MSAA Settings Change?

wilbur81

I'm wondering something: It seems that since last week's OB update, the in-game anti-aliasing (MSAA) settings have changed. I've been playing DCS at 3840x2160 for several years now. One of the cool things about this is that I've been able to avoid using the resource-heavy MSAA graphics option because, at 4K, the sim has always looked quite good...with minimal/acceptable levels of "jaggies" and shimmering. Now, quite frankly, the sim looks pretty ugly with MSAA off, even at 4K. However, when I set MSAA to 2, I'm getting the usual (significant) performance hit. It's like they've dumbed down the base-level MSAA affect to make it appear that the sim is performing better with the same MSAA settings... when in reality they've dropped the anti-aliasing quality lower than it used to be? I'm probably wrong here, but just curious.

Long story short, I'm getting a new, significant, performance hit in order to achieve the same level of beauty that I got in 4K before last week's update. Is anyone else noticing this?

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

This is interesting, I am the same 4k since years and never tried with MSAA off. I will switch it off to see what performance difference I get.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

MSAA - OFF / 2x / 4x

Exactly the same scene test in DCS Syria - Damascus area.

MSAA - OFF = additional 6 FPS (but looks bad)

MSAA - 2x = (my good quality perception) = FPS at 46 in cockpit and 38 FPS 70 meters over Damascus.

MSAA - 4x = results in 40 FPS in cockpit and 32 FPS over Damascus.

I definitely see a difference between MSAA OFF and 2x, but I really don't see it between 2x and 4x.

My settings:

y4mJJRCuxBCTQDHV436Pu1zrrfXoQYV_vk1duIF-Te_1Qsc5Sk_LDy-chlMDZUSWGpg8zAcCZgexsqD6DNkxWXXuapz58yVhKKVofnn277523qpvGp4duZ5niDKnzXGXz2QWj2YBYSrxK0pAwSKXrFiIWMjDdf-KeUsQkS6Ehl-ygciKixeNbhK2yvqMXahbEEOGM03uJw9j5t8EenSchRnzg?width=1271&height=720&cropmode=none

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I'd like to know what SSLR is and what it does.......love how devs add these settings with absolutely no info on them!!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I'd like to know what SSLR is and what it does.......love how devs add these settings with absolutely no info on them!!

Me as well....funnily, in my install, these options are greyed out for me? Anyone got any idea why this might be?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Well VR Index user here. I have always used MSAA because I hate the jaggies. At MSAA 2x I have a lot of shimering on the aircraft and ground. This is mostly noticable when on the ground or looking at planes with F2. Recently I switched to MSAA 4x just to try it out.

My expectation was an unflyable mess but lo and behold it is quit playable and no more shimmering. Mind I do not require a high fps. I accept 30 tot 45 fps as playable.

PS Still hoping for serious VR fps imrpvements.

Not that long ago it was mentioned somewhere that there will be a quick video explaining all options. I wonder if it is coming. True - these settings should be covered - I don't even know what does SSLR stand for or what does it affect in game other than performance.

Instead of a video my expectation on this would be to have proper tool tips that explain A) the setting itself and B) hint as to what impact the change will have.

• Low impact
  • Medium impact
  • High impact

• On GPU
  • On CPU
  • On GPU / CPU

DCS to my knowledge for some reason has this only for checkbox options currently - like those in settings > gameplay.

This needs to be done to the settings as well. It would hugely benefit newcomers in setting up the game correctly and enjoy it more without lag and stutters - thus higher chance of new players joining as customers.

Best regards

Instead of a video my expectation on this would be to have proper tool tips that explain A) the setting itself and B) hint as to what impact the change will have.

• Low impact
  • Medium impact
  • High impact

• On GPU
  • On CPU
  • On GPU / CPU

DCS to my knowledge for some reason has this only for checkbox options currently - like those in settings > gameplay.

This needs to be done to the settings as well. It would hugely benefit newcomers in setting up the game correctly and enjoy it more without lag and stutters - thus higher chance of new players joining as customers.

+1

But I do of course Google abbreviations from time to time, until I get bored. So I read the thread linked to above. But you're suggestion I like!

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Screen Space Local Reflections

fGqH9HC.png

Cheers mate

Oh and btw does SSLR hit performance at all?

What's wrong with casted shadows?

Scene looks nice and wet but I always missed proper shadows that would put an end to floating units. It's always like there is additional light source under the objects and that gives unnatural look, specifically where wheel meets the ground.

Screen Space Local Reflections

fGqH9HC.png

SSLR is an experimental feature for DCS so it takes more resources than it should. SSLR (Screen Space Reflections) is a feature that has been in games for some years already and nowadays almost all of them have it implemented without any big impact in performance. Even most of the PS4 and Xbox games have it.

Hopefully ED will achieve to optimise it.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria