Please convince me to get the Hornet

Zius

I am a bit on the fence whether or not to get the Hornet, so I thought to ask you guys whether or not to get it.

So far, I have the following reasons to buy it:

- Carrier ops

- Very probably the most capable / modern fighter/bomber in DCS

- Multi-role / swing-role aircraft

- Made by ED & Belsimtek

- Now a bit cheaper

However, I also have a few reasons not to but it:

- I generally prefer older, analogue aircraft instead of FBW

- I mostly just fly around or fly very simple combat missions (e.g. 1v1 dogfight or very simple strike mission) and probably won't need it's advanced capabilities

- I have still quite a few modules left to learn which I already have (e.g. MiG-21, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Gazelle, Ka-50)

- The Hornet is a complicated aircraft and I fear I won't have the time to learn it properly

- In general, I don't have that much time to fly in DCS, that favours simple aircraft over complicated one

So, I would appreciate some thoughts...

Thanks!

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

If I were on your shoes, I would skip the F-18 for now and save the money towards the upcoming F-14, which is older, non multirole, and should be simpler to learn (than the F-18 ) while still providing with the Carrier Ops and an iconic aircraft to just fly around. While you wait for it to appear, take the time to complete the mastery of those planes you already have.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team

Some FAQ's here that might help

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=197186

it is not as complicated as you would think, sure the systems will be a challenge to learn, but things like startup could not be easier.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Tomcat will be multirole btw....

We are getting the Lantirn pod with it.

It also won't be 'simpler' to learn either, its a full fidelity module that accurately reproduces the F-14s systems in DCS.

It will be as 'simple' as learning to operate the real Tomcat ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

No doubt.. watch carefully all beautifull videos of F/A-18 showed, all episodes, and you’ll be sure you have to buy as soon as possible this module. If your passion is this surely the F/A-18 Module is a must to have. I have purchased it as soon as it has been in DCS Shop and I decided it as soon as I saw the pre-purchase video. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

Reading your post, I'd also skip the F/A-18 and go for the F-14 instead. I am much like you: I find FBW aircraft boring to fly.

Myself, I will get both though, and fly both before I make up my mind as to which of the 2 will become my go-to aircraft. Basically the F/A-18 will be a backup for me, in case the quality of finish on the F-14 is not what I expected.

I am starting to get disappointed in most 3rd party developers, and I know ED/BST will deliver a quality product. But I'm also quite sure HB is aware they can't afford to mess up even slightly when it comes to the F-14, so we'll see :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

If I were on your shoes, I would skip the F-18 for now and save the money towards the upcoming F-14, which is older, non multirole, and should be simpler to learn (than the F-18 ) while still providing with the Carrier Ops and an iconic aircraft to just fly around. While you wait for it to appear, take the time to complete the mastery of those planes you already have.
I'm thinking exactly the same. I will go for the F14. When it will be released?

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

I am a bit on the fence whether or not to get the Hornet, so I thought to ask you guys whether or not to get it.

So far, I have the following reasons to buy it:

- Carrier ops

- Very probably the most capable / modern fighter/bomber in DCS

- Multi-role / swing-role aircraft

- Made by ED & Belsimtek

- Now a bit cheaper

However, I also have a few reasons not to but it:

- I generally prefer older, analogue aircraft instead of FBW

- I mostly just fly around or fly very simple combat missions (e.g. 1v1 dogfight or very simple strike mission) and probably won't need it's advanced capabilities

- I have still quite a few modules left to learn which I already have (e.g. MiG-21, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Gazelle, Ka-50)

- The Hornet is a complicated aircraft and I fear I won't have the time to learn it properly

- In general, I don't have that much time to fly in DCS, that favours simple aircraft over complicated one

So, I would appreciate some thoughts...

Thanks!

Honestly.....You have already convinced yourself. You'll buy it. Your just looking for validation at this point.

.... When it will be released?

I think that not even Heatblur knows the answer to that, but my gut feeling is that it will be sometime after the Hornet, but within this year.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Seems a little odd you need convincing to purchase the Hornet… I guess it comes down to how easy it is to persuade you. I don’t think anyone on these forums needs to be a master salesperson to convince you to get the early release of what should be nothing short of a masterpiece… if you are on the fence, simply wait for release and reviews… you may have to pay a bit more, that alone may convince you to purchase now.

ED will deliver on the F-18. It might take longer than we want, but it will be excellent. Some of the 3rd party modules are great, others not so much.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

If you're not completely sold on it and, by the looks of it, it isn't quite your cup of tea, then I'd say skip it for now and go learn the stuff you already have but don't know how to use. The Hornet will eventually be released, and then it'll be completed, and updated, and it will go on sale like any other module.

The best thing you can do right now is play a bit with the Mirage 2000 default campaign. They're from similar generations (though the Hornet is much newer and more advanced) and should present a similar feel in terms of FBW controls and systems, only with less of a workload. If you do enjoy the Mirage a lot and think you'd like to have something similar to it but with better A2G capabilities and that lands on a ship, go for the Hornet. If not, stay with the older stuff. There's an F-4E and MiG-19 coming out this year for example, that'll probably be up your alley.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I did bite the bullet afterall.

It is, after all, a close to perfect representative of modern combat flight simulation. So I finally considered it to be an essential module to have, whether it would be completely my cup of tea or not.

I am for sure looking forward to it!

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Just an update: I did bite the bullet afterall.

It is, after all, a close to perfect representative of modern combat flight simulation. So I finally considered it to be an essential module to have, whether it would be completely my cup of tea or not.

I am for sure looking forward to it!

Congrats!!!