Questions about SLAM

Theranthil

Hello,

I run into some troubles with the SLAM :

With a simple mission (F18 airborne, 1 wp with a harbour and some boat, full slam load).

I set all missiles to TOO with Efuz and flight path setting.

I align the slam, select the right missile for datalink, designate the waypoint and launch. The missile perfoms flawlessly.

Question 1 : Is there a way to display the video feed without unboxing slam ? Unboxing/boxing forces a full alignment process again, delaying the second missile launch.

Without changing the target (still the same wp designated), I launch a second missile. The missile will fly overhead the target and won't dive.

Question 2 : What am I missing this time ?

In the flight path, the missile descends to 5000 ft about 10 miles from the target then stabilize and dive a few miles from the target.

Question 3 : is there a way to have a longer time for more time with a proper feed to align the missile ? During the level flight at 5k, the camera angle doesn't allow to see the target area.

Thanks for the help.

1. The video feed will show up automatically if you have the pod selected, you don't need to unbox the SLAM.

2. If you launched two missiles with the exact same parameters, they both should fly in a similar way. If the second missile never dives towards the designated target, that's likely a bug.

2b. Go in the SLAM Display page and make sure that the coordinates are exactly the same for both missiles.

3. You can define the distance from target that the seeker turns on, giving you more seeker time, if you need it. But the seeker is fixed to the boresight of the missile, so if you command the seeker to look down, for example, the entire missile will pitch down.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 1 month later...

Yeah, for either antenna, I'd say that 30 NM is the limit at which the seeker becomes kinda unusable, at least for me.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

i have the same problem with not diving SLAMs as OP.

even when i don't change the target (e.g. a WPDSG) an when all other parameters are the same by using active pause, 1 to 2 out of 4 SLAM's head towards the target heading but then stay at altitude and don't dive.

i thought it was an error of the INS that shows alligned but isn't. Therefor i shot all SLAMS without(!) alignement and apart from some meters going off the target (and could easily be slewed in by DL) everything else stays the same. 1 to 2 out of 4 SLAMs turn towards the target heading but don't dive into it (don't dive at all).

btw. i don't touch the TDC or the SCS. DL image comes automatically. i select TOO for all 4 SLAMs right at the start. i get the correct DL-TV-image. i don't change anything apart from the fuse. i'm in good range (17nm) at 350kn at 18k ft.

what strikes me is, even the non-diving SLAMs turn towards the target heading.

EDIT: have a track attached (PG map). was easy to reproduce because almost never all 4 SLAMs dive. the 2nd SLAM did not dive. all 3 others did.

(btw. this works without active pause and with heading directly to the target the same way.)

FA-18C PG SLAM test non-diver.trk

Edited by Tom Kazansky

• 8 months later...

I am noticing the missiles will not dive also, at least not until well past the target even when I have put in a dive angle (though I am not sure if the dive angle thing is working correctly at this time)

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

8 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

I am noticing the missiles will not dive also, at least not until well past the target even when I have put in a dive angle (though I am not sure if the dive angle thing is working correctly at this time)

The 'TERM'  (Terminal) parameters for the SLAM should not be there. It's a holdover from ED's JDAM implementation, where they've just rushed and reused the same PP page from the JDAM. Impact azimuth, angle and velocity bear no relation to how a SLAM works. They need to be removed. Maybe SLAM-ER has some azimuth settings though. 

There should be a SLAM-Turn-Point I think, similar to Harpoon, but that doesn't appear to work.

• Like 1

Wags has just put up a video on the SLAM-ER today, it looks pretty good. Regarding the JDAM, maybe it's relevant to that but it looks to me as though that is still not implemented on JDAM either, I could be worng.

Edited by Willie Nelson

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.