Mirage 2000-5 vs F-16 Block 52+ Viper

Gregkar

Greece has already signed for upgrading their F-16's Block 52+ Adv. to Viper, but there are some military voices that insist that they should also get more Mirages 2000-5 offered by France cause they are superior to the F-16s specifically over the Aegean sea area. But why? what make the Mirage so special?

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greece has already signed for upgrading their F-16's Block 52+ Adv. to Viper, but there are some military voices that insist that they should also get more Mirages 2000-5 offered by France cause they are superior to the F-16s specifically over the Aegean sea area. But why? what make the Mirage so special?

Might be nothing to do with aircraft. Could be the the cost to service, fuel or just the size of the bribe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Fuel quantities would make sense given that the HAF needs to reach Cyprus and loiter there, but it's weirdto me that any M2k without CFTs could match a Viper with the CFTs.

Also the M2k has been used lots by plenty of nations in actual combat, from France to India. It's every bit as combat-proven as the Viper.

The F-16 in general is a proven weapons platform, I'm just guessing as to why the Greeks would want more Mirage 2000 aircraft.

Traditionally, the Greeks have used a Mirage in one shape or another. Mostly in the anti shipping role.

Given the fact that the Turks have lit a fuse by signing the Libyan - Turkish agreement to exploit the various reserves of Hydrocarbons in the med, the Greek/ Cyprus policy makers are looking at the prospect of a big naval engagement.

The infrastructure for a larger Mirage 2000 fleet is already in place, as opposed to buying F-16's which require either buying stocks of Harpoons, or be stuck with a lengthy intregration process.

Mirage 2000-5Mk.2 is a strategic capability platform for Hellenic Air Force. Due to SCALP-EG ... which is classified as sub-strategic ground aircraft, with a nominal radius of 250 km

The Mirage 2000-5Mk.2 is by far the most advanced air-to-air platform in the Hellenic Air Force. With capabilities that are not even intellectually present in any other type of fighter. The RDY-2 radar that "wears" the fighter, in addition to its larger target-beam radius than the Block 52+ APG-68 (V) 9, can detect and track up to 24 flying targets independently of their flight level! Of these, RDY-2 can automatically "blush", classify eight as the most dangerous and automatically encapsulate up to four. Against them it can launch a cobblestone (with a split time per missile) of MICA EM and IR numbers

The big trump of the RDY-2 in air-to-air engagements beyond the optical horizon (BVR), of course, is not only the automatic trapping of not one but four targets at a time. It's a risk assessment of the target ... If, for example, the system detects two targets, one that flies 20 miles at a speed of 300 knots and a cruise altitude of 5,000 feet and one that flies 40 miles at a speed of 400 knots. and at a height of 30,000 feet, it WILL NOT be the first to shoot the one closest! He will choose the one best suited (envelope as it is called in aviation) to launch a BVR rocket. That is, he will choose the one who has the MOST MOBILE ENERGY. The one who flies faster at higher altitudes and is therefore able to fire his weapons giving them clearly better kinematic performance!

It's something that everybody in the Greek F-16's flying freely admits. Even when many years ago the Greek Mirage 2000EGs had not yet been fitted with the mid-range R-530D, the dissimilar "blinds" the F-16's radars until they came into contact and virtually launched Magic II Even today all Greek flying fighters confirm that the RWR of the old ICMS 2000Mk.1 is better than the ASPIS II… For the newer ICMS 2000Mk.3 no reason to do so!

Asus Prime Z-370-A

Intel core I7-8700K 3.70Ghz

Ram g.skill f4-3200c16d 32gb

Evga rtx 2070

Ssd samgung 960 evo m.2 500gb

Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944

Combined Arms

A-10C, Mirage-2000C, F-16C, FC3

Spitfire LF Mk. IX

UH-1H, Gazelle

Mirage 2000-5Mk.2 is a strategic capability platform for Hellenic Air Force. Due to SCALP-EG ... which is classified as sub-strategic ground aircraft, with a nominal radius of 250 km

The Mirage 2000-5Mk.2 is by far the most advanced air-to-air platform in the Hellenic Air Force. With capabilities that are not even intellectually present in any other type of fighter. The RDY-2 radar that "wears" the fighter, in addition to its larger target-beam radius than the Block 52+ APG-68 (V) 9, can detect and track up to 24 flying targets independently of their flight level! Of these, RDY-2 can automatically "blush", classify eight as the most dangerous and automatically encapsulate up to four. Against them it can launch a cobblestone (with a split time per missile) of MICA EM and IR numbers

The big trump of the RDY-2 in air-to-air engagements beyond the optical horizon (BVR), of course, is not only the automatic trapping of not one but four targets at a time. It's a risk assessment of the target ... If, for example, the system detects two targets, one that flies 20 miles at a speed of 300 knots and a cruise altitude of 5,000 feet and one that flies 40 miles at a speed of 400 knots. and at a height of 30,000 feet, it WILL NOT be the first to shoot the one closest! He will choose the one best suited (envelope as it is called in aviation) to launch a BVR rocket. That is, he will choose the one who has the MOST MOBILE ENERGY. The one who flies faster at higher altitudes and is therefore able to fire his weapons giving them clearly better kinematic performance!

It's something that everybody in the Greek F-16's flying freely admits. Even when many years ago the Greek Mirage 2000EGs had not yet been fitted with the mid-range R-530D, the dissimilar "blinds" the F-16's radars until they came into contact and virtually launched Magic II Even today all Greek flying fighters confirm that the RWR of the old ICMS 2000Mk.1 is better than the ASPIS II… For the newer ICMS 2000Mk.3 no reason to do so!

Yeah that explains why! Thank you!

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am not a pilot, I have read this from some Greek defense magazine and have just translated it

But I think that's the way things are. The Mirage (and the f-16) are valuable to the Hellenic Air Force

Every fighter aircraft has advantages and disadvantages...

Asus Prime Z-370-A

Evga rtx 2070

Combined Arms

Spitfire LF Mk. IX

UH-1H, Gazelle

We need a 2000-5 in DCS!

I totally agree

Asus Prime Z-370-A

Evga rtx 2070

Combined Arms

Spitfire LF Mk. IX

UH-1H, Gazelle

For what it worth, I think both Mirage 2000 and F-16 are combat proven fighters and plenty capable.

The reasons why Greek keep both fleet:

- Turkey has F-16 too and knows it very well. Mirage 2000 with ECM and missiles must have some tricks Turkey don't know about.

- France provided to Greece some key weapons that USA probably didn't want to provide to keep good relationship with Turkey (AM39 and SCALP/ STORM SHADOW) .

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

• 5 months later...

The 2000-5/Mk2 series has a trick up its sleeve since the introduction of the MICA, since they can fire them in TWS (Track-While-Scan) mode, their firing is completely undetectable at longer range by the target since they are not locked-on.

The target will only know it is targeted if; 1) the Mirage lock-s on for mid-course guidance or 2) it acquires the MICA electronically (pretty unlikely but possible) or visually.

During the first sorties of the Mirage 2000-5 in exercises with other NATO Air Forces, the pilots of the Escadron de chasse 1/2 Cigognes decimated raids of Tornados and F-16 in BVR while their pilots had no idea they've been shot.

Notably, the version of the MICA used (simulated) was the EM, as the IR variant wasn't yet in operation with the AdlA, the "stealth" firing of the MICA by the 2000-5/Mk 2 can be even more difficult to counter when both variant are used.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.