TK PRES LO above 20k feet with empty centerline tank

Nealius

This is consistent behavior when I fly above 20,000 feet with a centerline tank. When the tank is empty, or close to empty, I will get a TK PRES LO warning. NATOPS lists this warning as an emergency situation, and thus I have a hunch that it probably shouldn't be happening with such regularity. I noticed that it also does not happen with empty/near empty wing bags at the same altitudes.

• Like 1

Just reproduced. Track is too big to upload through the forums, so uploading here.

It happens specifically at 20,000 feet. After I pass Waypoint 1 in this mission, you will see me ascend/descend through 20,000 feet a number of times in rapid succession. Every time, except for the last time, I get an intermittent TK PRES LO warning.

Last time I saw it happen I was just flying around w a wingman using the same loadout. We we’re around 10k feet I think. I got the warning and he didnt. Same fuel state, same altitude. I “think” we were using 2 wing tanks vs a centerline. No idea what triggered it and I havent seen it again.

Just flew with a C/L tank and didn't get a warning when it was drained above 20k.

What were your mission parameters; airborne, hot/cold start, did you drain the fuel then go over 20k, or were you at 20k first?

Occurs in both cold start and hot ramp start. Tank ran dry during climbout, as I started off with about 65% fuel.

Are you referencing the pocket guide for the caution? Remedy is cycle bleed air switch. If you have it an no one else seems to be getting it, I would check the ECS switch positions when you get it again, perhaps you have a key bind or something that is messing with the airsoirce or the dump switch.

Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

I am still getting this as of 22AUG, on the latest Open Beta branch. It happens specifically at 20,000 feet, and if I fly precisely at 20,000 the warning will remain on, even if I reset Bleed Air as per Emergency Procedures in the manual. When passing below 19,900 feet or above 20,100 feet the warning will extinguish.

Correction, it occurs between 19,980 feet and 20,060 feet. Even with 510lbs of gas left in the tank.

Edited by Nealius

I am still getting this as of 22AUG, on the latest Open Beta branch. It happens specifically at 20,000 feet, and if I fly precisely at 20,000 the warning will remain on, even if I reset Bleed Air as per Emergency Procedures in the manual. When passing below 19,900 feet or above 20,100 feet the warning will extinguish.

Correction, it occurs between 19,980 feet and 20,060 feet. Even with 510lbs of gas left in the tank.

I can confirm as well. TK PRES LO warning is reproducible every time while transitioning through these altitudes.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

• 2 years later...

The Error ist still existing, it can be fixed with cycling the bleed air knob and pull the bleed air aug knob but thats not how it should work,...

The official FA 18 C Pocket Checklist statet

"

INFLIGHT

1. Bleed air switches – CYCLE

If caution remains or reappears -

2. Do not exceed 0.9 Mach in dive

"

And how the horet bleedair system is build it dont makes much sense, to pull the aug knob.

If you look up the NATOPS, you will find a diagram of the Air-System, the Aug Pull switch should only open a valve to a ( in midair ) non or low pressurized system thats used from the APU und Ground Air

• 1 year later...

As for today, still present.

Center line tank empty (and more than 5k lbs of fuel left on the aircraft) and the tank pressure appears at 20k ft exactly.

As soon as you go down or up a few feet it goes away.

The track file is too big since it appears on a BFM Agressor campaign solo mission over Nevada.

Definitely a bug.

• BIGNEWY changed the title to TK PRES LO above 20k feet with empty centerline tank
  • ED Team

I have tried again today to reproduce this but no luck so far. 

If anyone does have a short as possible track replay showing it please attach it. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

A short track is difficult to get since the center line tank has to be empty and there is no option to select it empty on the mission editor (like the Tomcat I believe).

Anyway, empty it, and put your Hornet at 20k exactly with the BarAlt hold and you'll hear the alarm.

I've been doing the Agressor BFM Campaign the last few days and it never fails when I get to 20k sharp with the center line ext tank empty.

Weird.

In my case it happens when the centerline tank is empty.

When I go to the training range the tank still has fuel and I don't have the alarm.

But when I come back the tank is empty and I get the alarm holding or crossing 20k up or down.

I did not tried with the large bags though.

Im wondering whats causing this bug now, because TK PRES LO indicates low tank pressurization above 20,000ft. And I don't think it can be a coincidence that thats where the bug occurs. I wonder if ED have attempted to model some tank pressurization system and its mis calibrated or something 

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

According to the NATOPS (section 2.2.2.1), the TK PRES LO caution should display when the internal tanks are depressurized above 20kft. So the 20kft portion is correct, but I guess the question would be why is the system thinking the internal tanks are being depressurized. Depressurization should occur with the probe extended or the hook & gear handles down.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/