ALWAYS Run DCS in full screen on your monitor

Thick8

Completely incorrect. In windowed mode, with the taskbar at the bottom, it's possible to hit the taskbar, in fact it's inevitable, but you can never do that with the taskbar at the side. It's very handy to have the desktop right there if you need it.

So to recap: you are completely wrong about the taskbar at the side also being a problem.

I haver been flying in DCS World for as long as VR has been available, and I can promise you, it works.

The task bar at the side is a problem if you don't like having the task bar at the side for all other applications.

I simply can't understand why anyone would want to contradict the plain truth of the matter, and complicate it in this way.

I haver been flying in DCS World for as long as VR has been available, and I can promise you, it works.

The task bar at the side is a problem if you don't like having the task bar at the side for all other applications.

I simply can't understand why anyone would want to contradict the plain truth of the matter, and complicate it in this way.

You can put the taskbar back at the bottom when you’ve finished with DCS. Anyway, you were wrong.

Actually I was right, and you don't NEED to move the task bar anywhere. Just press Alt+Enter, as has been stated ad nauseum here, and you will have full screen, and you won't have any situations where you click outside the DCS Window.

What is wrong with you people? I am not being pedantic, nor am I being a twit. You can and should use full screen, and you have been able to do so since 1.5 were a lad.

Please stop spreading rubbish because it is you who is wrong and not I. If in doubt refer to what Skatezilla said in his post.

Actually I was right, and you don't NEED to move the task bar anywhere. Just press Alt+Enter, as has been stated ad nauseum here, and you will have full screen, and you won't have any situations where you click outside the DCS Window.

What is wrong with you people? I am not being pedantic, nor am I being a twit. You can and should use full screen, and you have been able to do so since 1.5 were a lad.

Please stop spreading rubbish because it is you who is wrong and not I. If in doubt refer to what Skatezilla said in his post.

You said:

No, it just moves the task bar to a place where you click less often.

Which was wrong because you won't ever click it.

Then you said:

The task bar at the side is a problem if you don't like having the task bar at the side for all other applications .

Which was wrong as well because you can easily move the taskbar back to the bottom for other apps. Some people like to have a quick peek at the desktop without having to hit ALT+ENTER. Sorry if people aren't doing what you tell them.

One coule Change taskbar settings to autohide it to resolve as well.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

You said:

Which was wrong because you won't ever click it.

Then you said:

Which was wrong as well because you can easily move the taskbar back to the bottom for other apps. Some people like to have a quick peek at the desktop without having to hit ALT+ENTER. Sorry if people aren't doing what you tell them.

Jeez you really are a persistent one aren't you!

What I said was you don't ever have to move the task bar to make DCS World work. There is actually a much easier and more relevant fix - just hit Alt+Enter to go to full screen mode. To take a quick peek at the desktop, just Alt+Tab as you will need to do to take the focus away from DCS World anyway. For your information, you do occasionally have to click against the side of the window too, and when you do so, the task bar gets in the way there.

Just because you have a different method that you use to bodge things doesn't make your way the correct way.

Nor does it mean I am telling people what to do, I am merely pointing out the easiest way to make the system work as it is designed to. As was the OP, and Skatezilla, and everyone else that is wise to ignore your misguided advice.

Full screen works. It works precisely as it was designed to, and therefore no one needs to start shifting the task bar around to get round a problem that simply doesn't exist.

Get it, don't get it, who cares? But to suggest the correct method is incorrect simply because you have an impractical alternative is frankly absurd. Get over yourself!

Edited by NeilWillis

1) My task bar is on autohide.

2) I don't run in full screen mode.

3) I have the option to constrain the mouse to the DCS window enabled.

4) With the above options, I have never left the DCS World window except by using ALT-TAB.

The only question is whether I would get better FPS with the full screen option enabled. But what I already see is my system tends to drop and lock on 45 fps whenever there is a lot of stuff going on, otherwise it locks at the preferred 90 fps for Rift. When the system is stable at 45 fps, I am pretty happy. It is only when I see stuttering that I am disappointed, and 2.5 seems to have introduced an intermittent stutter problem I did not have in 1.5 or 2.1.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

alt-enter fixes the intermittent stutter every 20-30 seconds..

in fact i know i have forgotten to press it because i see that judder.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Jeez you really are a persistent one aren't you!

What I said was you don't ever have to move the task bar to make DCS World work. There is actually a much easier and more relevant fix - just hit Alt+Enter to go to full screen mode. To take a quick peek at the desktop, just Alt+Tab as you will need to do to take the focus away from DCS World anyway. For your information, you do occasionally have to click against the side of the window too, and when you do so, the task bar gets in the way there.

