HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

So I have a: i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti 16GB ....

Do you think I can take a HP Reverb? I run Rift S at 1.5 SS tolerably well ...

Not very scientific but...

I ran an Index and Reverb on the same machine with near identical performance. I also tested the Index on another PC as it initially wouldn't work on my games PC and it was quite usable with DCS and IL2.

That machine is a 5820k @4GHz & 1080 (not Ti) 16GB RAM

Not sure what your 4790K runs at but I think you should be ok. Hopefully someone with similar specs can chip in.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I've read that you shouldn't use any soap or additives/chemicals on these lenses as it can damage them. Just soft microfiber cloth and maybe water to dampen the cloth and clean the lenses.
No Problems and Fog here with normal Soap

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

I have a few Reverb questions I hope you all can help me with!

I got my Reverb today, I have been using a Rift S. I am super happy with the clarity of the display on the Reverb, I am seeing details in the cockpit I have never seen before!! It does have its quirks, but so does the Rift and Rift S. My system was pretty much state of the art a couple of years ago (see specs in signature) but now is probably more a high-midrange setup. So far though, performance is much better than I had expected! I am still tweaking and tuning but it looks like it will run as good as my Rift S did and still have a MUCH clearer display!

Couple questions: What should be my procedure for starting DCS? I have always used Skatezilla's tool, but the Reverb won't fire up unless I manually start the WMR portal for Steam VR first. Is that normal? Also, Oculus starts too....is that needed, and if not, how to stop it? Also...how do you set the IPD? I know its software on the Reverb but I haven't found the setting yet. Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

So I have a: i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti 16GB ....

Do you think I can take a HP Reverb? I run Rift S at 1.5 SS tolerably well ...

I have an oc`ed 4790k, 24gb ram and a oc`ed 2080. The Reverb is not a problem, and runs better at it`s 2k per eye than my old CV1. DCS optimization is a BIG problem, and until we have Vulkan then the single thread bottleneck has GPU`s potential choked. A busy map and the GPU will likely be running at half steam. MSAA is also a big resource hog and there should be better AA options.

Can hover around 80/90fps near the ground on the Nevada map with the majority of planes bar the F-14, Viggen and maybe the MiG-21(haven`t flown it in a while). PG is also pretty good away from the city areas.

Edited by Zoomer

Couple questions: What should be my procedure for starting DCS? I have always used Skatezilla's tool, but the Reverb won't fire up unless I manually start the WMR portal for Steam VR first. Is that normal? Also, Oculus starts too....is that needed, and if not, how to stop it? Also...how do you set the IPD? I know its software on the Reverb but I haven't found the setting yet. Thanks!

WMR just starts automatically for me when I turn on my pc, I then click on the desktop icon for my standalone DCS and it automatically starts Steam VR and the game loads and starts in VR. If I closed down the WMR software for any reason before starting the game I just restart it again from the steam library/software and proceed as before.

You can stop the Oculus program from starting by right clicking on it and go into properties and alter its startup permissions.

IPD adjustment is done in your Windows setting -> mixed reality, on the desktop and not within the VR headset. Not sure it works as intended yet as it seems to make little difference atm.

You can also use shaving cream :-)

We VR Motionsim Simracer ,with 20Nm Direct Drive Wheels and 60kg brake pressure in our Simulators,sweat a lot on longs stints ,specially on the Nordschleife and it's for years approved now.

I use VR since the first DK2 Releaseday.

https://www.facebook.com/micsimracing/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

Use pure soap on the lenses and Fog was yesterday.

Or, I can remove the nose seal like I already did. If I'm going to use anything on the lenses, I'll just use an old diver's trick and spit on them. ;) Removing the nose seal though had the added benefit of allowing me to peak at my keyboard when I need to. I have microfiber towels to clean the lenses with, and they don't need any help from any chemicals. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I always just use my hot breath and microfiber cloth on the lenses, seems to work well for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I always just use my hot breath and microfiber cloth on the lenses, seems to work well for me.
I do the same. Eventually the reverb heats up pretty quickly and the fogging stops.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Reminds me of the days when i spit into a scuba mask to stop fogging :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Not very scientific but...

I ran an Index and Reverb on the same machine with near identical performance. I also tested the Index on another PC as it initially wouldn't work on my games PC and it was quite usable with DCS and IL2.

That machine is a 5820k @4GHz & 1080 (not Ti) 16GB RAM

Not sure what your 4790K runs at but I think you should be ok. Hopefully someone with similar specs can chip in.

Thanks. I'm running at 4Ghz. So worth a shot ...

Ive got an index but im still having trouble reading mfds gauges.Is the reverb pro worth it over the index? Thanks in advance

Can't really say, since I've never tried an Index, but I have no trouble reading gauges with my Reverb. That's with 100% SteamVR SS, and DCS PD of 1.0. The thing just doesn't need any help with clarity. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Ive got an index but im still having trouble reading mfds gauges.Is the reverb pro worth it over the index? Thanks in advance
In terms of clarity and reading gauges yes it is.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Can u guyz tell me if u can correctly see (in the sweet spot) just in front of you ? like if ur taking the controller close to you're eyes and see it clearly ? For me it's really blurry, same in the distance maybe 5 / 8m in front of the aircraft.

For me reverb is really good for reading the gauges despite the small sweet spot. I'm still trying to tweak it but it's quitte difficult. I really can't reach 45fps on dubai map, after following Thug's guid.

1080ti / 16gb ram / 7700k oc 4.5Ghz

Today again, after about 30 minutes of play the problems start.

attachment.php?attachmentid=220046&stc=1&d=1572213109

Here everything is fine.

attachment.php?attachmentid=220047&stc=1&d=1572213109

Here, moving the view a tiny bit down, HMD screen blackouts start to blink on/off. Moving the view back up by the same amount and the blackouts stop again.

Can this really be related to power supply?

I am still trying to figure out my blackouts when looking at the ground in DCS.

JbY_KBRTxqk

Note the headset display going dark (blinking on-off in seconds interval) when the DCS in game view is shifted slightly down and the headset going back to normal when the view goes up again. The headset rests still on the table so no tracking is involved (view is controlled by mouse). The DCS scene is bare empty desert.

My suspicion now is that it might is also be related to heat. The fact that the problems start only after a while of playing might be related to the headset heating up. Today I could play for over 60 minutes before getting blackouts and it is indeed colder in my room than last week. Also I took the headset off and did some testing with the screens still running (e.g. to make the video above) and after a while the blackouts went away. Putting the headset back on my head, after some minutes the blackouts came again.

How the hell tough headset temperature and looking at the ground in DCS are related is beyond me.

I hired a reverb for the weekend just to see if it was any good on my system.After a lot of altering different things like turning asw on etc I got it running to an acceptable standard. I have a annoying and persistant problem though,not in game, that's okay ,its the loading screens shimmer and flicker, sometimes to the point where I get brassed off with it and flip the HMD up till the game screen appears.Does anybody else see this?

Yep,it's a Steam VR /WMR problem and we waiting for a fix.

Using the Steam VR Beta and the Steam WMR Beta, can reduce the Loadscreen-Flickering, but it's still not gone at all.

I close my eyes in Loadscreens.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I flip up the headset until I see it load on the monitor, it is a minor annoyance but doesn't bother me now I know to expect it.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Hi guys, gonna desperately try and reach out again for help here.

Been away from DCS for a few weeks and now I’m encountering a problem that makes flying an extreme chore. Couple times every minute my view suddenly jerks and changes and my viewpoint/center point often changes. Sometimes it just briefly flashed as if I’m looking at the floor of the cockpit or something and then snaps back. And sometimes it recenters my view to something else entirely. I don’t believe it’s a tracking issue because my tracking otherwise seems buttery smooth. Light in my room hasn’t changed and adding more light didn’t help. This doesn’t happen in the Steam House or WMR room. Unfortunately I don’t really run any other VR programs to test. I should have specified this is in DCS latest beta with SteamVR beta and WMR beta for steam. I also don’t see any key info that would be mucking with the views.

I’m downloading the stable DCS to see if it happens there too as I wasn’t having this issue a month ago.

Guess I’m trying to figure out if it’s a headset issue, DCS issue or steam.

Any help would be most appreciated as I seem to be grounded til I get this resolved.

Thanks Jason

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

Addendum- The view flickering happens even in the stable release. And actually I am questioning whether or not it happens in the SteamVR room too. So maybe the problem is there. Anyone else having any issue like this?

Interestingly enough, I noticed that the every other second throttling issue with my GPU frametime doesn't happen in the stable release like it does in the beta. This also seemed to be a new thing over the last couple updates. Anyone find a solution for the picture/link below as well?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254023

thanks Jason

Edited by jasonstory44

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Reverb-Virtual-Reality-Headset/product-reviews/B07R768KJP/ref=cm_cr_unknown?filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

Read the reviews; that's where I start with any product. I'm always curious about how many 1 and 2 star reviews show up, and why.

If I can get past that as not applicable to my usage, I'm in.

Hp Reverb is sitting at 40% 1 + 2 star reviews.

Addendum- The view flickering happens even in the stable release. And actually I am questioning whether or not it happens in the SteamVR room too. So maybe the problem is there. Anyone else having any issue like this?

Interestingly enough, I noticed that the every other second throttling issue with my GPU frametime doesn't happen in the stable release like it does in the beta. This also seemed to be a new thing over the last couple updates. Anyone find a solution for the picture/link below as well?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254023

thanks Jason

Hi Jason,

I've had this problem recently too, but it didn't happen at all yesterday. Yesterday was different from my usual weekend routine in DCS though. I was flying a different aircraft, in a different scenario. What aircraft are you flying usually? Have you tried other aircraft, scenarios, terrains? I have seen exactly what you're talking about, and I agree that it was only in the last few updates that this became a problem.

mpdugas, so many bad reviews on Amazon are from people who didn't have any basic troubleshooting skills. Most of the problems listed are caused by improper setup and hardware that's not up to the task. Yes, there are legitimate issues, such as the fragile, unreliable nature of having not just 1 cheesy DP connection, but 2 of them. I had those issues myself, and they were fixed with a new cable from HP.

I knew this was essentially experimental technology, but the resolution increase made it worth it to me to participate in the development, troubleshooting, and growing pains that were inevitable. Overall, I'm so much happier with the Reverb from both a performance and clarity standpoint.

Hi eagle,

Guess it’s been mostly in the spitfire (custom mission) and F-18. Also tried the P-51 on the stable release.

I feel like it happens in the main hanger too. Very frustrating.

Cheers Jason

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules