why f16 does not have a fuel dump switch

dave76

Simply put, because it's ground based. If an aircraft can land safely with full tanks in case of an emergency just after takeoff, then fuel dumping is not necessary.

When landing on a carrier the aircraft have very strict weight limits. They can usually take off with much higher weight than they can land back on the deck.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The absence of fuel dumping functions is actually pretty common for ground based fighter jets AFAIK.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Since the weight limit is 48000lbs for taxi, takeoff, inflight and landing, there's no need to reduce the weight before a re-landing.

Landing roll at 48000lbs is less than 7000ft at ISA conditions and SL and matches exactly the brake energy limit for a short field landing.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

The question was, why you can't dump fuel in an emergency, not how to rectify the problem.

Let's assume that extending the gear with the alt gear extension works, but you are now experiencing severe airframe vibrations at low speed.

Still going to dump fuel with burner and boards?

The question was, why you can't dump fuel in an emergency, not how to rectify the problem.

Let's assume that extending the gear with the alt gear extension works, but you are now experiencing severe airframe vibrations at low speed.

Pretty sure that your wingman would warn you if anything's amiss, plus there's always the option to either punch off the stores and thus drop weight, or to punch out if the problem develops into uncontrollability.

Either way, once the stores are off there really shouldn't be a need to dump fuel before landing.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Severe airframe vibrations? That's a new one on me (sounds very T-38ish though). Man, this jet must've been a hangar queen. :lol:

If I have to reduce gross weight prior to landing, there is nothing wrong with using burner and boards. Just keep the airspeed below 300 KCAS with the gear (any of them) down.

Hey Man, if Mover is the person I believe who he is. Than you can trust his words, because he has flown the F-16

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. Severe airframe vibrations? That's a new one on me...

2. If I have to reduce gross weight prior to landing, there is nothing wrong with using burner and boards. Just keep the airspeed below 300 KCAS with the gear (any of them) down.

1. That's the problem with emergencies. They tend to surprise pilots with something that's new to them ;)

2. Thanx for the info :)

Even aircraft WITH fuel dump have to use alternate methods of reducing weight when "adjusting Gross weight" isn't allowed.

Flew a mission in the KC-135R one morning that was supposed to go WAAAAAAY up north over Canada and refuel a B-52. About an hour before AR, the BUFF cancelled...leaving us ohhhhhhh about 50 THOUSAND pounds over our max landing weight when we got home. Since it wasn't an emergency...we couldn't just dump the gas. We ended up descending to 10,000 feet and flying home gear down and flaps 30 just to keep the fuel burn up where it needed to be so we'd be able to land when we got back to great falls. Sometime those CFM-56 engines were a curse.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Even aircraft WITH fuel dump have to use alternate methods of reducing weight when "adjusting Gross weight" isn't allowed.

Flew a mission in the KC-135R one morning that was supposed to go WAAAAAAY up north over Canada and refuel a B-52. About an hour before AR, the BUFF cancelled...leaving us ohhhhhhh about 50 THOUSAND pounds over our max landing weight when we got home. Since it wasn't an emergency...we couldn't just dump the gas. We ended up descending to 10,000 feet and flying home gear down and flaps 30 just to keep the fuel burn up where it needed to be so we'd be able to land when we got back to great falls. Sometime those CFM-56 engines were a curse.

Oh that is hilarious... :megalol:

Evan "Preacher" Weeks - Dad. Programmer. Virtual Fighter Pilot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An RDAF F-16 had a gearretraction failure on takeoff some time ago, cant rememebr when.

RDAF considered a emergency landing foaming the runway, but they rejected it as too dangerous and risky for the pilot.

He was then ordered out over the North Sea, while they considered every scenario, even calling the manufacturers "customer service" while he was burning off fuel out there.

They could not give any useable advice, so they ran the bird os low on fuel as possible, then he ejected.

I believe the RDAF published an interview with the pilot on Youtube.

So somewhere, out there, on the oceanfloor, is a sad and lonely RDAF F-16...

RIP

o7

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

An RDAF F-16 had a gearretraction failure on takeoff some time ago, cant rememebr when.

RDAF considered a emergency landing foaming the runway, but they rejected it as too dangerous and risky for the pilot.

He was then ordered out over the North Sea, while they considered every scenario, even calling the manufacturers "customer service" while he was burning off fuel out there.

They could not give any useable advice, so they ran the bird os low on fuel as possible, then he ejected.

I believe the RDAF published an interview with the pilot on Youtube.

So somewhere, out there, on the oceanfloor, is a sad and lonely RDAF F-16...

RIP

o7

I posted that video in the video section :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I posted that video in the video section :)

Thank you :thumbup:

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

Never understood how that RDAF-mishap actually happened. I mean, from what I could see from the imagery, it looked like the entire drag-brace had broken off the bulkhead it was connected to.

Even for old jets like the ones that the RDAF and RNoAF has, that really shouldn't be something that happens, let alone go unnoticed through preflight and/or maint'.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.