Just because you have a different method that you use to bodge things doesn't make your way the correct way.

Nor does it mean I am telling people what to do, I am merely pointing out the easiest way to make the system work as it is designed to. As was the OP, and Skatezilla, and everyone else that is wise to ignore your misguided advice.

Full screen works. It works precisely as it was designed to, and therefore no one needs to start shifting the task bar around to get round a problem that simply doesn't exist.

Get it, don't get it, who cares? But to suggest the correct method is incorrect simply because you have an impractical alternative is frankly absurd. Get over yourself!

These’s nothing impractical in flicking the taskbar to the side. It works fine. You said the taskbar could still be clicked on in game but you were wrong and you are flailing around in a strop over it.

These’s nothing impractical in flicking the taskbar to the side. It works fine. You said the taskbar could still be clicked on in game but you were wrong and you are flailing around in a strop over it.

Agree, moving taskbar to the right side of the screen works for me (not in full screen mode). When switching to full screen (ALT+ENTER) makes a noticeable difference, especially when flying low and looking down at the ground and trees. I don't know how much of FPS gain. All I care about is that it definitely makes ground smoother.

Edited by RUS38

Dear Neil "How to Win Friends and Influence People" Willis,

I apologise for my previous post, now deleted (by a mod who aspires to join the FSB, perhaps?).

I was merely commenting on your posting style, which runs the risk of making you come across as pedantic and supercilious. More's the shame as, no doubt, away from these forums, you are polite, charming and considerate. And handsome.

Still, after numerous posts of handbag swinging, we are no further as to whether running DCS fullscreen improves performance in VR.

Is anyone able to provide me with a quantifiable way for me to test this on my system? As I have posted previously, my (limited) testing has so far shown no discernible difference.

So far all we have are unverifiable assertions.

Edited by Hippo
grammer (and spelling!)

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

alt-enter fixes the intermittent stutter every 20-30 seconds..

in fact i know i have forgotten to press it because i see that judder.

Is this a known issue? I don't get this, fullscreen or not.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

FPS alone doesn't tell the whole story.

Please could you elaborate on this statement, what other metrics do you use?

I haven't had any problems with my mouse going outside of the DCS window while in VR. My checkbox is set to constrain the mouse to the game.

Exactly my experience as well. I suppose it's possible to cause a problem if you click right on the edge of the VR display, but I find this to be a very unlikely scenario. And one that only a pedant would find the need to bring up in this particular discussion ;)

Edited by Hippo

@hippo

i get a much more stable frame rate with alt-enter.

it stays above 45 fps most of the time.

i notice when its not in full screen because i start getting this repeating judder where it falls to 40 every 30 seconds or so.

so to me its obvious when its not in full screen.

its also obvious that full screen has an effect.

because VR below 45 is very noticeable.

and alt-enter fixes it.

you probably don't notice the flux as much because you stay above 45.

but if you want to get closer to 90 more often. try it with alt-enter.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

@hippo

i get a much more stable frame rate with alt-enter.

it stays above 45 fps most of the time.

i notice when its not in full screen because i start getting this repeating judder where it falls to 40 every 30 seconds or so.

so to me its obvious when its not in full screen.

its also obvious that full screen has an effect.

because VR below 45 is very noticeable.

and alt-enter fixes it.

you probably don't notice the flux as much because you stay above 45.

but if you want to get closer to 90 more often. try it with alt-enter.

Thanks for replying. I do not see any judders or any difference with alt-enter. With the variation in systems, settings, etc, I suppose it's not surprising that different people are having different experiences.

If you can spare the time and hassle perhaps you could try what I posted here and let me know if you see a noticeable frame rate difference between full-screen and windowed?

Dear Neil "How to Win Friends and Influence People" Willis,

I apologise for my previous post, now deleted (by a mod who aspires to join the FSB, perhaps?).

I was merely commenting on your posting style, which runs the risk of making you come across as pedantic and supercilious. More's the shame as, no doubt, away from these forums, you are polite, charming and considerate. And handsome.

Still, after numerous posts of handbag swinging, we are no further as to whether running DCS fullscreen improves performance in VR.

Is anyone able to provide me with a quantifiable way for me to test this on my system? As I have posted previously, my (limited) testing has so far shown no discernible difference.

So far all we have are unverifiable assertions.

I’ve stopped looking at frame rate counter and just go with ‘if it feels right...’ and full screen or windowed, I’m unable to tell the difference. Using default VR settings I get a very smooth experience.

If you want something quantifiable then we need a benchmark mission with a heavy load. I’m happy to take some measurements if you or some sets the benchmark.