Caucus - Cold and Dark

Maybe you would like to test your pit using my version of the cold start training mission, where I strived to follow a realistic procedure :)

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310191/

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Maybe you would like to test your pit using my version of the cold start training mission, where I strived to follow a realistic procedure :)

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310191/

Thanks I will give it a go.

It was helpful that I already knew the generators needed to be activated. Hopefully pointing these issues out will help ED improve the lessons for new simmers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to say the the need to turn L/R GEN on is a function of the fact that you are using a pit with hardware switches. I use cold and dark start all the time and have never had to touch the GEN switches in the F-18 (in A-10 you do). This is similar to the fact that I have a switch on my throttle for the launch bar. If I don't physically switch it back to the retracted position, after launch and gear up the LBAR light stays on red. If you don't have a physical switch it will automatically retract on gear up if you've forgotten to retract it and you don't get the LBAR light staying on. This is apparently correct RL behaviour (I presume it would be a magnetically held switch like the APU or something), but since the sim can't physically move the switch on my throttle, it doesn't work if I forget to retract.

So really, for the vast majority of cases (i.e. anyone without a pit) the training isn't missing anything.

Gee, thanks for stopping by....

Generator switches ARE set during a cold start in the NATOPS procedure.

If your satisfied with a gamer level work around and using failsafes for poor form....More power to you.

It doesn't make the bug report wrong.

In that case, your bug report should be that you "DON'T NEED TO SET GEN SWITCHES ON AND YOU SHOULD HAVE TO". The training mission reflects the current reality in DCS. I pretty much always cold start, and I NEVER touch the gen switches because I don't need to and my DDI's start up no problem after I turn them on. I was speculating why this might not be the case for you based on my experience with other switches. No idea why you think I'm using "...failsafes for poor form" (not using any that I'm aware of). I've very happy with how I use DCS, thanks.

Generator switches ARE set during a cold start in the NATOPS procedure.

Not in the copy I'm reading they're not. They're set to NORM even before the first step of the engine start.. as part of the Interior CHECK.

You're never told to touch them after engine start, and they are not mentioned again, even during shutdown.

Thus, following NATOPS (and DCS has the switches set to NORM on a cold start), those switches should still be in NORM even after the airplane is completely shut done (I.E. they are checked but never moved).

Caucus - Cold and Dark

Not in the copy I'm reading they're not. They're set to NORM even before the first step of the engine start.. as part of the Interior CHECK.

You're never told to touch them after engine start, and they are not mentioned again, even during shutdown.

Thus, following NATOPS (and DCS has the switches set to NORM on a cold start), those switches should still be in NORM even after the airplane is completely shut done (I.E. they are checked but never moved).

The cockpit checklist is part of the cold and dark process.