JTAC IP to Target Distance (advice sought)

btaft

One of the areas in which I am having some difficulty is "getting" everything done from the IP to the target when coordinating with a JTAC. This is particularly the case with the Maverick.

Example - After taking out the pre-planned SEAD in TTQ-14 with MK82Air and Guns I enter an orbit around IP Adder as instructed. I get the 9-line, I either enter in coordinates into a waypoint with the CDU or hook it with the TAD once receiving the message. I then attempt to locate the target with the TGP or Mk 1 eyeball ad possibly turn it into a SPI and slave everything to the SPI. After this break out of the orbit and go in hot. Depending upon the diameter of the IP orbit (usually banked about 30-35 deg) I often find myself right on top of the target with little time to get the Maverick to lock. I do admit mavericks are not a strong part of my game.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I have watched Recon Stewart's videos as well. I suppose it might just be that I have to get "better" or improve my proficiency (which is fine).

You could try a larger orbit to give yourself some more distance or you could pull a 180 and fly out to 5nm or larger to give yourself more time to line up the maverick shot.

It really depends on where you are in the orbit when the target is located and if you decide to make another orbit or tip in from your current position.

It doesn't help that the targets are heading towards the IP either instead of moving parallel to it.

Over time you will gain experience on how much standoff room you need to get the weapons aligned.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates