How Do You Operate FC3 Jet Systems?

Zulu111

If I understood correctly the jets included in the FC3 Module do not have clickable cockpits. Does this mean you have to use keyboard clicks or HOTAS assigned buttons to control procedures such as locking on ground weapons, operating navigation, starting engines, etc that would normally be handled by the clickable cockpit?

Assuming that this is true does this mean the cockpit procedures are simplified (since its just a few keyboard clicks) as compared to what you would normally have to do in a clickable cockpit?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Yep pretty simple and straight forward. One key press to turn on the electrics, a few key presses will get your engines turning, and then you're ready to taxi. Check your bindings. The number keys switch modes Nav/A2A/A2G etc. Ditto for cycling waypoints and weapons.

Simplified controls mean simplified systems, right? You can't do some of the more advanced things like set waypoints, program flight plans and weapons parameters, tune your radios. That kind of stuff. They still feel great to fly, but you're missing the full on system's interaction that you would get from, say, A-10C or F/A-18C. Less of a learning curve, and if you have a good stick, you can map pretty much anything you would need to your HOTAS. Great for VR!

I find FC3 modules to be far more difficult in handling in-cockpit systems in the sense that a) remembering a plethora of keyboard combos, and b) finding those on the keyboard during a VR session makes it a real challenge (unless, of course, you map a ton of these to your HOTAS).

More "complex" modules with clickable buttons, switches and dials makes this a lot easier as you simply click where you need to in order to get things done (this also allows you to have more manageable HOTAS settings).

So the AHI (I made that up just now: Aircraft-Human-Interface) in FC3 is a lot more difficult compared to the full fidelity modules that DCS offers.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Less control of systems but most of the keyboard commands are common to all the birds. So, once you know them... “G” (for instance) always raises the landing gear, if they are lowered, and lowers them, if they are raised, regardless of the aircraft.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Is the documentation for where all the commands are bound posted in some sort of PDF that comes with FC3 or do you have to go into the DCS FC3 module and examine the HOTAS and keyboard mappings line by line? thanks.

Edited by Pilot905

Is the documentation for where all the commands are bound posted in some sort of PDF that comes with FC3...

:) Of course not. That would make it convenient.

There are keyboard maps around, I think, and some older stick mappings as well but the latter's usefulness would depend on your flight stick/gear, of course.

...or do you have to go into the DCS FC3 module and examine the HOTAS and keyboard mappings line by line? thanks.

Yes, unfortunately. It'd be nice if the common mappings were all under one heading such as FC3 and only dissimilar items were under the individual aircraft but...

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

The controls will NOT automatically be sensible (they NEVER are). The program takes a guess at your peripherals. I always get a dozen buttons tied to to my pedals which I have to delete.

You must go through the setup line by line. Obviously some commands are more important than others. Especially verify that all control axis (pitch, rudder, aileron) are correct. Look at the line left to right and see that they only are tied where they should be tied. Pulled my hair for a while before realizing the little joystick on top of the throttle had defaulted to rudder pedals. Kept touching this intermittently and couldn't understand why the rudders sometimes went crazy.

You can make an HTML file from inside the "Adjust Controls". Rightmost "Make HTML" will make an html file with commands listed.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

:) Of course not. That would make it convenient.

Just to be clear: There is a PDF manual (even multuiple manuals for each FC3 bird IIRC). I don't know if it lists the keybinds or not, but they are listed in the DCS control settings anyways.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just to be clear: There is a PDF manual (even multuiple manuals for each FC3 bird IIRC). I don't know if it lists the keybinds or not, but they are listed in the DCS control settings anyways.

I thought he was asking if there was a document listing the commands in a single place. True, each aircraft has a dedicated manual but none of the manuals list the commands in a single location. They are distributed throughout the manual based on the topic. And some have no mention at all.

_____

I thought he was asking if there was a document listing the commands in a single place. True, each aircraft has a dedicated manual but none of the manuals list the commands in a single location. They are distributed throughout the manual based on the topic. And some have no mention at all.

Yes, my comment was just in case someone got the impression that there are no manuals at all :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg