Buddy lasing in A-10C

ThirtykayDEC

So i was lasing for some M-2000C in my squadron, and almost every time the bomb wasn't catching the laser signal of my TGP. Just to give number i got only 5 bomb tracking and hitting target on 18 dropped.

I really want to know why is this happening, we got same laser code 1688 , laser ready, L flashing when lasing, 15000 ft and i was at maximum 3nm behind the dropper.

I was thinking about the FOV of the GBU-12,which is too small to capture the laser but i'm not sure so far.

Or maybe it's a bug ?

So, can someone help me with this and clear those doubt circling in my head ?

Thanks,

I tried GBU-12 buddy lasing between M2K and A-10C when the M2K came out. Back then, we figured that the CCRP solution in the M2K wasn't suited for the GBU - the bombs didn't reliably spot the laser and many of them fell ballistic.

I think the trick was to aim short (or might have been long...?) in order to allow the seeker to spot the illumination. But I don't know if this is still the case, hopefully someone can give more up to date advice.

I expected the same thing with the harrier. Even the DMT couldn't catch the laser on a few runs (we didn't find out why, tried different angles and ranges).

We had an opposite experience with A-10C buddy lasing with one had an TPOD and the other had not but dropped some GBUs well on the targets.

Maybe we should try it with a A-10C with TPOD in "both" mode at night, so we can see where the beam is going and which approach is best to hit.

In addition we observed that if a TPOD on a A-10 is lasing before the same A-10 drops the bombs, the GBU goes up in the sky and then on a ballistic trajectory down far away from the target :huh:

I used to do buddy lasing with random guy I met on the 104th server.

I tried giving him coordinates and him using ccrp, but the success rate was pretty low, so we figured it is because of his INS drift.

He started using CCIP and I started laying WP down + talk on to target after the initial smoke and it worked like a charm.

Pretty fun times

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Mirage LGB delivery for off board lasing is best done with steep dive to have the seeker pointed at laser spot as early as possible. Setting the release point near-side of the target by 1000' or so helps, apparently the early acquisition is more valuable than the energy lost.

INS doesn't matter when designating the target through the HUD. Relative positions are the same. You can't drop an LGB against a set of coordinates anyway.

If you're dropping on coordinates he also needs to be sure he updates his INS.

Create a waypoint on an easily visible landmark (center of a lake, easily visible field/building etc.) a few miles out from the target. Press OBL on the PCA, point the cursor at the landmark, then press the INS Update/Target designate button on the HOTAS. Press the VAL key on the PCN to accept the correction, then run in on the target coordinates from that point.

As Yurgon mentioned, designating a little short of the target relative to the LTL (laser to target line) can also help the GBU "see" the laser.

You can't drop an LGB against a set of coordinates anyway.

Sure you can. Create a point from grids passed, snap pod to grids, CCRP release. Think of the case where you're above the weather and now you have a ground designator or other asset below the cloud deck. JTAC passes a BOC 9-line, you coord the attack plan with the designator and the LGB will pick up the eyeball's laser after going through the clouds.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

Hmm, pretty sure you had to point the jet at the ground and put the diamond-dot on the piece of dirt before pressing the AG designate. I'll see if I can get an LGB CCRP release without visual ground designation.

You're creating a point based off lines 4 and 6 and slewing the TGP there to be able to drop CCRP. But in the scenario I passed, you're above the weather and just staring at clouds - no joy. BOC 9-lines don't require the shooter to be tally. That's how you are able to employ LGBs on coordinates with proper coordination.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD