Flight Manual Startup Error? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by H@rry View Post
The DCS aeroplane doesn't start following the procedure in the original pilot's notes. The notes say to move the cut off control forward into the RUN position before hitting the booster coil and starter, then pump away at the primer until the engine runs smoothly. This procedure doesn't work on the DCS aeroplane as the engine never catches.

This video shows MH434 (which is the aircraft modelled by DCS) being started as per the pilot's notes (ignore the commentary. The narrator gets it wrong - the cut off is clearly fully forward):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzsJBjbCyvM
I will say that in those kind of clips,error may have happen too.
Start up in warbirds in DCS are simplified,there is no in depth start up logic or anything implemented, you just start engine that's it like in car.
I linked scans from spit pilot manual,
Mixture controll fully aft it says before start up.
DCS spit is missing need of keeping booster and using primer to keep it going until engine will work fine.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-23-2019 at 08:11 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #12
Nealius
Veteran

Does the real mixture lever function as an idle cutoff like in the DCS Spit? One thing that hasn't made sense to me is that it's called a mixture control lever, with full forward being "rich." That would imply that full aft is "lean," and that the lever could be positioned anywhere between rich and lean for a specific fuel mixture. Not an idle cutoff as we have it in the sim.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #13
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
Does the real mixture lever function as an idle cutoff like in the DCS Spit? One thing that hasn't made sense to me is that it's called a mixture control lever, with full forward being "rich." That would imply that full aft is "lean," and that the lever could be positioned anywhere between rich and lean for a specific fuel mixture. Not an idle cutoff as we have it in the sim.
It used to work that way but when merlin 66 come in with automatic carburettor, function of this was reduced to cut off/run switch.
It was standard ammong top fighters in WW2 to have automatic carbs. So pilot dont need to pay attention.
Early p-51 and p-47 used 3 stage mixture control cut-off/lean/rich/ but all of those dont incorporate linear transitions between. it work like switch.(4th stage was emergency full rich position).
During war planes got lots of changes upgrades etc etc. We have very late war planes, all of them incorporate latest stuff.
If we would get something like f4f or Zero or yak-1 or even early spit / hurricane etc that we would get manual mixture control

Last edited by grafspee; 09-23-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
Art-J
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Mixture controll fully aft it says before start up.
... and in the next step it says to move it to "run" position before priming and cranking.

When one tries to do it in DCS Spit though, the system gets depressurized and the rest of the startup as per manual is impossible.

Some of us have been pointing out this discrepancy since the module release, without devs reply, however. I suspect part of the system modelling logic might have been just copy-pasted from the Mustang when the Spit was being developed.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #15
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
... and in the next step it says to move it to "run" position before priming and cranking.

When one tries to do it in DCS Spit though, the system gets depressurized and the rest of the startup as per manual is impossible.

Some of us have been pointing out this discrepancy since the module release, without devs reply, however. I suspect part of the system modelling logic might have been just copy-pasted from the Mustang when the Spit was being developed.
oh Yes, you are right.
Even priming in p-51 s broken becouse priming works only before you start cranking, while cranking priming has no effect and it should have had it.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-23-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
Ralphk

i am extremely disappointed with the Spitfire manual as i was delving deep into it lately.... it seems that the big focus is on wikipedia and national geographic style history while they go quickly over the procedures and in a contradictory way sometimes...
Ralphk is offline   Reply With Quote