Cold War 1947 - 1991 - Page 343 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #3421
CrazyGman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmum View Post
Not quite what I was getting at - people ask for the 27T now and then because of the "IRST stealth" meme. In reality (well, in DCS too) they're not really intended for that and unless your target is totally unaware, which a Jester-crewed F-14 won't be, they're easily defeated. At that point you're sacrificing one or both of your R-27Rs for them, and still have four empty pylons for short-range IR missiles.

Life would be a lot easier if the 29 could use the R-60 in DCS, but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon. I guess one possible solution is just to make S&D a lone all-aspect mission, even while the rest of the rotation is rear only? That might confuse people who aren't aware of what a briefing is, though

As for R-27R vs F-5 - it can be defeated but I've had reasonably good results with it. Failing that you can always gun him. Gunning a Tomcat is a much riskier proposition, though.
Ehh i've gunned them both. The tomcat is easier, it's a much bigger target. Yeah you can dominate the F-5 with power but man is it a slippery tiny bugger.Makes snap shooting it in a knife fight more tricky then you might think.

Is the R60m really much better then the R60? In my experience with both in the 21 i find the M only marginally better at defeating flares, and thats really the only difference I can tell between the 2. They are both all aspect. I know i've killed players head on with the R60.

Last edited by CrazyGman; 10-19-2020 at 08:47 PM.
CrazyGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:04 PM   #3422
_Firefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGman View Post
They are both all aspect. I know i've killed players head on with the R60.
No longer true, at least not since the most recent Fishbed rework. You can get tone on an afterburning F-5 that is approaching you head-on, but even assuming you launch the missile at the earliest possible moment it won't connect. This is why Alpen reinstated the R-60 in his missions but deliberately left out the R-60M, which does retain limited all-aspect capability. This goes in line with mission rules on CW - no all-aspect IR missiles are allowed.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7A / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U
_Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:21 PM   #3423
CrazyGman

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Firefly View Post
No longer true, at least not since the most recent Fishbed rework. You can get tone on an afterburning F-5 that is approaching you head-on, but even assuming you launch the missile at the earliest possible moment it won't connect. This is why Alpen reinstated the R-60 in his missions but deliberately left out the R-60M, which does retain limited all-aspect capability. This goes in line with mission rules on CW - no all-aspect IR missiles are allowed.
Sure you can. Cut your speed as you approach head on and it will connect. R60m behaves the same, too much speed and it will miss head on.

Also if no all aspect then why do tomcats get the Aim-9L? It's definetly all aspect. I got killed head on with it yesterday, and I just tested it myself head on flying the tomcat

Last edited by CrazyGman; 10-19-2020 at 11:50 PM.
CrazyGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:00 AM   #3424
The_Tau

Yeah Aim 9L is all aspect and the most deadly missile in current scenario (Argentinians can confirm). I think it should be removed.

Tau's Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj3...Ql9d7YKTro0nKA
The_Tau is offline   Reply With Quote