VR sitting position moves up and down intermittentl

Badger633

I have the same problem for months now, in DCS, IL2 and X Plane. I just opened a support ticket with Oculus and they replied DCS is not an officially supported application...

I haven't found the same issue in Robo Recall or Project Cars, but I spend most of my time in DCS.

I would love to find a solution to this annoying issue.

Tried with 2 sensors, with 1 sensor, swapping USB ports, etc

Win 10 - 4690k 4.4 - 1070 - 16gb ram

Confirmed. No problem with robo recall, apollo 11 ect. It seems to be confined to in cockpit DCS.

Need someone to eject after landing and shutting down to try replicate my findings and see if everyone is the same.......

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Ok I will give it a try. Luckily mine does not occur all the time. Usually looking to the side in dog fight or ground attack manoeuvring. Sometimes it is complexly random. I would say about 4 to 5 times a mission. It does seem to be linked to the work load of the computer but not all the time.

System i75930k running at 4.5 gygabyte water 1080 16gb ram Asus x99s win 10pro 1tb SSD oculus cv1 with 1 sensor ( got two but worse then) warthog hotas

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 1 month later...

Still have this vr intermittent head position jumping issue anybody else with this now!

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Have noticed mine doesn't jump around but my custom views settings via RCtrl+numpad 1, 2 etc and then saved using RAlt+1 (or 0, can't remember) seems to randomly reset, mostly to the left. I move over again and have to resave. Seems to happen more often when switching to another airframe, then back to the previous.

• 4 weeks later...
Still have this vr intermittent head position jumping issue anybody else with this now!

I have the exact same issue, and it's VERY annoying!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 weeks later...

+1 jumping up/down problem, but also BACK/FORWARD and LEFT/RIGHT shifting and view ANGLE drifting in the cockpit during dogfights. must constantly reset the view, super annoying! I think it got worse moving from 1.5 to 2.5. Feels like the coordinate updates coming from Rift are relative but not absolute, and DCS is trying to reconstruct my head's position from them. My physical head is always in the same place more or less, so how hard it can be? I have one sensor with a dedicated FrescoLogic PCI card for rift + sensor.

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

• 8 months later...

This is an old thread I started ages ago in connection with my rift. I still have the same problem. That is every now and again especially when staring to the side and the same in dogfights my head height ether jumps or drops about a foot for a few minutes then goes back. This happens a lot on the deck of the Stennis and more so when in multiplayer with my buddy. This using the latest oculus software and two sensors. As recorded in the string I have tried all the normal stuff . 2 Cameras fixed to wall, using USB 3 card as recommended by Oculus ensuring power on all the time to the usbs etc.

After this long time since the start of this thread has anybody had this and solved it.

Looks like I will be leaving the rift shortly just to get a more dependable tracking and head position.

Any help appreciated.

That is certainly weird, can't say I have seen that in the 2+ years I have been using my Rift.

I assume you have tried re-running Sensor setup?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes I have tried 1 sensor then two now on open beta. I think I must be one of the unlucky ones. Its not just in DCS as well !

I75930 4.5 Gygabyte 2080ti Aorus water 1tb SSD Win10 32gb RAM evga 1000 psu

Yes I have tried 1 sensor then two now on open beta. I think I must be one of the unlucky ones. Its not just in DCS as well !

I75930 4.5 Gygabyte 2080ti Aorus water 1tb SSD Win10 32gb RAM evga 1000 psu

Same here, happens not just in DCS. What VR headset are you using?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The oculus rift

Have this jumping issue with my WMR too! :(

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

That's worrying Flummi I was hoping to get free of it by changings to say the hp reverb

I have the issue too!

View shifts or jumps, particularly when looking left or right, for some time it seems (5-10 seconds)

I have to VR recenter to fix it. I haven't been able to link it to any specific events in DCS, other than it usually happens when keeping my view still in a certain direction, for a little while.

No shifting problems in any other applications.

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

Hi Dachs, yes it's so annoying hoping a different type of headset won't do this.

I have tried everything. :-(

I have noticed it even when looking to the side in oculus home.

I have the issue too!

View shifts or jumps, particularly when looking left or right, for some time it seems (5-10 seconds)

I have to VR recenter to fix it. I haven't been able to link it to any specific events in DCS, other than it usually happens when keeping my view still in a certain direction, for a little while.

No shifting problems in any other applications.

This also occurs in IL2, might be power specific or internet? or the application itself?

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Hi Dachs, yes it's so annoying hoping a different type of headset won't do this.

I have tried everything. :-(

I have noticed it even when looking to the side in oculus home.

Hi Glyn. Still having the problem I see. Same here. It is time related and I think is down to a faulty sensor.

Everything is fine for maybe half an hour, then the jumping starts when looking over my right shoulder for maybe ten seconds or more.

Feel your sensors, I have one sensor that runs very much warmer than the other. I put the warm one in front of a fan and that has reduced the severity of the jump, but not the frequency.

Instead of suddenly finding myself looking up at the panel these days, I just jump a few inches.

I think the sensors are going out of vertical sync somehow, and when one loses a strong lock, the other takes over supplying the vertical positioning, which it is giving as a slightly different value.

Are both of your sensors at the same level?

Like you, I am hoping the problem will go away with the arrival of the Reverb.

Hopefully, in a months time the problem will have been put back in its box and placed on a shelf in my man cave.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Me too :(

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry to hear you all have the same problem. Its so annoying. No one seems to be able to get to the bottom of it. :-(

Sorry to hear you all have the same problem. Its so annoying. No one seems to be able to get to the bottom of it. :-(

I think it’s VR connection and randomly resets, like it lost power or connection.

Not sure if other VR brands are having same issue?

Rift oculus, occurring in IL2, and other vr apps.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

What’s strange is that a lot or it seems most do not get this problem. My flying buddy never gets this issue. Set up very similar. The problem is definitely worse for me when on line with him. I am hosting. Also when looking sideways at an airfield or aircraft carrier.

Don´t have these problems, but have you tried to run the room scale setup for the HMD again, especially the part in the setup process, in which you define the ground level. Best would be to define the ground level for the HMD manually, if possible, by setup program - would be like approx 120 cm in a sitting position from HMD to ground. Mostly the Setup process asks to put the HMD to the ground to define the groundlevel.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Yes tried that a number of times. The thing is it is at the right height 99% of the time and then either drops or lifts by about a foot for a short period and then comes back. It never moves left or right only vertically. :-(

As the problem described in the thread, it seemed like when the tracking system looses tracking for a second, the tracking setup jumps back into a default standing position of the HMD until it could get back the tracking and tracks correctly.

For the Lighthouse Laser Tracking System, mirrors or reflecting surfaces like glass wndows in the area could also interfere with the lasertracking. For the Inside-out- tracking of WMR and also the new upcoming devices with inside-out tracking, planar surfaces like walls without furniture or something the inside-out tracking cameras could get fixpoints from might disturb a proper tracking of the device.

For the infrared tracking of the Rift, there might be other infrared emitting sources, like remote controls or something, which might interfere with the tracking system... I don´t know, but would have guessed, that the floor level for the HMD tracking is ´jumping´ for some reason.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Not sure that is totally true as head height jump in cockpit can be up or down. I have looked for other infra red sources but can not find any. Also it seems to happen when head turned to left or right when bombing or in dog fights. Seems more likely when computer under pressure, but not always.get it some times when staring to side on carrier or airfield which friend F18 to side. But thanks for your thoughts.