Steam vs Stand Alone questions

Dkraver

Hi

It was just put to my attention that items bought on either dcs e-shop or steam wont work on the other install. I read that the problem was with steam vs starforce keys. But what will this do for future gameplay. I myself have most of my games via steam and also DCS. But now, while i was thinking about buying more modules (only got fc3 and a-10c) im confused about where to buy my modules. Does the game have a future on steam or?? What to do??

Old steam key versions will still be viable to be used with the standalone, only newly purchased modules are locked.

I would recommend switching to the standalone, it doesn´t give valve a 30% cut so more revenue to the dev that made the module aswell, usually better sales, bonus points, and earlier access (if desired) to new modules or beta and alpha clients.

So you can still switch without losing anything.

But you can stay on steam if you want, I just think it doesn´t add anything useful to DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Just that all my games are on Steam, that Steam give better support, that all my friends are in steam, that steam servers are better for the update and that I know the game thanks to Steam otherwise I would never have bought the game. Are you still sure that Steam doesn't add anything?

• 5 months later...

Sorry to re-open this very old thread, but aren't the dcs standalone modules a lot cheaper? I mean, there are often (allmost weekly) very nice sales on the ED website, where as Steam is asking the full price for all modules as far as I can see (or am I mistaking?)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

It depends, you do get some really good bargains on Steam from time to time, and often at different times than the ED shop, you just have to look keep a look out for the Steam sales. I've certainly had some DCS goodies from Steam in the past.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

So what are the actual differences between steam and standalone install ? what is the best.

I tried to find an answer to that same question. So far, according what I found on several forums, most people prefer the standalone version (most used reasons: earlier module access and less hassle)

The fact that standalone isn't compatible with Steam (so I read), while Steam is compatible with standalone, doesn't seem to bother most users and they still prefer standalone.

(Myself, I think I'll stick to standalone because I want as little as possible applications running in the background when running DCS World)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I tried to find an answer to that same question. So far, according what I found on several forums, most people prefer the standalone version (most used reasons: earlier module access and less hassle)

The fact that standalone isn't compatible with Steam (so I read), while Steam is compatible with standalone, doesn't seem to bother most users and they still prefer standalone.

(Myself, I think I'll stick to standalone because I want as little as possible applications running in the background when running DCS World)

Yeh, think i am going to stick with standalone it looks like, thx

• 3 months later...

Pardon my ignorance but do you have issues with applications running in the background? I do not have issues or lag and I run Steam, Origin, Uplay while playing any game. no lag.

Cooler Master - HAFXB|i7-6850K (Stock) @ 3.6GHz|ASUS X99 Deluxe II|Corsair H80i v2|32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz (2x16GB)|(C:\) Samsung 950 PRO N-NAND M.2 SSD 512GB - (D:\)MTF -(E:\) MTF|EVGA GTX 1080 Superclocked 8GB-GDDR5X - 3x BenQ 24"|SoundBlaster ZX – Logitech z906 5.1|Logitech G910 Orion Spark/G502 ProteusSpectrum/G440 Pad|TM AfterburnerHOTAS (Silver) – TM Warthog – Saitek Pro Flight Peddles/Flight Yoke System & TQ|HTC Vive FCV|TrackIR 4|GTR Simulation platform|Win10Pro64Bit

• 3 weeks later...

Steam vs Stand Alone questions

I do not have issues or lag and I run Steam, Origin, Uplay while playing any game. no lag.

agreed. steam does not cause performance problems.

if it did, you would have literally, millions of players affected.