Visual sharpness test for VR sets

Katmandu

This tiny app presents the same line of text (same size and font) at progressively longer distances. In my Oculus CV1 with default pixel density, I can read up to line 11.

How good is YOUR VR set?:)

This should be a relatively objective test of differences in across models and manufacturers. Different LCDs combined with different optics are a pain to disentangle otherwise.

No need for screenshots, just post the furtherst line you can read without guessing and the VR set you are using.

(the screenshot is just to show what the app looks like, it does not really convey the actual sharpness you get in VR)

Untitled.jpg

Download the app from the description to this video. More info about the app at 3:00

Edited by Katmandu

Interesting and a useful demo to show the effect of PD adjustments. With my RIFT with PD at 1.0 I can read 11. With PD at 1.5 I can read 13.

The only flaw of course is that you know what the text reads anyway. A random string of characters would be more appropriate with a 'look up' answer to check your honesty :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

The video in OP says that Vive's limit is 8m (so line number 8 ), for Vive Pro it is 14m. Would be cool to double check of course.

Nice find, this is exactly what we need!

Do the numbers indicate any kind of virtual distance? 10 metre increments?

1 meter increments.

The only flaw of course is that you know what the text reads anyway. A random string of characters would be more appropriate with a 'look up' answer to check your honesty :)

Nothing wrong with honesty, we have nothing to gain from faking our reports + each set should have multiple owners chiming in. Even if the text strings were randomised, we'd still need honesty as there is no impartial optician checking our guesses :D

Edited by Katmandu

Nice find, this is exactly what we need!

Do the numbers indicate any kind of virtual distance? 10 metre increments?

I believe he said the they are 1 meter increments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MB: B450M Pro4

RAM: 16Gb DDR4

SSD: 500GB

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB

Tried with my rift, results are:

1.0 SS I can read every character clearly on line 10 and nearly all on line 11

At 1.4 SS I can read all characters on line 11 and most on line 12. The whole line can be read down to 14 without guessing, though it's impossible to tell an "o" from an "e" from an "a" at that point, but context gives it away.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Great find, I'm going to fire up the CV1 now and play with PD. I'm 20/20 vision but I swear I can't see a difference beyond PD 1.5, now I'll know!

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

• 2 weeks later...

I ware progressive lens but not in the head set and I can read well to the 11 and bit hazy at 12 did not change any settings just the same as in game

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb