Hornet vs Viper

BuzzU

Hornet vs Viper  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Hornet vs Viper

• Hornet
    • Viper

In case anybody was wondering why I started this poll. When this question has been asked in the past too many guys picked the Hornet because it was more complete.

I wanted to see which plane they really like if they were both finished.

Buzz

Viper, because of its much better HOTAS and display management. That's pretty much the only reason, but it's a big one (for me) as it is really terrible in the Hornet.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

F-18 display management is a nightmare for me, and I can't ****ing read anything in VR. I just don't get it right.

Even if I cannot read more in the Viper, I "understand" better what is happening in the aircraft. Maybe its more "intuitive".

But I haven't thought too much about this logics, neither I read the manual :shocking:

Maybe this is unfair to the Hornet, but I love the Viper more than the Hornet.

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Depends on the mood I'm in when I'm sitting down to fly a virtual pit. There was no question about buying either module. >.<

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I arbitrarily like the Hornet more than the Falcon. I have never cared too much for the F-16. I love the F-4 Phantom over everything. When the F-4 was being replaced starting in the mid to late 70s, my interest/preference fell to the F-15 Eagle. The F/A-18 looks a little like a baby F-15. Yet, for some reason, I don't like the Super Hornet that much. I am glad DCS gave us the Legacy Hornet, first. I much prefer the F/A-18C to the F-16C and the F/A-18E.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Viper for me.

Its just a more elegant platform in some ways. And will be "more done" than the hornet when its done on a systems level, because its systems are somewhat simpler. Plus kinematically its better than hornet.

I think the hornet if it were actually modeled right would be the better A/A fighter, but I don't have much faith in ED actually implementing alot of the sensor fusion MSI functionality that the hornet of that era has, or if they "legally" can.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

F-16 for A2A, F-18 for everythine else imo. And since im an A2A guy im going Viper.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Honestly I love them both but the Hornet lands on carriers and thats the nudge for the win.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Hornet. I just like it better. The 3rd screen is valuable and its avionics are more sophisticated, even though its HOTAS implementation isn't as good as the Viper's

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

This was a very hard choice tbh

As great as the hornet is and can do everything and carrier ops and is more modern i just fell in love with the viper. It just feels so immersive when i get in the cockpit. It just feels so intuitive, I can't wait till it's finished. So Viper for me!:thumbup:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

Viper. It's faster and only a scrub takes 10 amraams.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I just feel more at home in VR in the Viper. That big bubble is a big draw for me. The way it flies also works better for me. Overall readibility of the instruments also works better in my Rift S than the Hornet.

Carrier ops is the only reason I will still fly the Hornet for years, it is just so much fun. Once both are feature complete I suspect I will fly the Viper a lot more though.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

This is actually really difficult.

I much prefer the F-16Cs HOTAS and general usability, it's friendlier to learn I also think the F-16C cockpit is the best of all time, second to none. It's really fun to fly and capable all around.

The only thing I maybe don't like, though it's pretty minor is the ACM HUD symbology - in the hornet it tells you precisely where to put/line up the bandit and when you get a lock, it declutters. With the Viper, you get an indication of what mode you're in, and it stays there even when locked.

The F/A-18 however has the superior RADAR, carrier capable and can perform anti-ship, making it the more versatile choice, it has a less involved and I'd argue better radios.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

For a long time I took Falcon on the ride, after a longer period of the Rook flying with some mixtures between Hornet (and some bug testing) and Harrier, I was just amazed that how different it was. You really can feel the different design between Navy and Air Force, where A-10C is closer to Navy.

So of course I voted for Hornet. Don't know why it even feels so much more agile and responsive. But it really comes to those displays, that are so ugly tiny in Falcon and so low that I hate the idea to look so deep inside the cockpit.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.