Intel or AMD CPU for DCS hyperthreading?

BiBa

I was planning on upgrading to a new PC with the following constellation:

AMD X399 MoBo

M.2 SSD 1TB Drive

16 cores 4.0GHz AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU

GTX1080Ti GPU

4 X 16GB PC-3200 DDR4-RAM

so I started unintentionally a debate between which CPU would be better to the Sim, the Intel 6 cores i7-8700K or AMD 16 cores Ryzen Threadripper, especially when the Motherboard request depends on the CPU! The complexity of the feedback was confusing, especially when an experienced IT claimed that currently or for the foreseeable future, no flight sims use DX12 or Vulkan graphics API. Therefore my thread question; does DCS engine use DX12 for hyperthreading or DX11?

As far as VR/graphics and CPUs depend on, the use of DX11 is a serious reason that single thread performance is so important. Checking the VR benchmark/performance threads in VR section, where it explicitly depicts the benefits of the high-performance single thread, Intel has the lead.

So is it true that the results will never be as good as with Intel CPU, while DX11 relies on a single thread for a lot of info to be fed to the graphics card, regardless of how well the game uses multithreading?

Is threading in DCS 2.5 engine really limited to a specific amount of cores, (how many?) so that the 16 AMD cores become irrelevant?

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

DCS is currently DX11 and uses 1 primary core, with a secondary used for audio. So right now, Intels clock speeds win.

However, ED have stated they intend to move to Vulkan. They may also go multi core with the game engine. So from a future proofing perspective, AMD wins. The issue that we as users have is that we have no idea of timescales.

Being fair to ED, they might not fully understand the complexity themselves, so it would be inappropriate to push for release dates. It’ll happen when it happens.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

DCS is currently DX11 and uses 1 primary core, with a secondary used for audio. So right now, Intels clock speeds win. However, ED have stated they intend to move to Vulkan. They may also go multi core with the game engine. So from a future proofing perspective, AMD wins. The issue that we as users have is that we have no idea of timescales. Being fair to ED, they might not fully understand the complexity themselves, so it would be inappropriate to push for release dates. It’ll happen when it happens.

I cannot afford not to question DCS on how long should I wait with the new PC purchase, so this request goes directly now to the DCS programmers: is DX12 planned soon?

The destiny of my future unborn PC lies in your hands...

Edited by Biba

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

I cannot afford not to question DCS on how long should I wait with the new PC purchase, so this request goes directly now to the DCS programmers: is DX12 planned soon?

I am not sure but I doubt there will be dx12 since Vulkan will replace DirectX completely as I know, beside DX12 proven to be a slightly better only compared to DX11 if there is a difference at all (in practice).

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

DCS is currently DX11 and uses 1 primary core, with a secondary used for audio. So right now, Intels clock speeds win.

However, ED have stated they intend to move to Vulkan. They may also go multi core with the game engine. So from a future proofing perspective, AMD wins. The issue that we as users have is that we have no idea of timescales.

Being fair to ED, they might not fully understand the complexity themselves, so it would be inappropriate to push for release dates. It’ll happen when it happens.

not really..

Multicore can be anywhere as little as two cores.... still leaving another 2-12 ( depending on processor brand and model) extra cores that arent being used anyways.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X/3937vs3916

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3937vs3958

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

look how long it took ED to Upgrade from the older DX9 based 1.x version to 1.5 and Subsequent V2.0 utilizing the new edge Engine with DX11.

given the merge of caucauses and other maps ( 2.5 stable) is still a very recent relese all things considered i wouldnt hold my breath on yet another massive engine overhaul or move to "vulkan" for at least 5 years

AS for your pc purchase you have your answer. INtel is superior in its single core prosseing power. However ultiamtely id say go for which ever processor and related motherboard are priced better. ( if its singificant enough of a saving)

It depends what hardware your coming from, and how long you can wait untill your next upgrade with your current hardware. intel core i7 9th generation is not that far off, and it remains to be seen how well next generation will compare with AMD recent Ryzen Gen 2 series ( 2600, 2700, 2700X)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

look how long it took ED to Upgrade from the older 1.x version to 1.5 and Subsequent V2.0 utilizing the new edge Engine with DX11.

given the merge of caucauses and other maps ( 2.5 stable) is still a very recent relese all things considered i wouldnt hold my on yet another massive engine overhaul or move to "vulkan" for at least 5 years

AS for your pc purchase you have your answer. INtel is superior in its single core prosseing power. However ultiamtely id say go for which ever processor and related motherboard are priced better. ( if its singificant enough of a saving)

It depends what hardware your coming from, and how long you can wait untill your next upgrade with your current hardware. intel core i7 9th generation is not that far off, and it remains to be seen how well next generation will compare with AMD recent Ryzen Gen 2 series ( 2600, 2700, 2700X)

Intel is indeed the winner!

I even got advice from the PC Shop, that for Gamers / Simmers Intel is the better choice, even though the whole PC constellation change meant for them around 700€ less investment.

Yet the idea that all 32 hyperthreading of the Ryzen TR 1950X can be set in the simulation/game in the near future, means that the engine can deal easily with double amount of AI in the sky.

Until then, it will remain a beautiful dream of that pie up high in the sky...

The intel 8700K is properbly one of the best gaming cpu's you can get.

It have a boost up to 4700mhz 6 cores / 12 threats.

You cant go wrong with that cpu.

https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_70-GHz

Personaly i have the amd ryzen 1800x overclocked to 3800mhz and turbo is above 4300mhz. ( actual i did not notise )

it have 8 cores / 16 threats

There are newer ryzen cpu's that run faster than my chip out of the box, but i just overlocked/tuned mine and then its just as fast.

I can easy run dcs with VR and most things on max, and stream to witch, and talk via discord and many other things at the same time without any issues.

When i dont use Vr i can run dcs on max resolution and quality without any issues at all.. it run like a dream.

( my ram 3200mhz 16gb )

nvidia 1080 gtx.. ( tip upgrade firmware and it will run faster in vr ).

PS.. ryzen threadripper are a waste of money for gaming... read some reviews about it to learn more

PPS... most games are actual still designed to run with quad core cpu's.. You see when someone design a game they design it so everyone with an ordinary average pc can play it well.

Edited by delevero