Module manager not showing recent BS2 purchase

Gpruitt54

I have been unable to install upgrades to BS2. The module manager says I must install BS1. I did not want to install a very out of date software version. Doing so has not helped.

I removed the Ka-50 folder from the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft". Next, I bought what I thought was a full working version of BS2 from the Eagle Dynamics website. However, after removing the folders, BS2 is not in the module manager. I still see the request to install BS1.

In my profile I have two serial numbers for BS2. Looks like I threw away 30+ dollars downloading a module that I already had and BS2 is nether installed and is still asking for BS1. WTF!

Any idea what the heck is happening???

I have been unable to install upgrades to BS2. The module manager says I must install BS1. I did not want to install a very out of date software version. Doing so has not helped.

Any idea what the heck is happening???

Whilst I can't help you here to much, I would check that both BS2 keys are linked to the same account in you profile on ED site, note the key number for the full version. Then do a repair on your copy of DCS and try the module manager again to see if you can install the full version of DCS using the appropriate key number, btw even when you do get it going, it may still try and ask to get your upgrade version of BS2 installed also, it use to with me, but they may have fixed that now.

You may have to submit a ticket to ED support:

1. To deactivate the upgrade version of BS2 from your account (some others have done this in past) and to make sure the new full version of BS2 is linked to your account.
  2. Did you purchase both BS2 keys with the same online account ??

Cheers, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

• ED Team

If you dont want the BS2 upgrade to show you need to remove it from your account

contact support https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Whilst I can't help you here to much, I would check that both BS2 keys are linked to the same account in you profile on ED site, note the key number for the full version. Then do a repair on your copy of DCS and try the module manager again to see if you can install the full version of DCS using the appropriate key number, btw even when you do get it going, it may still try and ask to get your upgrade version of BS2 installed also, it use to with me, but they may have fixed that now.

You may have to submit a ticket to ED support:

1. To deactivate the upgrade version of BS2 from your account (some others have done this in past) and to make sure the new full version of BS2 is linked to your account.
  2. Did you purchase both BS2 keys with the same online account ??

Cheers, Ian.

In the recommendations you provided, are we talking about DCS World 1.5 and/or 2.0?

Yes, I believe I bought both keys from ED. Certainly the most recent one.

Edited by Gpruitt54

In the recommendations you provided, are we talking about DCS World 1.5 and/or 2.0?

Most definitely yes, will also add a disclaimer I am not responsible for any issues you may face by following these instructions as I haven't needed to use these functions so I don't know what pitfalls they may have.

When you login to the ED profile page, in the license check section down left hand side, input your BS2 upgrade key number and press check button, it will then show who's account it is bound to, you also have an unbind key to unlink that module from the current user, doing this will deactivate that module totally from you account, you don't lose ownership of it, it is just rendered inert.

The part I am not sure about is whether:

1. You can re-link it again to your account if you want to use it at a later stage.
  2. You can re-link to another account that you may own.
  3. You can't link it to another users account, but if you don't want to ever use the BS2 upgrade module again, you can donate the key to another account holder relink wishing all ownship for that module to them once they link it to their account.

Now do a license check for the BS2 full version modules key number and make sure it bound to your current Username you use for DCS login.

Once all that is checked, you should be able to run any DCS v1.5.7 or v2.11 versions and add the BS2 full version module through the inbuilt module manager or the command line installer.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Most definitely yes, will also add a disclaimer I am not responsible for any issues you may face by following these instructions as I haven't needed to use these functions so I don't know what pitfalls they may have.

When you login to the ED profile page, in the license check section down left hand side, input your BS2 upgrade key number and press check button, it will then show who's account it is bound to, you also have an unbind key to unlink that module from the current user, doing this will deactivate that module totally from you account, you don't lose ownership of it, it is just rendered inert.

The part I am not sure about is whether:

1. You can re-link it again to your account if you want to use it at a later stage.
  2. You can re-link to another account that you may own.
  3. You can't link it to another users account, but if you don't want to ever use the BS2 upgrade module again, you can donate the key to another account holder relink wishing all ownship for that module to them once they link it to their account.

Now do a license check for the BS2 full version modules key number and make sure it bound to your current Username you use for DCS login.

Once all that is checked, you should be able to run any DCS v1.5.7 or v2.11 versions and add the BS2 full version module through the inbuilt module manager or the command line installer.

Regards, Ian.

I did the license check (a great resource BTY) and both the upgrade license and the full version are both registered to my account. However, in the module manager in DCS World 2.0 there are two serial numbers listed in the serial number pull-down menu for BS2. One of those serial numbers are for the recently downloaded Full version of BS2. But, the second serial number is not recognized at all. The second serial number shown in the module manager is not from the upgrade version.

When I tried to unbind the upgrade serial number, I received a message saying that "One or more parameters are invalid". So, I could not unbind the upgrade version.

I understand that you are not responsible. However, thanks for your recommendations thus far.

Edited by Gpruitt54

I did the license check (a great resource BTY) and both the upgrade license and the full version are both registered to my account.

You recommend that I unbind the upgrade license, right?

I understand that you are not responsible. However, thanks for your recommendations thus far.

Yes, once it is deactivated, you will never be asked to install it when firing up DCS. So if the BS2 upgrade is deactivated, then the only option for DCS is to ask for you to install the BS2 full version.

DCS Tech Support.

Yes, once it is deactivated, you will never be asked to install it when firing up DCS. So if the BS2 upgrade is deactivated, then the only option for DCS is to ask for you to install the BS2 full version.

So then, if I highlight the unrecognized serial number under BS2 and select deactivate with the DRM button, that will only deactivate the selected serial number and not the entire module. Is that correct?

So then, if I highlight the unrecognized serial number under BS2 and select deactivate with the DRM button, that will only deactivate the selected serial number and not the entire module. Is that correct?

Any deactivation in the DCS module manager, just stops the game from using it or you playing it, it leaves the module installed, but not usable, yes that is correct.

To remove module totally from the DCS install after deactivating with DRM button, use the trashcan to right of it.

Also don't confuse deactivating module at the User account level, with deactivating the modules serial number in the DCS module manager for purposes of hardware changes, etc.

Edited by MadDog-IC

DCS Tech Support.

Any deactivation in the DCS module manager, just stops the game from using it or you playing it, it leaves the module installed, but not usable, yes that is correct.

To remove module totally from the DCS install after deactivating with DRM button, use the trashcan to right of it.

Also don't confuse deactivating module at the User account level, with deactivating the modules serial number in the DCS module manager for purposes of hardware changes, etc.

Something is seriously wrong. The last time I tried to resolve this was in 2011 and it seems that there is still no solution. Here is what is happening.

I opened DCS World 1.5.

I used the module manager trash can button to completely remove BS2.

When restarting DCS World, the module manager if I wanted to install BD2 as well as to upgrade from BS1 to BS2.

If I just completely removed BS2, how how is the module manager asking me to install BS2 as well as upgrade from BS1 to BS2?

Something is seriously wrong. The last time I tried to resolve this was in 2011 and it seems that there is still no solution. Here is what is happening.

I opened DCS World 1.5.

I used the module manager trash can button to completely remove BS2.

When restarting DCS World, the module manager if I wanted to install BD2 as well as to upgrade from BS1 to BS2.

If I just completely removed BS2, how how is the module manager asking me to install BS2 as well as upgrade from BS1 to BS2?

Because the BS update is still linked to your online account back at Eagle Dynamics website, so long as any module is linked to your account it will always ask to be installed when you fire up DCS (hence why asked you to unbind BS2 upgrade from your online account - if you can't do it, then you put a support ticket into ED for them to do it for you).

Just install with module manager - BS2 full version and ignore anything to do with BS upgrade, untick it from the modules you wish to install.

DCS Tech Support.

However, in the module manager in DCS World 2.0 there are two serial numbers listed in the serial number pull-down menu for BS2.

One of those serial numbers are for the recently downloaded Full version of BS2. But, the second serial number is not recognized at all. The second serial number shown in the module manager is not from the upgrade version.

When I tried to unbind the upgrade serial number, I received a message saying that "One or more parameters are invalid". So, I could not unbind the upgrade version.

Ok so we have a separate issue in DCS 2.0 then.

I would suggest that:

1. Using the DCS 2.0 module manager, deactivate and uninstall and delete all copies of BS2 that you can, including full version and update version, don't worry about the ones that you can't.
  2. With DCS 2.0 shutdown, using a file manager go to the DCS 2.0 game directory for the Ka-50 module and delete the Ka-50 directory if it still exists (This is to make sure all Ka-50 files are actually gone).
  3. example path to Game: C:\Program Files\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Ka-50\
  4. Now run a DCS v2.0 repair function from the windows start bar or command line.
  5. After all that, fire up DCS v2.0 and run module manager and see if you still have any corruption and or if it now gives you the correct install dialog for both the BS2 upgrade and BS2 Full versions, if so install the BS2 full version by leaving it ticked, and untick the BS2 upgrade so it is not installed.
  6. If still getting issues, uploading a dcs.log file might be handy to figure out issue: c:\Users\YourUsername\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Logs\dcs.log

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC

DCS Tech Support.

I would suggest that:

1. Using the DCS 2.0 module manager, deactivate and uninstall and delete all copies of BS2 that you can, including full version and update version, don't worry about the ones that you can't.
  2. With DCS 2.0 shutdown, using a file manager go to the DCS 2.0 game directory for the Ka-50 module and delete the Ka-50 directory if it still exists (This is to make sure all Ka-50 files are actually gone).
  3. example path to Game: ..\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Ka-50\
  4. Now run a DCS v2.0 repair function.
  5. After all that, fire up DCS v2.0 and run module manager and see if you still have any corruption and or if it now gives you the correct install dialog for both the BS2 upgrade and BS2 Full versions, if so install the BS2 full version by leaving it ticked, and untick the BS2 upgrade so it is not installed.
  6. If still getting issues, uploading a dcs.log file might be handy to figure out issue: c:\Users\YourUsername\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Logs\dcs.log

Regards, Ian.

Great set of possibilities. I will try these options. BTY, what I am describing happens with both versions of DCS World 1.5 and well as 2.0.

I will report back after trying these suggestions.

use DCS Website License management and unbind the Upgrade key from your Account.

-www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

-Login

-paste the Upgrade License Key in the License Check Box on the Left Side

-under the results, click Un Bind from this Login

use DCS_Updater Utility or Command Lines to Remove BS2 Upgrade module from your install's update/autoupdate file by running dcs_Updater.exe uninstall KA-50bs1 ( or KA-50bs1_ru for Russian Version)

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I would suggest that:

Regards, Ian.

Thanks!

I am walking through these recommendations. Where is the DCS 2.0 repair feature? I've never heard of that application.

use DCS Website License management and unbind the Upgrade key from your Account.

-www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

-Login

-paste the Upgrade License Key in the License Check Box on the Left Side

-under the results, click Un Bind from this Login

use DCS_Updater Utility or Command Lines to Remove BS2 Upgrade module from your install's update/autoupdate file by running dcs_Updater.exe uninstall KA-50bs1 ( or KA-50bs1_ru for Russian Version)

I've tried this. However, the tool is not allowing me to unbind. When I try to unbind, I get a message that says "One or more parameters are invalid." I've tried several times with the same results. There is no hint as to what parameters.

I would suggest that:

Regards, Ian.

I tried these steps in DCS 1.5 and 2.0.

I got as far as step 3.

Step 4 describes running the updater located in the bin file.

Running the updater file only launched DCS World.

I tried these steps in DCS 1.5 and 2.0.

I got as far as step 3.

Step 4 describes running the updater located in the bin file.

Running the updater file only launched DCS World.

Doesn't mention the updater, it says to run the repair tool, you do that from the windows start button on your taskbar and go to the all programs directory and then find the DCS program directory and repair tool icon within, it will then verify your install and remove and backup any mods that don't belong to the original DCS program and replace any missing files that should be there in DCS.

Default path to Game most likely: C:\Program Files\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Ka-50\

How to do repair and other things with the command line.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Not being able to unbind from the ED website, is what I talked about in the first post, others have had issues and had to go to the support section and issue a fault report to ED for them to unbind it for them, I think they did that so you can't share or swap your keys with other users, you use to be able to, but is forbidden now.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC

DCS Tech Support.

I did the license check (a great resource BTY) and both the upgrade license and the full version are both registered to my account.

Great, at least that part seems fine.

However, in the module manager in DCS World 2.0 there are two serial numbers listed in the serial number pull-down menu for BS2.

