Oculus Rift

Pinefang

I was checking out the Oculus VR headset and noticed that it comes with two sensors on posts. I'm not sure what they are for but I guess they are needed, so my question is how much room do I need in my PC area for these two things. My PC is in a cubby hole in my family room which is about 6' long and 6' wide. I sit within a foot of the back wall. How much room do I need to use these two items. My computer sits against the opposite wall so where would I mount these two sensors? Thanks in advance.

Width dcs and xp11 i only hook up 1 sensor and stow it in a corner out of the way

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

The sensors are for tracking the Rift's position in space. DCS only needs to see one of them 'cause you will normally be sitting in a fixed position. The second sensor comes into play if you are playing a more active game, moving around your play space. I only use one sensor for my Sim Pit and it sits less than a metre from my head. You should be fine in your cubby hole :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

If you have strange head movement when turning the head around, you can use 2 sensors (one at each side of your desk/monitor) to improve mapping. It helped on my side. You don't need to do calibration extensively for this. They are calibrated automatically on each start.

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

Yep I have my two sensors sitting on my desk, one on each end, angled in and up slightly.

Works a charm.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The sensors are for tracking the Rift's position in space. DCS only needs to see one of them 'cause you will normally be sitting in a fixed position. The second sensor comes into play if you are playing a more active game, moving around your play space. I only use one sensor for my Sim Pit and it sits less than a metre from my head. You should be fine in your cubby hole :)

A single sensor is indeed fine for cockpits. Yes the dual sensors are to provide tracking for the hand controllers in 6dof, to reduce occlusion, but with a single sensor, the HMD is still tracked in all 6dof whether your sitting down or not.

Tiny lateral movements cause major shifts in near/far field objects through the mechanism of parallax and even in the confines of being strapped in a cockpit our heads can move 20-40cm in those axes so they are critical to track in VR or else the experience is instantly nauseating.

Would you be able to post a pic or give dimension of your setup please dburne?

The minimum I could get for two sensors from a CV1 was 5ft with 4ft 3in between the two.

Thanks.

My two sensors sit on my desk, 5 ft apart - angled in and upward slightly. They sit back from the front of the desk about 2ft. ( I have a pretty large desk).

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My two sensors sit on my desk, 5 ft apart - angled in and upward slightly. They sit back from the front of the desk about 2ft. ( I have a pretty large desk).

Yeah, I have a 6' desk (IIRC, can't measure it as I'm away on business), and the computer is on one side. So my sensors are about 5' apart and 2' or 3' in from the front of the desk.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have a single sensor, I have unscrewed the base and attached the sensor tube to a clip fixed to the upper back surface of my screen in such a way that the sensor sits just above the top of my screen. I am able to tilt it up & down, and due to the nature of the clip I can twist it left and right. The screen sits at arms length in front of me and the Rift works very well.

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup: