F-15C HUD font doesn't zoom w TrackIR

Zabuzard

As said when i zoom with trackir (head forward) the HUD font keeps small instead of getting bigger like un the russian ACs. I did some research but mapping the 'zoom' axis instead of the 'move head forward' axis to track ir doesnt feels realistic and feels unconfortable. I dunno why the hud isnt zooming with the head moving forward like the russian ACs...

Tested in only on version 1.2.7. Atm

Read there are similiar issues with A-10C for some guys and theres a hud font mod for that.

I think you are talking about moving your head forward, not zoom in. If that's the case the font should stay the same size as it's focused to infinity (as you lean forward to get close to HUD and it fills more of your FoV but the text in it is infinitely far away and you can't get close to it so it always fills same FoV)

No longer active in DCS...

I think you are talking about moving your head forward, not zoom in. If that's the case the font should stay the same size as it's focused to infinity (as you lean forward to get close to HUD and it fills more of your FoV but the text in it is infinitely far away and you can't get close to it so it always fills same FoV)

I think now the default move forward of TrackIR is mapped to zoom in (for su25/T, 27,33, 15C)

I just checked it in 1.2.8 OB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

I think now the default move forward of TrackIR is mapped to zoom in (for su25/T, 27,33, 15C)

I just checked it in 1.2.8 OB

Yes. The default TIR lua has the Z axis set to zoom for all FC3 aircraft. Oddly enough, the default 'headtracker' lua is set for normal Z axis translation.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Okay then it's a feature and not a bug.

Its just so that i have trouble reading the little font of the f-15C hud.

As i mapped the zoom axis to track ir it felt strange because it zoomed and not moved the head forward.

Id like to try to combine the 2 axis to one, is that possible?

Its just because i dont have such issues on the russian ACs maybe the hud there isnt focused at infinity because the pilot moves his head forward but the hud is getting bigger too.

It would be awesome if theres a solution for me because thats the main reason why i dont like to fly the f15c

FoV for F15 defaults to 140 degrees. Most Russian aircraft default to 120 degrees. Basically, you are flying a little bit more "zoomed in" in Russian planes than in F15 by default. It not only makes it harder to read the HUD in F15, but also screws your ability to judge distance and speeds when you hop from Russian planes to F15 and vice versa.

You can create consistency by tweaking zoom axis for each aircraft separately (if you use joystick axis for zoom) or by editing lua file for snap views. TrackIR is better to be left for controlling head movement and not zoom.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

If you're using a Cougar/Warthog or CH Fighterstick, use the second 4-way at the top of the grip for view management (zoom/snaps); the real jet doesn't have one, and so it's a perfect place to put functions that'd not actually be there (ergo, for moving your head around).

Mh ill try that but im a bit of dissapointed that there seems no way in editting the f15 so the hud acts the same like the russians. Maybe i only remember it false but there i could zoom in the hud by moving head forward. Like if one wants to read a gauge bettet by moving closer :)

I'm also having quite the problems reading the HUD of the F15

Not only don't you zoom in whem moving forward, the colors of the HUD are not bright enough, and the light behind the HUD is too bright .

So i just have to use actual "zoom" on my throttle to look at it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mh ill try that but im a bit of dissapointed that there seems no way in editting the f15 so the hud acts the same like the russians. Maybe i only remember it false but there i could zoom in the hud by moving head forward. Like if one wants to read a gauge bettet by moving closer :)

It acts the same way as Russian HUDs. They all have collimator and focus image at infinity. It means that reading the HUD is not like reading a poster 30cm away from you, it is like reading a large banner many meters away. If you move your head 30cm or even a meter towards the banner, it won't look larger, because it is still relatively far.

In summary: HUD is not like a gauge, you can't lean to it and get smaller details appear larger. If text is too small while leaned back, it will be small even if you glue your nose to combiner glass. If you want things to be larger (easier to read), you have to change Field of View (zoom in), and not the head position.

Edited by ZaltysZ

Not only don't you zoom in whem moving forward, the colors of the HUD are not bright enough, and the light behind the HUD is too bright .

TrackIR Z axis can be assigned to head movement (default for 6DOF cockpits like F15, A10 and etc) or to zoom control (used to be default for all FC planes, because there wasn't possible to lean in non 6DOF cockpit). If you want zooming in while leaning, reassign TrackIR Z axis in control configuration window.

• 2 weeks later...