Two Questions

Hey i got two questions i want answers to. I TJ hind i know ion of them but the other i have no idea on.

1). Is there any advantage to Raid Striping two ssd drives?

2) Is there a difference between a m.2 ssd connected with a SATA adapter and a SATA ssd? How about a m.2 ssd connected to a m.2 bus or whatever its called and a SATA drive connect to a SATA bus connector?

I’m getting ready to do some upgrading on a computer with a dual SATA drive connection and if the m.2 is faster and there’s no advantage to striping SATA ssd drives ill use a m.2 ssd I’m taking out of another computer in it for qa boot os drive and use the other SATA port on the pci card for something else. I initially configured the 2 sata ssds in a striped array without fully thinking it through to get one large ssd but I’m thinking it wasn’t needed so when i reconfigure the system I’m going to separate the drives since i need to reinstall the os anyway since i screwed up and repartitioned it some time ago and the system has been dead ever since. If it matters this is a Mac Pro and I’m planning on installing a windows on the other ssd then add a third and forth and fifth ssd for xp11,dcs and my photo apps the last drive will be a we red 4tb hddfor library use.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

1) Yes it will be faster at reading data, but if either drive fail u r screwed

(personally I would never bother with this type of RAID)

2) M.2 SSD is faster than SSD thru sata (generally)

If you want performance get a M.2 NVME drive if your system support it

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I’m taking a 1/2 tb out of my laptop and putting a 2tb in since I get one m.2 drive and 1 SATA drive in the Mac Pro I think I’ll order another 1/2 tb m.2 and 2 SATA adapters for the Mac Pro and two more 2.5 adapters so I can use the 1tb ssds in the 3.5” drive bays in the last I’ll put a 4tb red for non apps that should make it a faster machine one m.2 for Mac OS and apps, one m.2 for win 7 or 10 then the SATA ssds forxp11, dcs and ps/lr

I hope dcs will run on it it’s a 5,2 should beat most PCs running Windows from seeIng what other frankentoshes are doing of similar setups minus the drives.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

What type of m.2 are you getting ? SATA or NVME ? Two very different things..

How can you tell them part?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

A NVMe drive is clearly labeled and marketed as such. If it doesn't say "NVMe PCIe x4" somewhere on the box but only mentions "M2" then it likely is not an NVMe based drive.

If you have the option, for sure grab a NVMe drive over a standard SATA based SSD drive.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I’ll have to see what it came with if it’s a nvme then I’ll have to buy a nvme m.2 tore-lace I and use the non nvme in th mac

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Mac uses BootCamp, which is nothing other but a Bootloader like Grub.

No, it's no emulator, it's native.

You decide upon booting what to boot, either MacOS or Windows.

BootCamp is the name of the Win10_Drivers_&_Tools for your Mac to install Windows on it.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hey i got two questions i want answers to. I TJ hind i know ion of them but the other i have no idea on.

1). Is there any advantage to Raid Striping two ssd drives?

Many drawbacks but also 1 positive thing.

My 2 256GB SSD's were too small, each one alone, so I Striped them and now have enough free space in one logical volume instead of 2 x half of that.

Other than that, dont touch it