GTX 2080ti and VR review

wrl11

I received my Nvidia GTX 2080ti (preordered from Nvidia directly) yesterday. I will not do specific framerate tests, as others have done a good job on that. I will give my impression of the card here.

My system: Oculus Rift, i7-8700K overclocked to 5.1GHz, 32gb ram, 960 Samsung SSD

Bottom line: I was a bit disappointed that the performance increase was not as much as I hoped coming from my overclocked 1080ti, but there is good improvement and it is well worth buying in my view if you are a DCS nut like myself. I can't go max on settings, but I can add some like shadows and higher terrian textures while keeping the same or better smoothness, which makes it worthwhile my my view.

More detail: The 3D Mark Time Spy benchmark improved from 10214 to 13582. The 1080ti was overclocked and with a cooler, but I can't seem to overclock the RTX without the driver or program crashing.

Under the 1080ti, I ran VR pd 1.2, MSAAx2, AAx16 and both textures on low, view distance high, no shadows, trees 80%, clutter about half. I like very big missions (700 plus objects) and these settings would keep the frame rates at 45 usually with some drops in 30s on high object areas.

With the 2080ti, I tried much higher settings with PD 1.8 and high on others and had poor framerates, dropping to 30s alot. I was hoping for better. I have settled on my old settings (including MSAA x2, AAx16) except I can now raise textures (both) to high, add shadows, high heat blur, trees to 90, clutter higher. But I am still running 1.2 VR pd. With these settings, it has never dipped below 45 even in big missions and is very smooth. So it is well worth the money for me, but still not what I would have thought.

I have noticed the biggest improvement on the PG map. I can fly through downtown now with completely smooth frames (45) were it would drop before. Over the desert, its 90. I never saw 90 with my prior card and settings above.

Keep in mind wrl11 runs heavy missions, where the unit count has a big impact on fps.

Some numbers from a test a while back. Bare in mind, none of these units were in view or visible distance, and me just sitting there starring out the F-18 cockpit in the opposite direction at the opposite end of the map.

BTR	4320T	Drive
500	64	70	62
400	69	74	66
300	74	79	71	
200	80	83	79	
100	88	90	87
50	93	94	92
0	98	98	98

Saying this, cause many post fps from a free flight or something, where the cpu stress is minimal in comparison. In the big missions the cpu is hit hard, more than likely not able to feed the big appetite of a 2080Ti?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

His CPU is #2 on the list:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

So ? It still has limit. 700 ai units is quite a lot. Dcs ai is cpu intensive and it doesn't take advantage of all cores. Gpu doesn't matter much here, it is not about rendering but calculations of ai action. I am not saying 100% this is the case but worth checking.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I received my Nvidia GTX 2080ti (preordered from Nvidia directly) yesterday. I will not do specific framerate tests, as others have done a good job on that. I will give my impression of the card here.

My system: Oculus Rift, i7-8700K overclocked to 5.1GHz, 32gb ram, 960 Samsung SSD

Bottom line: I was a bit disappointed that the performance increase was not as much as I hoped coming from my overclocked 1080ti, but there is good improvement and it is well worth buying in my view if you are a DCS nut like myself. I can't go max on settings, but I can add some like shadows and higher terrian textures while keeping the same or better smoothness, which makes it worthwhile my my view.

More detail: The 3D Mark Time Spy benchmark improved from 10214 to 13582. The 1080ti was overclocked and with a cooler, but I can't seem to overclock the RTX without the driver or program crashing.

Under the 1080ti, I ran VR pd 1.2, MSAAx2, AAx16 and both textures on low, view distance high, no shadows, trees 80%, clutter about half. I like very big missions (700 plus objects) and these settings would keep the frame rates at 45 usually with some drops in 30s on high object areas.

With the 2080ti, I tried much higher settings with PD 1.8 and high on others and had poor framerates, dropping to 30s alot. I was hoping for better. I have settled on my old settings (including MSAA x2, AAx16) except I can now raise textures (both) to high, add shadows, high heat blur, trees to 90, clutter higher. But I am still running 1.2 VR pd. With these settings, it has never dipped below 45 even in big missions and is very smooth. So it is well worth the money for me, but still not what I would have thought.

I have noticed the biggest improvement on the PG map. I can fly through downtown now with completely smooth frames (45) were it would drop before. Over the desert, its 90. I never saw 90 with my prior card and settings above.

Ditch MSAA it does very little to zilch in VR. If by AA x16 you mean Anisopteric filtering, you can keep that as it does not have much impact on frame rates. If you mean SSAA ditch it.

Have a look at how your logical cores are performing in task manager. Remember that TM shows 2x logical cores (LC) for each physical core (PC), so as in my case if you add each LC on the PC that DCS is using you will get a ballpark figure on that core load. In my case I had one LC showing around 30% and the other 40%, so the physical core DCS was using was loaded at 70%. A useful overhead remaining on that single core, but only 25% overall CPU usage.

This where Vulkan will work its magic with multithreading. Bottom line, so long as my missions do not include huge add ons (see below), I have no need to go ahead with my planned 2019 CPU replacement schedule and keep the money in my piggy bank a little longer.

As others said, 700 AI units is a LOT of processing and will eat away at any overhead you have.

My testing was done on the quick mission generator with the AI red and blue units set at default, so there were probably a few dozen planes, helicopters, vehicles, infantry and anti air units, but certainly not 100s.

The main bottleneck for frame rates appears to be within DCS itself, VR is an addition added later, not built in from the start. It works, but it is not very efficient, seems to have a lot of internal latencies which get higher with texture quality.

It does not matter what hardware you have for DCS VR use, you will always need to rely heavily on ASW. As such I am never really bothered about frame rates in themselves, it is the experience I am interested in. If the experience is smooth and without stutters with ASW making it so, I am happy as a clam.

Vulkan and fresh coding will be our saviour. I hope. I suspect the CPUs are processing a lot of stuff that no longer apply. Must be a nightmare making changes to DCS code as it is so unbelievably complex. We can thank our lucky stars that ED have some of the best flight sim coders in the business, and even they screw up regularly.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Hi

Thank’s Wrl11 for your excellent feed-back !:thumbup:

DCS are not optimized for VR !:cry:

With RTX 2080/2080TI Nvidia ,DCS don’t working how to optimize with multi core processors and graphics cards !:huh:

And what would be our hope when helmets like the pimax 5k + will be marketed?

cordially

Lolof1 :thumbup:

Core I7 4770k/5930k/6700k. All OC 4,5Ghz-Watercooling Corsair H100i/H110i V2/GYGABYTE SNIPER 5/ASUS ROG RAMPAGE EXTRÊME VI/ASUS ROG MAXIMUS FORMULA VIII/32-64 RAM DDR3-4/Alim Enermax Platimax 1200-1500 Watt/GTX 1080TI FE OC +20%/ SLI TITAN X PASCAL OC+20% /Corsair 800D/900D /VIRPIL T50-57 MONGOOST/ Hotas/Cougar/Warthog / MFG rudder pedals / Oculus CV1 ./WHEEL BASE THRUSTMASTER TS-PC RACER-WHEEL ROSOF1 Ferrari modder SIMDISPLAY SIMR-F1/WHEEL MERCEDES F1-HAMILTON 2016 SIMULAJE « AKIRA »....

Wags stated recently they are working on some performance optimizations for VR.

Hopefully that will make it's way to us before too much time passes. Certainly would be nice to see.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes certainly dburne:thumbup:, but the time is long since 2016 and the tab "VR" available in DCS:huh:! Even a RTX 2080TI 1400 euros in France gives little performance in more than a "OLD" GTX 1080TI? +20 / 30% in Vr!

If it is contentious for VR, I'm waiting for 2020 and Intel's arrival in the "Gpu" war!

It will be very very long time to wait! Nvidia instead of leaving for the pseudo "Raytracing" ???? , I should think I optimize the Pascal GPU to have more performance just for games! It would have been possible to have 30/50%, a die less fat, less calorific, for a "Gpu Refresh Pascal" 860 euros in Europe!

But surely less seller? It has a very big gpu, very calorific which brings little more perfs for VR and screens 4k!

On average Gpu Turing brings 20/40% of perfs for 1400 euros but they have seen the virgin at Nvidia! A GTX 1080TI was more powerful + 75% against a gtx 980ti with an almost identical price of 860 euros in France and Europe! Well we will wait for optimistaiosn Dburne !!!

Cordially

Lolof1

Core I7 4770k/5930k/6700k. All OC 4,5Ghz-Watercooling Corsair H100i/H110i V2/GYGABYTE SNIPER 5/ASUS ROG RAMPAGE EXTRÊME VI/ASUS ROG MAXIMUS FORMULA VIII/32-64 RAM DDR3-4/Alim Enermax Platimax 1200-1500 Watt/GTX 1080TI FE OC +20%/ SLI TITAN X PASCAL OC+20% /Corsair 800D/900D /VIRPIL T50-57 MONGOOST/ Hotas/Cougar/Warthog / MFG rudder pedals / Oculus CV1 ./WHEEL BASE THRUSTMASTER TS-PC RACER-WHEEL ROSOF1 Ferrari modder SIMDISPLAY SIMR-F1/WHEEL MERCEDES F1-HAMILTON 2016 SIMULAJE « AKIRA »....

user_online.gif report.gif edit.gif

45fps is not acceptable for me. I wander what settings would give you constant 90fps?

I tested using my settings as above (VR pd 1.2, MSAAx2, AAx16 and both textures on low, view distance high, no shadows, trees 80%, clutter about half) on the Instant Action Free Flight Caucasus mission and got 90 at all times, even low and doing barrel rolls and tight turns low. However as I got closer to Senaki where ED put alot of statics at the airport in that mission, I hit some brief 45s.

The CPU does have a big impact. On my larger missions, even if I use the stock LOW graphic settings, I still don't get higher than 45 even when I am not near any AI.

Anyone able to get ASW turned off with the latest DCS updates, I'm stuck at max 45 FPS and nothing I tired will get me higher in my Oculas Rift. Running a RTX 2080 TI.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

The more I am reading the more I think the 2080 ti is not going to offer a great deal of improvement for dcs vr. I think we have hit a wall in the code which current hardware (cpu mainly) is now holding things back. Shame cos I was looking forward to buying a 2080 ti - might change my mind again yet though it's still on pre- order

Oculus tool tray should be able to sort this out?

I tried it and turned it off on the main menu and also created a DCS profile and turned it off there, still stuck at 45 FPS max :(.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Anyone able to get ASW turned off with the latest DCS updates, I'm stuck at max 45 FPS and nothing I tired will get me higher in my Oculas Rift. Running a RTX 2080 TI.

How are you reading your fps? I turn off ASW with the tray tool and check fps with the tray tool hud.

On the Nevada map it moves around between 70 and 90 fps over the desert and a steady 45fps low through Vegas

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

How are you reading your fps? I turn off ASW with the tray tool and check fps with the tray tool hud.

On the Nevada map it moves around between 70 and 90 fps over the desert and a steady 45fps low through Vegas

I just used the tray tool hud and it def is stuck at 45 fps and even when I check if ASW is enabled with the tray tool hud, it says its off but I still can't go past 45 FPS. Getting frustrating where I'm just going to go back to 4K monitor and track IR.

Edited by Naruto

I just used the tray tool hud and it def is stuck at 45 fps and even when I check if ASW is enabled with the tray tool hud, it says its off but I still can't go past 45 FPS. Getting frustrating where I'm just going to go back to 4K monitor and track IR.

Don't worry about the frames. Personally I never look at the, I just keep ASW on auto and lets the system deal with it. If it's 90 or 45 I can't tell.

Don't worry about the frames. Personally I never look at the, I just keep ASW on auto and lets the system deal with it. If it's 90 or 45 I can't tell.

For me i seem to notice a slight stutter when asw kicks in so i leave in always on. I find the ghosting more annoying than the shimmer buy I love the ka50 at the minute so 45 fps is not too bad

I running with the Rift CV1,

RTX 2080, i7x8700k, 32GB ddr4PC3200,

I have these settings,

I turn on OTT and have great frames from time to time, sometimes I have to relaunch because the OTT didnt turn on or ASW didnt turn off.

but my average in-googles is 30 to 70 fps, dependant on map, altitude and NVIDIA Drivers, current ones ATM are 416.34. I found using the 1 for pre-rendered frames "1" is the best for me, I think it's because of the monitor Im on which is samsung 32" 144hrz, or maybe because of the googles, but now I see a smooth LOD and no ghosting from the LOD.

just my 50 cent worth. of experience with VR so far, I love it too.

:pilotfly:

thanks for reading.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

As with previous cards, surely the drivers will only get better/more efficient as the weeks/months progress resulting in greater FPS?

One would think and hope so.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|