Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

UIV

I am sure they are probably appealing to the Russian market first and foremost.

Probably they are. But the money are on the Western market, not Russian, so I guess they can't just ignore it. VKB have great products, but with some weird decisions. As an example, trim hat on their MCG, already mentioned. Another one, slew stick on MCG. It look cool and comfortable to reach, but it works somehow strange. I ended up with using factory slew control on Warthog throttle. Which is terrible, but still feels much more natural.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After waiting more than one year to order a Gunfighter Pro MCG only to constantly see "Out of Stock" on the North American VKB website, I fear the polar ice caps will melt and we will meet Kevin Costner in WaterWorld before you can actually place an order for a VKB throttle and have it arrive at your doorstep in North America. (or at least by boat after the caps melt)

I really hope not. Watching him drink his pee once was enough to convince me we needed to stop global warming 0.0

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sokol! ;)

For those who aren't seeing it on the photos linked above, there's also a 3D printed mock-up of the TECS throttle sitting there if you look closely.

I've attached it here as well:

897398208_Screenshotfrom2018-10-1508-17-08.png.f6f53474505ef04d28b54d57b0c83838.png

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The picture is so tiny, we (I) need a bigger resolution photo pleaaase !

I've been flying with the MCG Pro for 9 months now and I just can't wait to put my hands on the TECS. Thanks for the snippets of information)

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I agree - but sadly, until VKB HQ has something else to show, these little teases will have to do.

(btw, I am in the same boat as everyone else - really looking forward to this one!)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I assume this throttle has an afterburner detent? If so, is it easily "removable"? I use this 3D printed detent in my TM WH Throttle: https://www.shapeways.com/product/UBB8WRU3A/warthog-throttle-part-afterburner-detent-with-0?optionId=66710386

I keep the cover off the throttle so I can quickly remove that detent when I'm flying something that doesn't need it, and would in fact be a hindrance with it in, such as the Huey.

Edited by HoneyBadger

I assume this throttle has an afterburner detent? If so, is it easily "removable"? I use this 3D printed detent in my TM WH Throttle: https://www.shapeways.com/product/UBB8WRU3A/warthog-throttle-part-afterburner-detent-with-0?optionId=66710386

I keep the cover off the throttle so I can quickly remove that detent when I'm flying something that doesn't need, and would in fact be a hindrance with it in, such as the Huey.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/

Screenshot_2.jpg.05634cf47a561319d36fef09b47f677d.jpg

http://JGr124.ru, http://vkb-sim.pro/

Тот, кто не любит кошек, в следующей жизни станет мышью... (с)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another tidbit shared originally in the Russian IL-2 forums by BoRada; still 3D printed for research and development, but a nice look at the envisioned detent solution and palm-release-plates to lift the throttle grips over these detents (yes, I say detents as there can be more than one detent installed by the user, in different positions, along each throttle axis).

This photo ties nicely into the concept art above.

gRW5dOx.png

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 2 weeks later...
VKB have great products, but with some weird decisions. As an example, trim hat on their MCG, already mentioned. Another one, slew stick on MCG. It look cool and comfortable to reach, but it works somehow strange. I ended up with using factory slew control on Warthog throttle. Which is terrible, but still feels much more natural.

I have to take it back. Since I get more familiar with VKB config utility, there is absolutely no problems with VKB controls: it do exactly what I want and how I want.

Edited by Lehmen

I love the MCG setup. I run only the default configuration for all of my sims. Any customization I need I provide from within the sim.

Any design can be improved, but the MCG can mimic any Warthog stick setup AND support Russian stick setups. The Warthog grip is still better for the F-16 and A-10 because of the native arrangement of the hats, but in pretty much any other aircraft I fly, the MCG can mimic the real stick and still leave me some extra buttons/hats to provide some extras like knee pad control and show pilot toggle.

The VKB throttle setup looks very nice, too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here's another tidbit shared originally in the Russian IL-2 forums by BoRada; still 3D printed for research and development, but a nice look at the envisioned detent solution and palm-release-plates to lift the throttle grips over these detents (yes, I say detents as there can be more than one detent installed by the user, in different positions, along each throttle axis).

This photo ties nicely into the concept art above.

gRW5dOx.png

Am I correctly understanding that these would be on the back of the throttle and pushed down to activate, as opposed to Western-style finger-lifts on the front?

Palm or thumb operated detents lifts.

This option leave more space in front of grip for buttons/HATS/Slew/Dial and contribute for keep overall throttle design low, ideal for desktop use.

Seems that VKB major compromise is usability and not "western or eastern" designs. :joystick:

This proposed revision looks as if it would be an improvement for VR users. Looks like it'd be more intuitive when "under the hood".

This will likely be my next HOTAS purchase.

(patience is a virtue) ;)

tesc_1_800.JPG.1d4de27d66d78690432281f9c9b02236.JPG.3a21c746ce74aeac362a3a9392fb7dbf.JPG

tesc_2_800.JPG.69699e203aefd4f626761fc2a7f66e91.JPG.d1673562be1b02426e64b55c4d48ff9e.JPG

Images found here.

That does looks great for VR users.

In the future when we have the "hand movement" with VR (like currently with Oculus Touch and coming PointCTRL https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861) we do not need throttle to have all the possible controls from the cockpit.

Simply a good throttle with the throttle buttons, dials, hats etc is required and the base can be left as much as possible clean. And that version above is exactly something about that. The 4x4 button layout and few rotaries are good to have little flexibility on some modules but otherwise you just move hand and operate the cockpit itself. So you can even bind those extra functions to other things like a overall volume control on computer etc so you don't need to "step out" from the VR.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Looks very nice indeed and is tempting

I wonder what the throw or total throttle travel length is? It looks quite long & the longer the better. I had reservations on the Virpil as the throw looked a little short.

I don't have a preference on linear Vs arc travel & don't care if it mimics a real aircraft throttle or not, as long as it's comfy and ergonomic. I'm currently using the hog throttle but very rarely fly the hog in the sim

Wonder what the materials are especially the throttle handles.

I just hope they make them in sufficient quantity as that is currently VKB's Achilles heel

Edited by Weegie
spacing

Looks very nice indeed and is tempting

I wonder what the throw or total throttle travel length is? It looks quite long & the longer the better. I had reservations on the Virpil as the throw looked a little short.

I don't have a preference on linear Vs arc travel & don't care if it mimics a real aircraft throttle or not, as long as it's comfy and ergonomic. I'm currently using the hog throttle but very rarely fly the hog in the sim

Wonder what the materials are especially the throttle handles.

I just hope they make them in sufficient quantity as that is currently VKB's Achilles heel

Likely the same quality plastic as the MCG.