Meet and Greet

11 hours ago, mmike87 said:

I also bought MSFS as well for when I want to enjoy the scenery and not get shot at.

You know, not all missions in DCS involve shoting. You can run any free flight mission or make one yourself to enjoy the scenery and flying :thumbup:

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 4/14/2023 at 3:55 AM, draconus said:

You know, not all missions in DCS involve shoting. You can run any free flight mission or make one yourself to enjoy the scenery and flying :thumbup:

True, I think the visuals in MSFS are much better ... and being able to fly over any point on Earth is pretty cool. That said, I've spent most of the past few days when I have had time to play in DCS learning primarily AA systems first. At some point, I need to settle on a HOTAS configuration, but the tweaking is part of the fun.

Hey all,

Baron here, new to DCS, but have been in the flightsim community for donkeys years. Mostly msfs. I’ve been eyeballing lock on fire as long as it existed and decided it’s time for me to take the plunge. I’m looking forward to the technical side (I realise the more professional modules are quite realistic, but for me that technical side is part of the fun!), and already started contemplating a home cockpit. 

A long time ago I build my own panel for fsx, and ended up selling it to some foundation that introduces kids into aerospace. Quite good fun and a learning opportunity. 
current technology is much more advanced than 20 years ago, soo that should make building panels quite fun!

I’ll save the technical mumbo jumbo for the relevant forums, just washed to say hi and looking forward to being part of the community. 
😊😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All-

David here (Whippet41). I live on the east coast of Florida. I'm somewhat new to DCS.  I've been working on the P-47D and the 56th Fighter Group Campaigns.  My Dad flew with the 56th Fighter Group out of Boxted, England from August '44 till the end of WWII.  I was assigned to the 56th Fighter Group 61st Sq when it was at MacDill AFB, hence the patch. At that time the Sq was converting from F-4's to the F-16.  

Typically, fly in mornings to mid-afternoons.  I also explore MSFS 2020 and the PMDG 737.  Currently, working with the A-10C platform learning the basic systems. Next steps will be to learn more about mission planning and exploring the multi-player arena.  

Out...

• Like 3

Thanks for having me!! 🙂

I'm usually a very active and positive/constructive part of any gaming community in a game that I play. So look for me to be in the forums regularly, and be prepared for a lot of questions. I ask for your patience in advance.

I played War Thunder for while and was somewhat successful but the MMO business model is very aggravating to me and gets old quick. I won't uninstall it and may play it from time to time but I'm going to make the switch to DCS as, my primary game to play.

I've wanted to switch for a while but just needed to prepare mentally . 

I downloaded the base game several years ago, and then bought several things last year when they were on sale. Since then I've been piecing together a good setup. I've updated my PC, bought a decent HOTAS (and pedals), monitor, as well as other things.

The last 6 or 7 days I've been setting up my HOTAS, practicing things like take off and landing, start up and shut down, and really learning my cockpit.

I'm taking it one aircraft at a time, right now its the AV-8B.

Any suggestions, guidance is more than welcome.

And thanks again for having me!

• Like 3

AV8B Desert 3 Signature Pic 500 x 100.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself . I'm Will. Flight sim noob.. My nephew and brother got me into MSFS so I bought a Honeycomb ALPHA and BRAVO and we played nonstop for a week or two and then for one reason or another they stopped flying, leaving me solo in the skies. As i continued on my own i got pretty tired of the bugs MSFS has and also got bored aimlessly flying around airport to airport. I started doing the Maverick missions and was greatly entertained so I searched for a sim that also included a lil pew pew as well.... then i found DCS..... now i'm a junkie. I ordered a WInwing Orion 2 Max setup and some TB Velocity one peddles to start out with, and have been living and breathing DCS ever since. I'm looking for a training squadron preferably EST that is active and not afraid to take on newbies like myself. I have VR, Trackir and the following modules. F/A-18c, F-16c, F-14, and Ah-64D. I fly the F-16 more than the others but am open to adapting to the squads needs/requirements. Hope to see yall in the sky (unless you're the one shooting at me) 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 3:51 PM, mmike87 said:

Hi all, new DCS player here. I have been playing flight sims on and off since the original SubLogic flight simulator on a PC XT and some instrument-only sims on my TRS-80. Decided to get back into it and jumped in with both feet. I acquired Winwin Orion 2 HOTAS set, VKB T-Rudders, and a Reverb 2. 

I of course downloaded DCS, and after considerable research and childhood fantasies, chose the F-16C as my first aircraft to attempt to master. It was overwhelming at first and still is to a degree, but I have made a lot of progress after spending two days flying training missions just to fine-tune the HOTAS bindings. 

I also bought MSFS as well for when I want to enjoy the scenery and not get shot at. 🙂

In terms of VR, my 4080 and 11700K are handling DCS in VR smoothly. I struggle a bit whenever I have to interact with the keyboard in VR, and also use the mouse to select controls that are not mapped to the Winwing controls. The mouse seems very jittery when combined with the VR head tracking. I am sure I'll get used to it.

Anyway, going to play solo for a while and then seek out some multiplayer experiences for beginners and see how I can embarrass myself. :)

Check out the 457th Fighting Spads, we are laid back and love teaching new folks. https://discord.gg/YRFgUcVC

19 hours ago, Will77 said:

Hello,

Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself . I'm Will. Flight sim noob.. My nephew and brother got me into MSFS so I bought a Honeycomb ALPHA and BRAVO and we played nonstop for a week or two and then for one reason or another they stopped flying, leaving me solo in the skies. As i continued on my own i got pretty tired of the bugs MSFS has and also got bored aimlessly flying around airport to airport. I started doing the Maverick missions and was greatly entertained so I searched for a sim that also included a lil pew pew as well.... then i found DCS..... now i'm a junkie. I ordered a WInwing Orion 2 Max setup and some TB Velocity one peddles to start out with, and have been living and breathing DCS ever since. I'm looking for a training squadron preferably EST that is active and not afraid to take on newbies like myself. I have VR, Trackir and the following modules. F/A-18c, F-16c, F-14, and Ah-64D. I fly the F-16 more than the others but am open to adapting to the squads needs/requirements. Hope to see yall in the sky (unless you're the one shooting at me) 

Check out the 457th Fighting Spads, we are laid back and love teaching new folks. https://discord.gg/YRFgUcVC