One of those serial numbers are for the recently downloaded Full version of BS2. But, the second serial number is not recognized at all. The second serial number

shown in the module manager is not from the upgrade version.

I would have a guess that the unrecognised serial number is most likely the Blackshark 1 key number, that has been input correctly in the past or some other anonomly.

I would say that the parameter that is incorrect, is that the module manager is trying to use the blackshark 1 key number to deactive a BS2 upgrade module instead of the actual BS2 upgrade key numbers which will just not work.

Last resort fix I can see for this problem, and may cost you one activation for your BS2 keys, is to use the ED registry clearing tool for the keys of BS2 in your windows registry.

Solution:

----------

Before you do anything, make sure you have all Serial Numbers for your BS2 modules, written down, you will need to re-enter them later on in this fix, you can get them from the profile page on ED site if stuck for most of them.

This will delete the old DCS module keys stored in the Windows registry for Blackshark 2 upgrade and the full version also, so if you can DRM deactivate the full version first with the module manager before doing this fix, great you will not lose an activation for that module only the BS upgrade module.

Download the file attached file and unpack the zip file and run the file with .reg after it by double click it with the mouse and accept any prompts it puts up to include into the registry.

Once that is done, re-run the activation window, via running DCSW module manager.

Re-Enter the correct Serial Numbers for the BS2 full version and re-activate. Ignore anything to do with the BS2 upgrade version if prompted.

Can test in module manger to see if all seems correct now.

Problem should now be fixed.

Delete KA-50 BlackShark 2_Reg_Keys.zip

Edited by MadDog-IC

DCS Tech Support.

Doesn't mention the updater, it says to run the repair tool, you do that from the windows start button on your taskbar and go to the all programs directory and then find the DCS program directory and repair tool icon within, it will then verify your install and remove and backup any mods that don't belong to the original DCS program and replace any missing files that should be there in DCS.

Default path to Game most likely: C:\Program Files\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Ka-50\

How to do repair and other things with the command line.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Not being able to unbind from the ED website, is what I talked about in the first post, others have had issues and had to go to the support section and issue a fault report to ED for them to unbind it for them, I think they did that so you can't share or swap your keys with other users, you use to be able to, but is forbidden now.

Regards, Ian.

I do not have a listing for ED or DCS in my windows menu. Odd! So, I cannot see the repair option that you mentioned. Because of the bizarre issues I am experiencing, I am reluctant to do command line solutions, for fear of making things worse. Additionally, there is no command line option in my right-click menu.

Great, at least that part seems fine.

I would have a guess that the unrecognised serial number is most likely the Blackshark 1 key number, that has been input correctly in the past or some other anonomly.

I would say that the parameter that is incorrect, is that the module manager is trying to use the blackshark 1 key number to deactive a BS2 upgrade module instead of the actual BS2 upgrade key numbers which will just not work.

Last resort fix I can see for this problem, and may cost you one activation for your BS2 keys, is to use the ED registry clearing tool for the keys of BS2 in your windows registry.

Solution:

----------

Before you do anything, make sure you have all Serial Numbers for your BS2 modules, written down, you will need to re-enter them later on in this fix, you can get them from the profile page on ED site if stuck for most of them.

This will delete the old DCS module keys stored in the Windows registry for Blackshark 2 upgrade and the full version also, so if you can DRM deactivate the full version first with the module manager before doing this fix, great you will not lose an activation for that module only the BS upgrade module.

Download the file attached file and unpack the zip file and run the file with .reg after it by double click it with the mouse and accept any prompts it puts up to include into the registry.

Once that is done, re-run the activation window, via running DCSW module manager.

Re-Enter the correct Serial Numbers for the BS2 full version and re-activate. Ignore anything to do with the BS2 upgrade version if prompted.

Can test in module manger to see if all seems correct now.

Problem should now be fixed.

I will collect the keys, download the tool. I've already used the DRM option on the ED site to remove BS2 in both 1.5.x and 2.x.x of DCS World. I will get back with results.

Edited by Gpruitt54

In an earlier message on this thread, I stated this issue has persisted for several years. I've posted messages to ED customer support but, they have not addressed this issue in any way. They recommended that I post on the message board as we are now doing.

I appreciate all the input from you guys. However, whatever is happening it is happening on a very deep level. The registry fix did not resolve the issue (I had high hopes for it). After running the registry fix, I re-ran DCS 2.x and 5.x and in both versions, I still get prompts to do two things. Those are to:

1. Run the BD1 to BS2 upgrade

2. Install BS2.

If I install BS2 as prompted, the module installs and plays as expected. But, the prompt to install the BS1 to BS2 upgrade remains. If attempt to install the BS1 to BS2 upgrade I get the message that I must install BS1.

It seems that I will have to live with being prompted to upgrade from BS1 to BS2, knowing that I can never select and run that option. Does this mean that I can never update BS2 from whatever version I am now running?

QUESTION: What would happen if I went into the registry and simply remove any registry elements that references to BS and/or BS2? Might that clear whatever is driving the BS1 to BS2 upgrade prompt, as well as getting rid of that unknown product key that I cannot account for?

In an earlier message on this thread, I stated this issue has persisted for several years. I've posted messages to ED customer support but, they have not addressed this issue in any way. They recommended that I post on the message board as we are now doing.

I find that very surprising, I would lodge another support ticket to ED, respectively asking to get the BS2 upgrade module delinked from your online account as it is no use to you anymore, other users have had this done successfully in the past, so I know they will do it.

Don't accept no for an answer.

I appreciate all the input from you guys. However, whatever is happening it is happening on a very deep level. The registry fix did not resolve the issue (I had high hopes for it). After running the registry fix, I re-ran DCS 2.x and 5.x and in both versions, I still get prompts to do two things. Those are to:

1. Run the BD1 to BS2 upgrade

2. Install BS2.

If I install BS2 as prompted, the module installs and plays as expected. But, the prompt to install the BS1 to BS2 upgrade remains. If attempt to install the BS1 to BS2 upgrade I get the message that I must install BS1.

As I have stated previously, this is totally normal procedure and the way the module manager works, install the full version and forget about the prompt for bs1 to bs2 upgrade. If you can't live with being prompted for the bs1 to bs2 upgrade, I repeat the only fix is to have Eagle Dynamics delink the BS2 upgrade module from your actual logon account, that is the only way as it is the same as you never having the module, you will never be prompted again to install it.

It seems that I will have to live with being prompted to upgrade from BS1 to BS2, knowing that I can never select and run that option. Does this mean that I can never update BS2 from whatever version I am now running?

Yes just live with it, or do the above with ED, The whole reason for buying the BS2 full module was to forget about the bs1 to bs2 upgrade module as you can never install it, unless you have BS1 and installed first, as you say you no longer have BS1 so the bs2 upgrade module is dead in the water, not installable, not upgradeable, not anything. However the new BS2 full version is installed and working correctly and is capable of being upgraded and patched as time goes on.

QUESTION: What would happen if I went into the registry and simply remove any registry elements that references to BS and/or BS2? Might that clear whatever is driving the BS1 to BS2 upgrade prompt, as well as getting rid of that unknown product key that I cannot account for?

Playing with the registry at this point and for this problem will not fix anything, and may only serve to loose key activations and or cause other issues with windows. I will however provide a key remover file to remove the Blackshark 1 keys from the registry.

You have me totally confused, I am getting really repetative and getting mixed messages from you, if you have both the BS2 upgrade and BS2 full version being asked to be installed, why if you have BS full installed and working fine, do you even want to try and install the BS2 upgrade, it is the exact same module as the full, just with the requirement of having to have BS1 installed first.

I have a similiar setup as you, I bought BS1 on steam years ago (so it is always installed), then I bought BS2 upgrade, and finally bought BS2 Full.

I have the BS2 upgrade still installed, but DCS always insists on asking me to install the BS2 full version as well, I don't and I move on and play the game. (Not a big problem)

I consider the issue resolved.

Cheers, Ian.

Remove BS1 key.zip

Edited by MadDog-IC

DCS Tech Support.

Yeah, I can live with the prompt to upgrade from BS1 to BS2. I've been living with this for 5 years. this is the third time I have tried to resolve the issue in 5 years.

To your comment about being confused, here is my input. I don't want to run the upgrade. I only want the prompt to run the upgrade to go away.

I did post a ticket on the DCS support. We will see if it get addressed this time.