Help ! My KA 50 keeps spinning aaargh

Cionara

So just to clarify: After stabilizing the chopper and pretty much not moving in any direction, having all AP modes turned on and trying to rudder in any direction, it is normal for the heading AP to force me back to where I was pointing my nose at? As well it is normal for the chopper to slowly turn to a random direction if the heading AP is not enabled? Meaning this button has to to be also wanked depending on a situation?

Is there a way to stop the chopper and quickly choose targets, shoot and then switch to a next target in the group from a distance without juggling and wanking buttons and the stick? Not to mention to keep the chopper from breaking apart.

Im making progress, but this is ridiculous. Flying a flanker after this is like taking a bath.

So just to clarify: After stabilizing the chopper and pretty much not moving in any direction, having all AP modes turned on and trying to rudder in any direction, it is normal for the heading AP to force me back to where I was pointing my nose at? .

Not if Route Mode is disengaged and you reset trim after repositioning (or held down trim during repo).

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Guys, why are you ignoring FD AP button? Actually there are 5 buttons, not 4 controlling the AP. With FD AP on you will only get stabilisation without autopilot if only you wound not activate fly plan following on the collective. If you want autopilot to stop holding the direction you should enable FD AP. If you want auto turn to target function to work you need enable FD AP. But if you want autopilot to hold your Velocity, Heading, Height, then you should disable FD AP. Also autohover works only with FD AP switched on.

... If you want auto turn to target function to work you need enable FD AP.... Also autohover works only with FD AP switched on.

Nope, works perfectly fine with FD turned off. I basically never use FD, but often the functions mentioned above.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Ok, week two now I guess. Thank you all for helping. I did read the manual, but could not find the mystical route mode switch. Found it in settings and that its binded to R button, but I cant feel it, see or hear. "Its on the collective". What is the collective? No kidding. Flight stick? where on it? A panel? Which one? Where is that switch or an indicator?

Not if Route Mode is disengaged and you reset trim after repositioning (or held down trim during repo).
Ok! It was about not trimming! Cant see the logic why trimming should be implemented when being still/hover and ruddering with heading AP on. Specially if rudder trimming is disabled by default in settings and as someone just mentioned here its not implemented in real Ka-50 choppers.

So trimming does the job, but as its not a real thing in reality, it seems here is something else going on. Would still like to find the route mode switch and indicator anyway...

Thank you!

Collective: the big handle on your left, on the side of your left thigh. The one generally controlling up/down, but together with the cyclic (the stick between your legs) also speed. Named collective because it alter the angle of all the rotorblades equally much, collectively.

Route mode switch: a three way switch on the right side of the box at the end of the collective. Putting it forward ('D' key I believe) the route mode engages, backwards (don't remember the key) and the desend mode engages. Forward it stay until you disengage, backwards it is spring loaded and need to be held as long as you want it engaged.

Collective brake: on the underside of the collector ('R' key), operated as a motorcycle brake/clutch, but in reverse. Brake disengage when pulled, engage when releasing. It also programs altitude hold AP at release.

The paart of the rudder trim not implemented IRL is the 'return to center'. Heading hold controls the rudder and are programmed by trimming.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

So just to clarify: After stabilizing the chopper and pretty much not moving in any direction, having all AP modes turned on and trying to rudder in any direction, it is normal for the heading AP to force me back to where I was pointing my nose at? As well it is normal for the chopper to slowly turn to a random direction if the heading AP is not enabled? Meaning this button has to to be also wanked depending on a situation?

Is there a way to stop the chopper and quickly choose targets, shoot and then switch to a next target in the group from a distance without juggling and wanking buttons and the stick? Not to mention to keep the chopper from breaking apart.

Im making progress, but this is ridiculous. Flying a flanker after this is like taking a bath.

Yes, the yaw dampener is using up to 20% force to keep your nose pointed where you last trimmed. So you can turn away... but it will want to pull you back. If you want to point your nose somewhere else, hold trim, use your rudder to spin where you want, release trim. (or use turn to target mode, see below)

Yes, its spinning because if the yaw dampener is off, its now putting 0% force into keeping your nose pointed where you last trimmed.

It should normally always stay on.

It wants to help keep you trimmed when it is on which is why its 'forcing you back'. When its off then ALL rudder control is on you which requires lots of tiny manual rudder inputs, which is why you are slowly turning a random direction.

Trimming the rudder manually isnt going to stop that, because then your rudder is just set in one position and is not being stabilized by the AP which can move it automatically up to 20% to adjust for that slow spin perfectly.

In a 'normal' chopper your hands and feet would be constantly moving slightly to keep the plane pointed straight, we have the autopilot to do that for us so we can target tanks and shoot missiles.

You are mostly going to be manually scanning with the Shkval. If you are in a good hover you can just sit there and play with your weapons. You can use Turn to Target mode, it will automatically turn your chopper to where your Shkval is locked, overriding the yaw trim. So you can keep the yaw dampener on and no wanking is required. Once you get it under control its almost too easy.

Route mode is more like a real heading or nav follow function, not just a yaw dampener/stabilizer. A navigation mode.

Its a lot at first but keep at it. The autopilot does seem ridiculous, but once its clicks and you start getting it you will love it.

It will fly itself if you just tell it how.

Edited by canox204

X52

Ok! Now the silent, un-clickable bastard is located and other useful things well understood. Thank you both! Also the trim-while rudder is comprehended and implemented succesfully.

Now I guess its all about practicing stops, fast stabilization and landings. Not having huge problems to keep it going or following a road for example, but stops would be entertaining for someone to watch :D

Try hard turns :joystick: Expect to be athletic on the collective.

Looks like another point im missing is how to keep the fragile drunk Kamov not breaking apart. I cant imagine anything else, except a very delicate precision hard turning master skills and nothing like easy flying everybody is praising this chopper should be :D

Go with the flow and keep in mind your momentum. Its like ice skating mixed with skiing but you can go up too.

Im using 15% curves in my controls for pitch and roll, rudder is 0%. I can be pretty 'athletic' on the stick and not have anything bad happen.

Look at what this plane can do irl, and you can fly it like that in the sim. (you dont even need the nice jazz tune playing)

Edited by canox204

X52

Fly fly & fly !

The idea of ice skating pretty much hits it on the spot and don't forget the mass, it's a few tons you wanna swirl around.

fly fly fly....

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X