On the subject of VR Improvements...

NineLine

Back to the topic from _two_ years ago. Riding the dead horse every three months.

More and more gamers are switching to VR, but still DCS VR gaming is a pain in the ass for many. I have a G2, 2080S, Ryzen 5 5600 X and 32GB of memory. Still, I have an orgy of stutters every time I launch the game and only 30-35 FPS in-game - with reduced graphics.

It's really great that you guys (ED) are bringing so much new content, but at these prices it would be really nice to hear something about Vulcan or VR support on a regular basis.
Thank you in advance for that!

• Like 4

I can only read the translation,but, all they say is that VR is a must have feature, that they were one of the first to the market to have it, and that they will dim the f10 map at night…

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Am 18.12.2021 um 11:46 schrieb kybinec:

Big interview with ED Russia I DCS team
vr topic from 0:16:45, but the interview is in Russian. In short, they promise to focus heavily on VR technologies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVyB64kOWno&t=1082s

Thanks for the link and summary.

That was 3 months ago again, but at least something. I would appreciate more info from ED regarding this....

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get rid of the double mouse cursors that pop up when selecting radio menus? Actually, just get rid of radio menus, cause when you can't see anything outside your headset, stumbling around, feeling for your mouse every time you need to communicate with the AI is really frustrating. 

And get the mouse cursor restrained to the game, too many times have I tried to hit a switch in cockpit, to find out that I actually clicked off the game somehow, and now I crashed into the side of a mountain because none of my inputs works in this state and it took me a few seconds to long to click back into the game. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

And get the mouse cursor restrained to the game, too many times have I tried to hit a switch in cockpit, to find out that I actually clicked off the game somehow, and now I crashed into the side of a mountain because none of my inputs works in this state and it took me a few seconds to long to click back into the game. 

There's an option to constrain mouse to game window in the VR options tab 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Works fine for me in windowed VR mirror, maximized or otherwise. DCS usually puts up a big red "window not in focus" text warning if it's not focused.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Restricting works fine for me too. I would however like to be able to just not have the coms menu appear all the time when there is a dialog. These texts really take some of the immersion out of it. I prefer having nothing dispplaying at all and just use the VR scratchpad to make my own notes.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Can we get rid of the double mouse cursors that pop up when selecting radio menus? Actually, just get rid of radio menus, cause when you can't see anything outside your headset, stumbling around, feeling for your mouse every time you need to communicate with the AI is really frustrating. 

Easy fix. Don't use the mouse at all, use the hand controllers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 2:49 PM, edmuss said:

There's an option to constrain mouse to game window in the VR options tab 🙂

Doesnt work.

On 1/2/2022 at 3:38 PM, Dannyvandelft said:

Easy fix. Don't use the mouse at all, use the hand controllers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That aint no fix.  Mouse is far easier than the hand controller for the dials.buttons.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

42 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Doesnt work.

That aint no fix.  Mouse is far easier than the hand controller for the dials.buttons.

I also have the same option on the system tab, I have checked both and my mouse is completely restrained to the DCS window unless I alt-tab, regardless of whether DCS is running windowed or full screen.

Every other game in vr  has a massive fps drop at start of a multiplayer game. It makes the game unplayable. I alt - tab in and out but sometimes it pops the fps back sometimes it doesn't. I have a beefy pc.  As a professional game dev myself im trying to be patient, 🙂 .   At the moment its 50 50 weather ill get a good game in. 

10 hours ago, Gonzzo said:

Every other game in vr  has a massive fps drop at start of a multiplayer game. It makes the game unplayable. I alt - tab in and out but sometimes it pops the fps back sometimes it doesn't. I have a beefy pc.  As a professional game dev myself im trying to be patient, 🙂 .   At the moment its 50 50 weather ill get a good game in. 

I do find it helps to close DCS and re-open between MP servers...  but not always.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I was looking to upgrade my 1080ti to a 3070ti (opportunity with a good price at the moment). Now I've just seen that DCS in VR is pretty horrible when it comes to VRAM consumption, see also more-or-less dead thread:

My 1080ti has 11 GB of VRAM whereas the 3070ti only has 8GB. In all other respects the 3070ti should be a big upgrade over the 1080ti, but will the 8GB be problematic with DCS apparently being a VRAM sink? I run a Reverb G2. 3080+ are not really an option due to huge price difference, in which case I'll wait with any upgrade.

I'm not sure how much of the apparent vram usage is actually used, no matter my settings I'm always using 7.5-7.8gb vram and between 150 and 300mb shared GPU ram. Running G2 at 100% with most settings on medium/high.

I think it's allocating but not using it all. The only time that I get stutters/dropped frames is when I run high textures, however the apparent vram usage is still the same as with medium textures (this behaviour only started with the last OB patch, before that I could run max textures). The only way I can run high textures is to set all other settings to low which then doesn't look anywhere near as good but still says it's using all of the ram. With potato settings with high textures I only need to turn on low shadows for example and I'm dropping every other frame.

Might be worth waiting till Nvidia release the 16gb 3070ti, I understand that the current 70ti just isn't enough of a performance jump to justify the extra cost.

• Thanks 1

Can someone tell me were to find what each of the VR options do?

I would like to know how checking of each option will effect the game in VR.

Also I get the plane in the hanger normally with the out of focus text in red, but no menu to make any selections to play the game, Help Please.  TC

11900 cpu/WC

3080 gpu

32" Asus monitor

64gb ram

HP G2 VR

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

6 minutes ago, too-cool said:

Can someone tell me were to find what each of the VR options do?

I would like to know how checking of each option will effect the game in VR.

Also I get the plane in the hanger normally with the out of focus text in red, but no menu to make any selections to play the game, Help Please.  TC

11900 cpu/WC

3080 gpu

32" Asus monitor

64gb ram

HP G2 VR

Search the forums, they are largely covered there.  If you still need help create a separate thread for each topic, don't hijack existing threads on different subjects.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Recently I have been running my Q2 with vsync fast, pre-rendered frames at 2 and forced reprojection. thinking about it I feel like forced reprojection and pre-rendered frames to 2 should be a better combination? I unfortunately don't have any good way of measuring frame times as oculus don't really support anything decent like VRfps. I know this does not make a huge difference but from my subjective testing I do feel this gives better consistency and generally smoother. Anyone else tried this?/Had this experience?

I think I will give pre-rendered frames at 2 a try today with my Vive Pro 2 and see how it does.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 1/20/2022 at 7:46 AM, dburne said:

I think I will give pre-rendered frames at 2 a try today with my Vive Pro 2 and see how it does.

Hey Don, anything of interest to report back from your test?

thx

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

20 hours ago, javelina1 said:

Hey Don, anything of interest to report back from your test?

thx

Yes - for me changing the pre-rendered frames to 2 seems to have reduced some of the minor stuttering I was getting when down low. For now I am leaving it there.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 1/23/2022 at 12:28 PM, dburne said:

Yes - for me changing the pre-rendered frames to 2 seems to have reduced some of the minor stuttering I was getting when down low. For now I am leaving it there.

From what I can understand that is the expected behaviour of this setting and is what I see. However the trade-off is input lag which is either so small I don't notice or my current theory is that as I run in locked reprojection all the time I get a little input lag anyway so perhaps there really isn't much difference.