent an hour or more of my free time several times doing so. Out of my attempts I only ever located enemy aircraft twice, and out of those engagements only one went to the finish line. The engagement which didn't was due to the other aircraft vanishing against the ground even though I was looking at them (thank you DCS). Those engagements were about 5 minutes tops.... so I spent 2+ hours for 10 minutes of fun? Thank you, I went to another server. I expect everyone else who actually wanted to dogfight did the same.

This was my only issue with the server. Everything else was brilliant, but this issue is so big no amount of shine anywhere else is going to make it appealing for me who just wants to get into a dogfight as quick as possible.

First, I want to say you did a great job with the server, and mission.

Now for the criticism. I fully expected this result, and not because of Normandy. I'm sure peoples motivations vary quite wildly, but anyone who wants to dogfight (use Blue Flag as an example, almost all Bluefor are in CAP fighters. Use Burning Skies as an example, very few people actually attack ground targets) isn't going to like your server.

Without the label mod, it is exceedingly painful to locate other aircraft, and I spent an hour or more of my free time several times doing so. Out of my attempts I only ever located enemy aircraft twice, and out of those engagements only one went to the finish line. The engagement which didn't was due to the other aircraft vanishing against the ground even though I was looking at them (thank you DCS). Those engagements were about 5 minutes tops.... so I spent 2+ hours for 10 minutes of fun? Thank you, I went to another server. I expect everyone else who actually wanted to dogfight did the same.

This was my only issue with the server. Everything else was brilliant, but this issue is so big no amount of shine anywhere else is going to make it appealing for me who just wants to get into a dogfight as quick as possible.

Haha, I knew you were going to say this, Body! You've always complained about this in this server. It is a DCS issue no doubt. But in my opinion it wasn't entirely the spotting issue that ruined it. Heck I have the same issue with the ACG server (Cold War). BUT players LOVE the MiG-21 and obviousley the F-5 too so no matter what the circumstances are they will always fly there. Nothing pisses me off more than the F-5 being so invisible in DCS but that will never stop me from flying the MiG-21 against it on the ACG server. Why? Again, becasue I love that module! Now you get the point. Not so many players out there love the MiG-15 or the Sabre. Simple as that. Maybe because they prefer BVR or firing IR's in a dogfight. And when it comes to AA gun battles they go a couple of years back and fly the WWll planes. And with Normandy, the Spitfire, WWll ground units and upcoming modules/features for the WWll theatre etc. the MiG-15 and the Sabre will be more and more forgotten :cry:

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

Hey Quark, thanks for bringing the server back. I was online yesterday. (struggling with the Sabre steering, since the server doesn't use use the simple NWS steering. I'll get that sorted). :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hey Quark, thanks for bringing the server back. I was online yesterday. (struggling with the Sabre steering, since the server doesn't use use the simple NWS steering. I'll get that sorted). :-)

Thanks Javelina. Yeah, I didn't announce it officially yet, since I'm still working on it. But y'all might as well know, the Server is back up on a *hopefully-most-of-the-time* basis.

I am running the same mission as before. Currently testing out new hardware for the server while I work on a new and much improved Korean War scenario. Will keep you all posted, but in the meantime, if you see SQP: KOREA! up and active, feel free to join in.

Please excuse any technical difficulties during this transitional period.

As always, the Discord is open, and a great place to connect with other Mig or Sabre pilots.

Good to have you back, buddy! I will fly on sunday once back home. I see you've added the Dora. Maybe a good idea to attract more players :thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Good to have you back, buddy! I will fly on sunday once back home. I see you've added the Dora. Maybe a good idea to attract more players :thumbup:

Yeah, for now, as placeholders for Soviet props.

This is still my 'old' mission. I should note that going forward, I will probably simplify things and restrict the server to Mig-15, F-86, F-51 (i.e., strictly planes that were available during Korean War). Doesn't seem like many people are using the 'placeholder' units (German props, Hueys), and I don't blame 'em.

Yeah, for now, as placeholders for Soviet props.

This is still my 'old' mission. I should note that going forward, I will probably simplify things and restrict the server to Mig-15, F-86, F-51 (i.e., strictly planes that were available during Korean War). Doesn't seem like many people are using the 'placeholder' units (German props, Hueys), and I don't blame 'em.

Agreed. Keep it real then. Hope we get the numbers this time.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• 5 weeks later...
I hope this happens, cant wait

Hey, just a heads up for anyone still watching this thread: the new server is going to be ready this weekend. It is currently online (password-protected) for play-testing while I work out the bugs. If you want to help try it out, just stop by the Discord server for the password.

I will be retiring this forum thread, as the new server is completely different, with a new name, all the info here will be outdated. Will be officially announcing the new server very soon. Stay tuned!