2 SSDs questions

Hello folks, due to space limitations on my current SSD (a 256 gb Samsung 840 Pro from 2013) I may soon acquire a second SSD. It won’t be an m2 nvme or anything, just a regular SATA drive. I’m looking at probably a 500 gig Samsung 860 EVO or a Crucial MX500.

So performance wise the SSDs should be fairly even. My main question: is there going to be any noticeable performance difference based on where I locate:

- my OS (Windows 7)

- my DCS install

- my pagefile

So things like:

- Is it better to have DCS and page file on the same SSD or on separate ones?

- Is it better to have DCS on my OS drive or on the other drive?

- Or should everything just all be together on the newer drive?

- Some other combination of options

Right now I have 8 gigs of DDR 3 for system RAM but I may upgrade this at the same time as acquiring the second SSD to either 16 or 24 gigs.

Thanks!

I suggest this:

1. SSD ( old ) = OS + PageFile

2. SSD ( new ) = Apps/Games + PageFile

That leaves choices for the OS which drive to use if needed

Additional 8GB DDR3 is a GOOD idea !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Dont expect too much performance boost by any of these settings. Theoretically there are settings, which might be better but I highly doubt that the difference is that noticable. The true performance comes out of your GPU. Except for this fact, bitmaster is right.

Dont get 24GB Ram. This would mean you have 2x8GB and 2x4GB. In the most cases the ram-clock decreases, if 4 slots were used instead of 2. So you would have more but slower RAM. Get 2x8GB. Its surely enough for gaming. And dont spend to much money for an old RAM format because DDR3 isnt very future-proof anymore.

Edited by PicksKing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

I suggest this:

1. SSD ( old ) = OS + PageFile

2. SSD ( new ) = Apps/Games + PageFile

That leaves choices for the OS which drive to use if needed

Thanks! Didn't think about the option of having two pagefiles.

Dont expect too much performance boost by any of these settings. Theoretically there are settings, which might be better but I highly doubt that the difference is that noticable. The true performance comes out of your GPU. Except for this fact, bitmaster is right.

I know, but I figure if I am going to have 2 SSDs I might as well set it up in the most efficient way, even if the gain probably isn't really noticeable :)

Dont get 24GB Ram. This would mean you have 2x8GB and 2x4GB. In the most cases the ram-clock decreases, if 4 slots were used instead of 2. So you would have more but slower RAM. Get 2x8GB. Its surely enough for gaming. And dont spend to much money for an old RAM format because DDR3 isnt very future-proof anymore.

Well, since right now what I have is already the 2 x 4 I will get the 2 x 8 and then I figure I might as well try all four of them for 24 gigs and see how it does and if it sucks, I take out the old 2 x 4 and settle for 16. Getting another 2 x 4 (for 4 x 4) sounds like it'll be a bad idea then.

Yeah it's a bit wasteful spending on DDR 3 I guess but I really can't go on a full upgrade including motherboard and CPU so it is what it is.

For your SSD setting I have another idea.

How about getting a M.2 PCIe SSD. Your board might be too old for having a dedicated M.2 PCIe slot, if it still has DDR3 RAM slots but for maybe 20 bucks you can get an adapter to connect an M.2 SSD over a conventional PCIe slot. M.2 SSDs arent very expensive any more and approximately 6 times as fast as SATA SSDs. I bought a M.2 for myself recently and I already forgot how loading stutters feel ;)

But you should keep an eye on your PCIe layout to avoid interfering between all your PCI devices. Older chipsets have fewer PCIe-lanes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

forgive the intrusion but with the SSD it is better to have the paging files?

I read on a blog that the ssd should not do it.

I am buying an 860 evo from 1 tb I think to load windows 10 dcs and other games directly on this. do I do well?

forgive the intrusion but with the SSD it is better to have the paging files?

I read on a blog that the ssd should not do it.

Many, many, years ago the first SSD’s had a limited life regarding write-cycles .. so, on those times it made sense to limit the amount of write operations that the SSD had to perform.

Thus there are many old tips suggesting to put the pagefile (which sustain a lot of write activity) and the Temp folder on a conventional Hard driverather than on the SSD.

Current SSD’s have now such a large write-cycle allowance, that those tips are no longer needed nor relevant.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

[...]

Current SSD’s have now such a large write-cycle allowance, that those tips are no longer needed nor relevant.

Indeed. And by the way, putting the pagefile on a HDD would be a massive speed limit to access this file. That means you would circumvent the advantages of a SSD and it would become useless.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PageFile ---> SSD

HDD only for "cold" storage and backups.

You can put a PF on any drive, but for DCS I would prefer SSD's only.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X