upgrade 55" tv vs VR

Lenux

I have right now a 55 inches 4k TV as the main monitor, but I'd like to upgrade to 65 inches

Would it be worth the upgrade, or I should better wait for the next VR?

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

• ED Team

Ive just gone the other way lol

I was using a 49" 4k tv but found it was to much for me and my eyes, downgraded back to 27" 1080p lol

Going to go the VR route eventually.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Ive just gone the other way lol

I was using a 49" 4k tv but found it was to much for me and my eyes, downgraded back to 27" 1080p lol

Going to go the VR route eventually.

Rumor has it Oculus will have a big 2 year anniversary sale sometime next week...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

What about HTC Vive Pro, Pimax 4k?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

i wanted to swap back from VR to triple 50inch tv's so i can build panels and make the flying experience more hands on. but the simple fact i can naturally look around in VR makes it a hard choice.

I have been using a four screen set-up for XP11 for more than a year, 1x50" 1080p front screen, and 2x32" 1080p for the side views and a 21” 1080p screen running Air Manager for my instrument panel.

After only 20 minutes in VR, I disconnected the two side screens, removed them from my simpit, stowed the 21”screen, and haven't flown in DCS or XP (or driven Assetto Corsa) in 2D ever since.

Edited by dmwierz

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

Vive Pro is overpriced. The current Pimax no, but the upcoming ones, maybe.

55 4k to 65 4k? Not unless the 55 would be a big upgrade for a different set, eg. living room.

Overpriced or not : the question is, is it worth?!

I was well on a path of a 4 screen setup. Started out with a 39" HDTV and a 21.5" touchscreen. Had it all planned out for buying a couple more large screens....

then along came VR, and it hasn't been the same since. I'm saving the coin that I would've used for the 2 additional large screens. That funding will be used for my next rig upgrade, (to support a future VR upgrade).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

So, VR is the way to go?

Yes. I had a 40” 3 screen setup with a 4th 22” touchscreen for Helios. Most of my A-10 panels were done. Sold the TVs, put the panels in the garage and made a VR chair. I don’t even play 2d games at all anymore.

I got the Samsung Odyssey. If you have a system that can run it; I highly recommend it as the best, most cost effective, option for VR.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

For DCS I prefer the Rift all day and I have a 50" with a 27" touch screen. The 50" is still difficult because of how far I have to put it away from the touchscreen. But the main reason is, track ir sucks compared to being in the jet with the Rift.

I still use the 50" setup with BMS but it's much easier to see things in BMS for me anyway.

Get the Rift from Best buy if you can, try it and if you don't like it take it back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

As long as DF'ing isn't your main purpose for DCS then VR is absolutely the only way to go!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

But you should keep this in mind that you wont get graphic quality in VR. Resolution is a low as compared to TV. But situational awarness is good in VR. Also its a bit cheap as compared to 4K tvs. $400 VR against $1500 4K 65" TV.

im running the pimax 4K with dcs on low settings due to my pc being so old. i still think its clear enough to spot targets and read gauges with PD on 1.0 if my pc was capable to run it at 1.5 with high settings in dcs world id probably not have a job anymore as id never stop flying.

It's definitely worth waiting for the next generation of VR. You cannot get the same feeling of immersion even on a 200" screen :-)

Would the GTX 1080 Ti be okay for the next gen VR ??

I have right now a 55 inches 4k TV as the main monitor, but I'd like to upgrade to 65 inches

Would it be worth the upgrade, or I should better wait for the next VR?

Thank you

Depends on your wallet. You can wait an awful long time :)

VR is very subjective and relates strongly to the DCS style & environment you choose to fly in.

I went from 50" 4K curved + 3 monitors to VR and never went back. I fly mostly helos.... Now the wife stole the TV and the kids stole all bar 1 of the monitors...

A friend who flies only Helos has a 65" curved and VR... the VR sits on the shelf for the most part.

So there you see both sides of the coin, only you can choose...

SIGBLOCK.png

Would the GTX 1080 Ti be okay for the next gen VR ??

To be honest, probably not.

DCS is already very demanding with current gen VR hardware. I have a 1080ti and an Oculus Rift and still wish I had more horsepower and you need to find the right balance between quality and performance in the settings.

I have backed the Pimax 8k, which looks very promising, but I'm not optimistic what performance is concerned. If I run the Rift at equivalent pixel density I don't get the desired fps. I'd go so far as to say it's unplayable.

I'm glad that the next generation of nVidia cards is also rumoured to be released in about two months time.

You might fare better with a VivePro as the step up in resolution is less dramatic, but expect many concessions to be made with the 1080ti.

All that being said, if you have the money, VR is more than worth it for DCS. Having flown in DCS with an Oculus Rift for about a year now, I can confidently say it's a better experience, despite the admittedly much worse resolution (coming from a 40" 4k screen).

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat